Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-01-12, 04:26 PM   #37
red777star

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
You gotta think about this in terms of tablets and laptops. Not our dinosaur desktops.
It wont work on Laptops, even worse. It will work with Tablets but it wont be able to compete iPad especially because ARM version wont come with remote management features.
As I said this will be Epic failure. Luckily there is nothing that Windows 8 offers so people have to upgrade from Windows 7 therefore Windows 7 will stay around for a long time.
The problem is that PC does not need Metro in order to communicate with end user. We already have desktop itself which works great. Phone and Tablets need Metro because that is and should be only way to communicate with End User. And for same reason bringing Desktop there is stupid. Windows 8 will never be accepted and will never work for Corporate World. Professional people wont use it cause of Metro being very intrusive and stupid and average Joe wont find it easy to work with. New UI is so ridicilous that people end up putting shortcut for shutdown script on their desktops. Microsoft went against all UI principles with this one and they are going to pay big ass price for it. I can't help but to laugh at this point.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 04:28 PM   #38
red777star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
No way. Windows 8 is pretty damn good; it's both faster and takes up less resources than Windows 7, which is very different from the transition from XP to Vista.
You sound like Windows 7 is slow. Windows 8 is not any faster than Windows 7.
Old 03-01-12, 04:28 PM   #39
red777star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Honestly, all they have to do is give you the option to disable Metro. That's my main complaint.
I agree
Old 03-01-12, 04:30 PM   #40
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by red777star View Post
It wont work on Laptops, even worse. It will work with Tablets but it wont be able to compete iPad especially because ARM version wont come with remote management features.
As I said this will be Epic failure. Luckily there is nothing that Windows 8 offers so people have to upgrade from Windows 7 therefore Windows 7 will stay around for a long time.
Umm, yea it will be successful on tablets, because of Microsoft Office, and not that ****ty compatibility that Android and iOS do. We're talking real, fully functional Office.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...29-718320.html

Quote:
Dubbed "build 15" or Office 15, a beta version of the software will be released this summer and "be the biggest release of Office we've ever done," he said. "It will be a simultaneous release of both our desktop software and our servers and services as well."

To work on tablets, Office had to be rewritten to work on ARM processors designed by ARM Holdings PLC (ARM.LN, ARMH), which create the low-power, touch-screen features common on tablets. In addition, the new version of Office will feature the Metro interface that first appeared on Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 operating system.

"It's really a no-compromise device," DelBene said of Office on the tablet. "Think about having full Office at your fingertips, having it tailored for a touch user experience, having it be able to work on the go." And when users dock the device, it has a keyboard and mouse for "cranking out spreadsheets and cranking out documents," he said.

Next, Office would potentially include note taking on a new Microsoft program called OneNote that turns writing on a touchscreen into typewritten text, DelBene said.

He also said Microsoft engineers were looking at incorporating Skype into Office and several other products. Microsoft Lync already provides secure voice and video communication within the enterprise. Skype may be a channel to extend communication with consumers.

"Lots of our consumer properties could get lit up, if you will, through a Skype experience," he said.
No other operating system can compete with that. Businesses will start replacing laptops with Windows 8 tablets with docking stations.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 04:37 PM   #41
red777star

Quote:
Umm, yea it will be successful on tablets, because of Microsoft Office, and not that ****ty compatibility that Android and iOS do. We're talking real, fully functional Office.

http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-...29-718320.html

No other operating system can compete with that. Businesses will start replacing laptops with Windows 8 tablets with docking stations.
You type 10 pages Word document on tablet and i will use PC Desktop with keyboard and mouse on Windows 7 and tell me how that works for you. Businesses wont be going to Windows 8 at all because Windows 8 offers nothing worth upgrading. They will install new office on Windows 7 and have happy employees with normal interface. That is reality and MS seems living in a dream world. Tablet has no enough power to satisfy my professional needs.
Old 03-01-12, 04:41 PM   #42
ViN86

Quote:
Source? You can use RDP on Android/iOS.

Quote:
Windows 8 will never be accepted and will never work for Corporate World. Professional people wont use it cause of Metro being very intrusive and stupid and average Joe wont find it easy to work with. New UI is so ridicilous that people end up putting shortcut for shutdown script on their desktops. Microsoft went against all UI principles with this one and they are going to pay big ass price for it. I can't help but to laugh at this point.
Well, you're applying desktop ideas to a more server/tablet driven environment. Metro has great potential for servers. Widgets to control settings and instances. That's what you need. A desktop is not suited for a server environment. Widgets and command lines are.

As for the corporate world, there has already been a shift towards tablets away from more expensive laptops. With office and other features coming to tablets, this trend will continue.
Old 03-01-12, 04:42 PM   #43
ViN86

Quote:
You type 10 pages Word document on tablet and i will use PC Desktop with keyboard and mouse on Windows 7 and tell me how that works for you. Businesses wont be going to Windows 8 at all because Windows 8 offers nothing worth upgrading. They will install new office on Windows 7 and have happy employees with normal interface. That is reality and MS seems living in a dream world. Tablet has no enough power to satisfy my professional needs.
Dock uses a keyboard and mouse, so there goes that argument.

Companies aren't moving to Windows 7, most of them still use XP for compatibility. There's no incentive to move to 7. However, tablets are an incentive, and if they come with Windows 8, and it's nicely connected to their Windows servers, then you will see companies make the switch.

And not enough power? Right a dual core 1GHz cpu isn't enough to type a document.
Old 03-01-12, 04:47 PM   #44
red777star

Quote:
Dock uses a keyboard and mouse, so there goes that argument.

Companies aren't moving to Windows 7, most of them still use XP for compatibility. There's no incentive to move to 7. However, tablets are an incentive, and if they come with Windows 8, and it's nicely connected to their Windows servers, then you will see companies make the switch.
Maybe for certain Businesses but it is more than just Office. I am a Computer Programmer and for me Tablet is useless junk. Tablets will have limited usage by Admins and that's about it. Again Tablets will never be able to pack enough hardware power as Desktop can therefore it will always has limitations which are for the most part critical. When you look at Apple iPad2, it is pretty useless. It comes down to basic functionality so you don't have to get up from your chair in living room while watching TV. I believe Windows 8 will boost Windows 7 sale and i don't think MS will ever take Tablet and Mobile Market Share from iOS and Android. Again i have nothing against Microsoft attempt to bring Metro and other things to Tablets and Mobile, but please leave Desktop the **** alone I am not sure where that mobile or phone mentality is coming from trying to apply logic to Desktop and literally destroy the platform. Nothing like stupid Apple user which comes to me with Tablet Junk showing some fancy games and then i show him Crysis and tell him, run that bitch.

Old 03-01-12, 04:50 PM   #45
ViN86

Quote:
Maybe for certain Businesses but it is more than just Office. I am a computer programmer and for me Tablet is useless junk. Tablets will have limited usage by Admins and that's about it. Again Tablet will never be able to pack enough hardware power as Desktop can therefore it will always has limitations which are for the most part critical. When you look at Apple iPad2, it is pretty useless. It comes down to basic functionality so you don't have to get up from your chair in living room while watching TV. I believe Windows 8 will boost Windows 7 sale and i don't think MS will ever take Tablet and Mobile Market Share from iOS and Android.
Well no **** for people who have to compile. But the majority of computer users in the corporate environment are not programmers. They check email, browse the internet, write Word documents, make Spreadsheets, and make Powerpoint presentations.

You're applying your specific needs to an entire industry... You are not the majority.
Old 03-01-12, 05:00 PM   #46
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

I think you all should take a look at Libre Office either with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or LInux Mint.

I hope this is the future, Would only take a handful of major developers to start porting to Linux and the trickle would turn into an avalanche.
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-12, 05:56 PM   #47
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolfrawd View Post
I think you all should take a look at Libre Office either with Ubuntu, Kubuntu, or LInux Mint.

I hope this is the future, Would only take a handful of major developers to start porting to Linux and the trickle would turn into an avalanche.
In my experience with open source counterparts, there is no substitute for Microsoft Office. Other apps typically mess up the file format, have slower features, or not as many.
Old 03-01-12, 05:56 PM   #48
red777star

Quote:
Well no **** for people who have to compile. But the majority of computer users in the corporate environment are not programmers. They check email, browse the internet, write Word documents, make Spreadsheets, and make Powerpoint presentations.

You're applying your specific needs to an entire industry... You are not the majority.
Afterall no one is forced to do any upgrade. Windows 7 will serve fine for the next 5 years. In mean time i guess i don't care about direction MS took unless they change their mind last minute and give users ability to disable Metro. Windows 8 Server looks better to me cause it comes with minimum Metro interface. I am looking for Windows 7 SP2.