Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-21-12, 08:52 AM   #181
lee63
Classified

Default Re: Post Your Rig 2012 Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post

Lee - the bridge doesn't bother me. I actually purchased it separately because I hated the ugly orange MSI bridge that came with the cards. This was the only black Crossfire bridge that I could find. I know you can always sleeve them, but I really didn't want to mess with sleeving right now. There's nothing I hate worse than having to sleeve cables.. although I know it's a necessity if you're after that extra clean look.
I just don't understand why AMD hasn't changed the color of the XF bridge, their cards look awesome, I love the red and black as that's pretty much my theme...but that ugly orange has to go.
Old 02-21-12, 09:57 AM   #182
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Thanks, guys. I feel like an idiot for even asking that. I know I could research it, but felt like I'd just ask others. Thanks.
Hey man, life happens.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 11:01 AM   #183
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Further advanced the build by tidying up the wiring so it's less noticable( still more work to do there), added black touch up paint in certain areas, and added the fan controler for the GPU loop as well and cleaning up the interior:

That thing is massive.

Is the radiator on the back drawing air in? Maybe the front rads are pushing air out the front?
Old 02-21-12, 12:14 PM   #184
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Very nice and clean build as always Xion!

However, I'm not really a fan of that case.

What RAID Controller are you using?

Thanks, slawter. Case is usually a matter of preference, but this one looks better in person than it does in pictures. I wanted something that looked futuristic.. kind of a going theme with this build.

I've never really been the conservative type when it comes to my cases.

The RAID is just the on-board controller, but it's 6GB/s instead of 3GB/s. I haven't tested it much yet to see what my speed is, but it's much quicker than anything I've ever had in the past. I had an SSDx2 Raid0 setup before, and this blows it away.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 12:21 PM   #185
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That thing is massive.

Is the radiator on the back drawing air in? Maybe the front rads are pushing air out the front?

Air is being drawn from the top radiator and rear one for the CPU's and motherboard water block cooling(4 fans there + 2 pumps), and the rear area right above the video cards, and expelled towards the front where the vertical radiators for the GPU's are located(4 fans and 3 pumps in that loop).....The next step is water jet cutting the side panels and the front door to allow for better airflow and maybe in such a way to allow the installation of more fans.

This is the most complex build i've ever attempted and simply making it look somewhat clean is a challenge given the space constraints and all the hardware involved.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 02:30 PM   #186
Xion X2

Quote:
Air is being drawn from the top radiator and rear one for the CPU's and motherboard water block cooling(4 fans there + 2 pumps), and the rear area right above the video cards, and expelled towards the front where the vertical radiators for the GPU's are located(4 fans and 3 pumps in that loop).....The next step is water jet cutting the side panels and the front door to allow for better airflow and maybe in such a way to allow the installation of more fans.

This is the most complex build i've ever attempted and simply making it look somewhat clean is a challenge given the space constraints and all the hardware involved.
Yeah, I've had monster rigs like yours before and trying to manage cables can be a nightmare. It's a lot easier if you have a workshop where you can drill some holes in some convenient places (unibits work great for this..). I was lucky that mine had lots of cutouts for me to hide wires behind the motherboard tray. I still spent a good 10-12 hours just working on cable management, though. Very tedious process but worth it in the end to me.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 02:34 PM   #187
ViN86

Quote:

Yea, to be honest, given the amount of money you've spent and the hardware that's in there, it might be better to buy an even bigger full tower case (or one of those giant boxes like DB uses) and then you can use all the rads you want.

You've done a great job given the size limitations, though.
Old 02-21-12, 02:49 PM   #188
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yea, to be honest, given the amount of money you've spent and the hardware that's in there, it might be better to buy an even bigger full tower case (or one of those giant boxes like DB uses) and then you can use all the rads you want.

You've done a great job given the size limitations, though.

Well the case is the largest lian li makes(v2120x) and it's an HPTX case, meaning it's built to handle the EVGA SR-2 motherboard just fine....The tricky part is all the cooling action going on inside with all the pipes going everywhere...

The only thing even larger than this is a mountain mods cube case or a danger den case, but i still wanted this system to be beside my desk, and look good (can't go wrong with lian li there on the looks) without it looking like a mini fridge( mountain mods), or something you see the whole inside of it as it's made of plexiglass almost entirely( danger den).....It also helps that the lian li is all aluminum to somewhat keep the weight down, but it still weighs over 100 lbs even then.

Old 02-21-12, 02:54 PM   #189
Roadhog
Resident Alien

http://www.caselabs.net/
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 03:15 PM   #190
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post

Nice cases indeed, but even their largest model doesn't have the mounting holes for an HPTX motherboard, wich is larger than even an E-ATX board at 15 inches deep,(13.5 inches for an E-ATX dual socket server board, wich the case labs handles it fine)
Old 02-21-12, 03:23 PM   #191
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Nice cases indeed, but even their largest model doesn't have the mounting holes for an HPTX motherboard, wich is larger than even an E-ATX board at 15 inches deep,(13.5 inches for an E-ATX dual socket server board, wich the case labs handles it fine)
Uh, yes they do...
http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-mh10-case/

http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-th10-case/

Both of those will make an HPTX board look tiny in it.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-12, 03:41 PM   #192
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Uh, yes they do...
http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-mh10-case/

http://www.caselabs-store.com/magnum-th10-case/

Both of those will make an HPTX board look tiny in it.

True, but i look at overall dimentions and don't see much difference in practical terms, and it is a tight fit on the lian li as it is, not to mention figuring out a way to pass all the cooling hoses from one side to the other on the case labs.

Case labs MH 10:

15" Wide
19" High.
26" Deep.

Lian Li:
10" Wide.
25" high.
25" deep.

It should be doable but still a tight fit in either case, and i need five 5 1/4 bays for my setup between the blueray player, fan controlers and reservoir + pump assembly.

Edit: only the TH10 would make a difference as it's the same height as the lian li, but it's nearly 500$ with no options.