Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-29-12, 09:30 PM   #25
Yaboze

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

It boots up into Metro, which sucks with a Mouse/KB, but looks nice for a tablet or Intel tablet like machine (Gizmodo's demo showed a i5 tablet). It looked slick there.

But immediately I looked for the Desktop, which was Explorer. Then it looked like Windows 7, but there's no Start Menu. Hmmmm. So I hit the Windows key and Metro came back. It got a little frustrating to find programs other than Mail, IE and Solitaire. :\

My verdict so far is it looks great for tablets and tablet like PC's using TOUCH, but it's total suckage for Mouse/KB users who want a regular desktop.

Some pros: It installs quick, seems to have a small footprint, boots up quick and has a minimalistic install. It has a bing-like login screen which is your Windows Live account (?).
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-12, 10:33 PM   #26
mojoman0

a lot of this is definitely geared towards being touch based. windows key definitely helps for keyboard use. a little wonky so far, ie keeps freezing up on me.

actually using it on my laptop and every time i move the mouse with the trackpad in the metro interface, the screen turns solid blue for about 3 seconds, then returns. then goes blank again every time i move the mouse..wtf
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 02:06 AM   #27
PeterJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
a lot of this is definitely geared towards being touch based. windows key definitely helps for keyboard use. a little wonky so far, ie keeps freezing up on me.

actually using it on my laptop and every time i move the mouse with the trackpad in the metro interface, the screen turns solid blue for about 3 seconds, then returns. then goes blank again every time i move the mouse..wtf
Same issue here on the system in sig I reinstallede Windows 7 this morning. I really dont like Windows 8 - I will give it another try when they give me my real start menu back....I want to be able to turn that metro **** off if i dont have a touch screen.
Old 03-01-12, 09:06 AM   #28
red777star

Windows 8 is going to be the biggest flop in IT Industry ever recorded. I think this will beat Windows Vista by mile.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 10:09 AM   #29
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by red777star View Post
Windows 8 is going to be the biggest flop in IT Industry ever recorded. I think this will beat Windows Vista by mile.
You gotta think about this in terms of tablets and laptops. Not our dinosaur desktops.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 10:17 AM   #30
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red777star View Post
No way. Windows 8 is pretty damn good; it's both faster and takes up less resources than Windows 7, which is very different from the transition from XP to Vista.
Old 03-01-12, 11:40 AM   #31
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
No way. Windows 8 is pretty damn good; it's both faster and takes up less resources than Windows 7, which is very different from the transition from XP to Vista.
Is it not cumbersum on the desktop though? Is Metro easier to navigate than the start menu and a traditional desktop with a keyboard and mouse?

I understand how it's going to be great for anything with a touch screen- but how about laptops and desktops where you still have a keyboard and mouse (or touchpad)? How is it better than 7 for users of such machines?

You keep defending it without giving any real examples.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 12:00 PM   #32
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

This the worst pile of poo ever. I was astonished how pathetic this is!
Linux you are the new king.

Microsoft have retired.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-12, 01:04 PM   #33
ViN86

Honestly, all they have to do is give you the option to disable Metro. That's my main complaint.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 01:57 PM   #34
ATOJAR
Bish Bash Bosh

Send a message via MSN to ATOJAR

Well upon reading what you lot have said i think im gonna give W8 a miss ... Well until i hear more positive feedback.
Intel i7 920 D0(Ultra-120 eXtreme) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 6GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD(Win7/apps) - Seagate Barracuda SATA II 500GB(storage/games) - LG W2452T 24" LCD 1920x1200 Monitor - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 7 Ultimate X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Antec 900 Case - Logitech G500 Mouse - Logitech G15 v2 Keyboard.
ATOJAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 02:22 PM   #35
Yaboze

I would say it's great for touch based Windows tablets, probably ok for laptops with multi-touch trackpads (like the Macbook) but horrible for the standard desktop with mouse/keyboard. It was very clumsy trying to navigate non-standard apps and settings (control panel?) using Metro.

I'd have to make a shortcut on the desktop for any aspect of the OS I want to run. That's how cumbersome Metro is. Ridiculous.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 02:49 PM   #36
ViN86

ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote