Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-12, 08:03 PM   #1
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default SSD Reliability

Anyone have a recommendation for a very reliable SSD?

I've had 3 OCZ's crash this year, their RMA process also sucked, it felt like I was talking with some Asian dude in his mom's basement... very unprofessional...

I'll never touch OCZ again...

Vanz
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-12, 09:29 PM   #2
mojoman0

Default Re: SSD Reliability

From what I've read intel takes the cake in ssd reliability
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 09:20 AM   #3
cmsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
From what I've read intel takes the cake in ssd reliability
Samsung has the best SSD's when it comes to reliability which isn't suprising as they don't use Sandforce. Unfortunately, due to historically poor performance of Samsung nobody really paid any attention to them. That has changed recently with the introduction of their 830 series of SSD's. Due to their combination of speed and reliability, these series of SSDs maybe the best overall drives on the market at this point in time.

Intel has been working with Sandforce creators to iron out some wrinkles in their controller. Apparently, there was/is a particularly bad problem with Sandforce that can lead to a BSOD under certain circumstances. There was an article on this website 2 or 3 days ago about this as a matter of fact. Anyway, Intel will get an updated Sandforce Controller chip exclusive to them for a fairly long period of time; the reliability of their drives should be really great using this updated Sandforce controller.

I'm hoping SSD prices will drop midway through this year. When Windows 8 comes out, I'd like to purchase that OS and pick up a 120 GB or so Samsung 830 series drive to go along with the OS purchase for a great pickup in system speed.
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 09:32 AM   #4
cmsmith

As a matter of fact, the article this site linked to which discussed this was an AnandTech article talking about Intel's 520 drives, codenamed Cherryville. Here is a link to the article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5508/i...y-to-sandforce
cmsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 10:22 AM   #5
Redeemed

Been rocking two kingston first gen SSDs that I bought used from some members here. Lovin' 'em.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 12:19 PM   #6
dukenukemz
duKe_+

Send a message via MSN to dukenukemz

I currently have two corsair force series 3 60gb ssd's in my desktop that have been running great for over 6+ months now, i also have a 60gb corsair force GT installed in my G74SX laptop. Its running great aswell havent ran into any problems at all with corsairs products. I did throw in a OCZ Vertex 3 into a friends laptop and as far as i know his has been running for atleast six months with no issues.
dukenukemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 12:42 PM   #7
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

I got 4 SSD in the house, one of them showed any trouble so far.

Intel 80GB, is the second gen, not sure what its called - somewhat fast - currently in the server
Corsair 90GB Force 3 - fastest of the ones I own - main rig
OCZ Agility 3 - fast - family pc
Patriot Pyro - the slowest - HTPC
Old 02-09-12, 02:45 PM   #8
frenchy2k1

Intel has the best reliability of all, from all the stats I've seen. Samsung is pretty good too, but usually not quite as fast.

The sandforce chip in the latest intel 520 should be the same as all the others, the firmware is different though. Intel took 12 months to validate it and this should pay big in reliability.

Old 02-10-12, 02:14 PM   #9
Hogrider

Newegg has the Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD on sale now for $184.99 and free shipping using code EMCNHJN24
Is it a pretty fast drive and worth the money? I've never had an SSD but I'd like to get one.
Old 02-10-12, 02:51 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Newegg has the Samsung 830 series 128GB SSD on sale now for $184.99 and free shipping using code EMCNHJN24
Is it a pretty fast drive and worth the money? I've never had an SSD but I'd like to get one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820171545

Old 02-10-12, 05:24 PM   #11
Hogrider

Is that Sandisk drive reliable though? I have read that Samsung and Intel are the most reliable and that Samsung one is supposed to be pretty damn quick.
Old 02-10-12, 05:33 PM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Is that Sandisk drive reliable though? I have read that Samsung and Intel are the most reliable and that Samsung one is supposed to be pretty damn quick.
Well, I've seen nothing but good reviews for it. Me? I'm torn between getting that drive or a larger one. I want it for my boot drive but I'd also be installing a few programs like Norton360, Office 2010, etc. I've outgrown this 30Gig SSD and want a boot SSD that's large enough to last a few years storage wise. In other words a single SSD to replace my two current SSDs.

If I were certain that 120GB would be enough for me size wise, I'd have bought the drive already if that tells you anything.