Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-29-12, 12:52 PM   #13
Vardant

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Gave it a try, sticking to Windows 7 until the support dies most likely.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 02:20 PM   #14
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Gave it a try, sticking to Windows 7 until the support dies most likely.
That uninspiring?

I think I'll pass on the download until I see some favorable feedback.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 02:39 PM   #15
ViN86

I don't understand why it has to be tied to a MS Live or w/e account.

This is a computer, not a cell phone. I'm not going to 'misplace' my desktop. I don't need location settings for my desktop, it's not going anywhere.

My crystal ball tells me this Windows version won't be received very well.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 02:43 PM   #16
Vardant

It feels like you're having to fight the UI, settings are randomly scattered, you have to constantly switch between Metro and desktop etc.

Tried playing a movie, the default player takes forever to load and looks really bad. Didn't even bother to look, if it has some kind of options, but it didn't look like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
That uninspiring?
I would have to really force myself to try and get used it, but so far, it really looks like MS finally found a way how to ruin PC gaming. At least for me.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 02:53 PM   #17
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

Meh.. Win7 is going to be the new XP
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 02:55 PM   #18
ViN86

Umm, this is probably the worst UI I have ever seen for any OS. First off, I can't disable Metro UI. All the ones that worked in the Dev preview seem to be broken.

The layout of things are all over, it takes more button presses to accomplish the same thing. This is awful. I won't be leaving Windows 7 for a long time. And from the looks of it, they are trying to integrate everything with the GFWL system. They really need to remove this Metro **** and bring bang some classic Windows feeling if they want people to buy Windows 8.

If this is the future of a PC, then I will be getting a Mac.

EDIT: apparently you can change the metro color settings, but I couldn't find it. I don't know, I'm lost lol...
Old 02-29-12, 03:33 PM   #19
lduguay
Un-Ripped

It turned my PC into a freakin phone... VM Destroyed!

Evga X58|I7 965 3.8GHz|Ultra 120 Extreme|Evga GTX 480 SC|2 x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID 0|Intel 520 - 240 GB|WD Black Caviar 1TB|6GB Corsair XMS3 1600C8 |Corsair 1000W PSU|Antec Twelve-Hundred|DELL U3011|Logitech G500|Logitech G19
lduguay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 03:49 PM   #20
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
It feels like you're having to fight the UI, settings are randomly scattered, you have to constantly switch between Metro and desktop etc.

Tried playing a movie, the default player takes forever to load and looks really bad. Didn't even bother to look, if it has some kind of options, but it didn't look like it.

I would have to really force myself to try and get used it, but so far, it really looks like MS finally found a way how to ruin PC gaming. At least for me.
I am going to take you fine gentleman's words at value and pass on Windows 8.

7 is doing everything I ask it to do just fine. XP7 it is

EDIT: At least they're consistent.

Win ME Win XP Win Vista Win 7

was supposed to be next.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-12, 03:50 PM   #21
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Don't get it why you guys are so negative, you really should use it for more than five minutes before making up your minds. I hated it too at first, but when I got used to it, it turned out to be much faster than Windows 7 ever was. This includes changing settings etc. The only thing that really bothers me is the inclusion of the WP7 browser inside of metro. Why do I need two browsers when one of them is clearly a thousand times better? It is really irritating when it opens up instead of your default browser. Other than that I really have no complaints.
One really benefits from learning the basic key commands in Windows 8, as it improves efficiancy tenfold. Was planning on getting an iPad 3, but after seeing just how great Windows 8 is, I might just wait for a proper tablet.
Old 02-29-12, 04:01 PM   #22
ViN86

Am I missing something? I guess I just don't want to use Metro. I liked Vista (honestly, after SP1 Vista was fine if you had enough RAM) and the changes they made in 7, but this new UI isn't even windows based. The point of Windows is that programs run inside Windows on your screen.

I just want my desktop view back and I want all the nice things in Metro condensed into a button in the corner of my screen that I can open without moving away from my desktop. It's a computer, not a tablet. These features would be really nice with a touch screen, but I have a mouse and keyboard. I had the same criticism of OSX when they introduced gestures and iOS-like features.
Old 02-29-12, 05:22 PM   #23
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
But OS X takes good features of iOS and makes them available on the Mac in a way it makes sense!
Ok, fullscreen apps on a Mac is stupid, I agree, but the other iOS inspired features are well "ported" over to the Mac. Some of them might not be used a lot, like the Launchpad, but concepts like the Multi-Touch gestures, improved Mail client, Notification Center, App Store are well made with the Mac and its peripherals in mind.

MS just fails in this regard but I posted that already in the 10.8 thread

Metro on the PC is non-sense. And the normal Desktop on a Tablet is also questionable. It might seem like a good idea but keep in mind that most tablets will be ARM based so Desktop software will not run "out of the box". Even MS won't port everything...
Personally I find that Windows 8 has a lot more functionality than OS X. The idea is the same, but I never find myself using launchpad on my MacBook Air nearly as much as I use metro on my iMac(dual booting). Windows 8 would be a lot better if they changed the looks of the desktop mode to better match those of metro, because now the whole experience feels inconsistent. Gestures would also be a great addition for laptops without touch support. Windows 8 seems more suitable for a desktop, while OS X is the perfect fit for a laptop.

While I do enjoy Windows 8 more than I did Windows 7, it still feels like they could have done so much more, design-wise.
Old 02-29-12, 05:28 PM   #24
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
But OS X takes good features of iOS and makes them available on the Mac in a way it makes sense!
Ok, fullscreen apps on a Mac is stupid, I agree, but the other iOS inspired features are well "ported" over to the Mac. Some of them might not be used a lot, like the Launchpad, but concepts like the Multi-Touch gestures, improved Mail client, Notification Center, App Store are well made with the Mac and its peripherals in mind.

MS just fails in this regard but I posted that already in the 10.8 thread

Metro on the PC is non-sense. And the normal Desktop on a Tablet is also questionable. It might seem like a good idea but keep in mind that most tablets will be ARM based so Desktop software will not run "out of the box". Even MS won't port everything...
Well this thread isn't really about OSX, but I agree, not all the iOS-like added features are bad. Apologies if it seems like I implied that. The gestures is fine if you have a magic pad or w/e they call it and it doesn't interfere with usage with a mouse. So I shouldn't have said gestures, I was more referring to the launch pad, which I find rather bloated and inefficient, similar to Metro.

But I really dislike this shift to making PC's more like handheld devices and tablets. The strength of the PC is its faster hardware. Don't give it mobile options and dumb it down to satisfy the masses. It should stick to what it's good at, which is high performance computing and the ability to use larger peripherals (keyboard and mouse).