Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-12, 12:11 PM   #1
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Trend towards full image/video post processing in real time - thoughts?

Recently, I've begun to see a trend for developers, specifically on consoles to try and "cheat" hardware limitations by relying heavily on image post processing in the TV's themselves.

Most 120hz TV's nowadays have a feature that "smooths" the video that you're watching to simulate a full 60 frame per second motion. The problem is that the technology isn't perfect, and not everything that happens on screen is predictable by the image processor, so therefore, we get a chopped up effect where part of the image is moving at 60 fps, and the other part of the image is moving at 24 or 30 fps. It creates an almost disconnected feel where the game or video seems to be disjointed or uneven.

If you go into an electronics retailer that sells games and TV's such as Best Buy, you will notice that virtually all of the consoles nowadays are on 120hz televisions, and they have the image smoothing technology turned on. While you're playing the game, you will see that the game runs almost perfectly, but in reality, the game is only running @ 30 fps or less. The only time that this doesn't happen is on games that actually run @ 60 fps, such as forza motorsport and other titles that are heavily reliant on fluid motion. Another place I noticed this was here (the video):

http://store.steampowered.com/app/71..._7_suggest__13

watch the video. The majority of the video is rendered at 30 fps, but there are blips of smoothness in there that make it look like full motion.

What is your opinion on this trend? Is it a good or a bad thing?

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 08:35 PM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Trend towards full image/video post processing in real time - thoughts?

I didn't know they were actively doing it. I always turn that smooth motion crap off. Just looks unnatural, can make HD Cinema content look like it was filmed on a KMart HD handy cam.

As for the demo video. I have noticed especially in trailers they will speed up or smooth out the gameplay footage so it seems to run well. Then gamers say "OMG it's so well coded!"
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-12, 09:49 PM   #3
JohnDio

Default Re: Trend towards full image/video post processing in real time - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Recently, I've begun to see a trend for developers, specifically on consoles to try and "cheat" hardware limitations by relying heavily on image post processing in the TV's themselves.

Most 120hz TV's nowadays have a feature that "smooths" the video that you're watching to simulate a full 60 frame per second motion. The problem is that the technology isn't perfect, and not everything that happens on screen is predictable by the image processor, so therefore, we get a chopped up effect where part of the image is moving at 60 fps, and the other part of the image is moving at 24 or 30 fps. It creates an almost disconnected feel where the game or video seems to be disjointed or uneven.
Actually, you can pretty much make a video to run constantly in 100fps (with better results than those of the early 120Hz TV's). Search for 60fps interpolation and you will find some guides. I'm running my videos in 100fps and, personally, I prefer them that way
JohnDio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 03:48 PM   #4
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

..... no?

ok first off.. relying on a feature that a) the console has no control over turning on or off, and b) isn't guaranteed to be on the consumers TV isn't going to happen. It simply will NOT be part of demoing a game. The fact you are seeing them used on TVs the consoles are hooked into at best buy simply means they didn't turn it OFF.

Second, the video you linked seems to have been recorded at 60fps.. both the gameplay and the text scrolls. A wonderful plan on steams part since alot of steam games run at 60+ fps on moderate systems.. so why show ugly 30fps or 24fps movie clips?

And last.. neither one of 1 and 2 are related to eachother.. ;p