Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-02, 02:45 AM   #1
KramitDfrog

Send a message via ICQ to KramitDfrog
Default Mandrake 9.0 and drivers

I've just installed mandrake 9 after installing nvidia drivers nuked my rh7.3 install, (I don't know, but it just really didn't work. I used the rpms and did everything right... ah well) and after updating the drivers this time around I appear to be having a whole new batch of troubles.

This time I installed all the source headers etc so I could just compile the drivers and be done with it (plus there are no precompiled rpms for mdk9.0)
un-taring and making the install all went fine, except for one notable message when making the kernel install:

os-interface.c:in function 'KernInitAGP'
os-interface.c:1294:assignment from incompatible pointer type

but despite this it said it installed successfully, and installing the GLX driver also went fine with no dramas (I tried doing the make files a second time later and the warning didn't occur.. i'm guessing the make files don't really compile anything the second time round. i was just desperate)

anyway, I made the appropriate modifications to XF86config-4 and rebooted - it appears to have a problem with the resolutions. everything appears to boot fine, except once I get into X the screen just switchs itself off. it sounds like it boots fine in the background, and using the ctrl-alt-del logout method seems to shut everything down gracefully.

if I look in the log file, I find the the nvidia driver has rejected all the default resolutions, and at the bottom it says the monitor is capable of 800x600 etc.

if I try and set the driver back to 'nv' it says kernel caught error 11 right after it tries to load glx.. but that's not the issue at the moment.

thanks for any help you can offer - I'll attach XF86config-4 and the log files if anyone wants a look.

Edit: bit more readable..
KramitDfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 11:13 AM   #2
snoozevmw

I had similar problems trying to make the install files...I found it easier to use the source RPMs instead.

rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-etc.src.rpm
rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-etc.src.rpm

after building both src.rpms run

rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-etc.rpm
rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-etc.rpm

I believe that they were located in the /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 directory

afterwards edit driver "nv" --> driver "nvidia" , and any other changes detailed in the nVidia instructions, in the XF86Config-h

note that you probably should be in command line for everything and the kernel source and headers must be installed (located on the international disk {3rd CD})

Good luck
Old 10-06-02, 06:14 PM   #3
KramitDfrog

Send a message via ICQ to KramitDfrog

Nope, figured it out last night (i'm in australia, so today or whatever you weird americans are up to) here's the lowdown for anyone else experiencing the same problem :-

have a look at the nvidia install guide, and flick over to the options. now, I assumed defaults would be the normal, safe settings but for some reason it was trying to initilize X to my TV, and finding that 1024x768 was not good.. this was why it was rejecting all my resolutions. I eventually figured this out because i deleted every resolution except for 1024 - and the log file came up with an error along the lines of 'not a valid TV resolution' which kinda tipped me off - I'm not going to provide the actual lines of a what I did, cause it's all out of the PDF file (print it out if you can) but the option lines involved with the TV display are worth setting manually
KramitDfrog is offline   Reply With Quote