Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-12, 06:35 PM   #61
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

windows 8 will go down in history as the OS that reduced MS from giant corporation to second grade company.

expect windows 9 to be out within a year after windows 8.
Old 03-02-12, 08:51 PM   #62
mojoman0

i think it will be deemed a failure if it does not surpass win 7 records, which did really really well. Having win8 on tablets will help for the figures quite a bit, and most people dont upgrade their os, they just buy a new computer, so if computer sales do well it still might be a success
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-12, 11:07 PM   #63
RAMChYLD

I'm trying it out now as a main OS on one of my rigs. So far, I've already chalked up a few issues, but don't know how to report it to Microsoft :P

Firstly, with the NVidia nForce chipset drivers installer, the SMU driver does not get offered nor does it get installed. This results in an unknown device (co-processor) remaining in Device Manager. This can be fixed by manually going into Device Manager and installing the SMU drivers manually (it's a good thing the driver installer extracts everything). Still mildly irritating tho.

Secondly, the VIA (this is an Asus M4N75TD Board) and SoundBlaster X-Fi sound card drivers won't install because the drivers won't recognize the system, and had to be force-installed in Vista SP2 compatibility mode. They work fine after that. Granted that the VIA is supported by the Generic UAA drivers, but then to take advantage of the advanced features of the chipset, I need the VIA drivers. The X-Fi on the other hand, is unsupported by the generic UAA drivers. So getting the card working requires the only very outdated creative driver in the market.

On the app side, Firefox. Good lord, it's practically riddled with redraw problems. Buttons and the address bar intermittently won't get redrawn correctly, and before I got AdBlock installed, this forum is practically unusable- an ad appearing would render a gigantic black box over the entire site. Not sure if this is an issue with the Firefox, the 295.73 driver, or Windows 8 itself.

I'll be doing more tests later tonight.

One more problem I forgot to add: OK, no start button. Fine. How do I call up the Metro UI (which now completely replaces the Start Menu) without using the keyboard? Is there a gesture to do that? Cause touching the lower left corner of the screen (I also happen to have a Acer T230H touch display) certainly didn't help.
  • "Edison" - Phenom II X4 925 AM3 (Deneb), M4N98TD-EVO (nForce980a SLI), ENGTS450 DirectCU 1GB (GeForce GTS450) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 8GB DDR3-1600
  • "Sally" - Athlon64 x2 5000+ AM2 (Brisbane), M4N72-E (nForce750a SLI), ENGTS250 Dark Knight 1GB (GeForce GTS250) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 4GB DDR2-1066
  • "Dongwa" - Phenom II X4 945 AM3 (Deneb), M4N75TD (nForce750a SLI), ENGTX260-216SP 896MB (GeForce GTX260 216SP) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, 8GB DDR3-1600
  • "Helen" - Athlon64 x2 6400+ AM2 (Windsor), M4N78 Pro (GeForce8300), ENGT520 1GB (GeForce GT520), integrated GeForce8300, AuzenTech Prelude X-Fi, 4GB DDR2-1066.
  • "Clementine" - Athlon64 x2 3800+ AM2 (Windsor), TF560A2+ (nForce560), V8402GL26 (GeForce 8400GS), SoundBlaster Live! 5.1, Sonnet Allegro FW400 PCIe, 2GB DDR2-800
RAMChYLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 01:00 AM   #64
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
i think it will be deemed a failure if it does not surpass win 7 records, which did really really well. Having win8 on tablets will help for the figures quite a bit, and most people dont upgrade their os, they just buy a new computer, so if computer sales do well it still might be a success
will be excactly the same case like vista, where people buy a new pc and demand os downgrade.

and all businesses (majority of sales) will still keep demanding xp and win7, no one in IT will be stupid enough to install windows 8
Old 03-03-12, 01:53 PM   #65
Melfranks

Here's a pretty decent introduction to the functionality of Windows 8.
Skip to 3:50 for the PC portion.

Melfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 02:34 PM   #66
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

"windows 8 been designed to work great with keyboard and mouse"

BULL****!!
Old 03-03-12, 04:19 PM   #67
Melfranks

I take back my reservations about not having a Start menu, it just takes a little effort to organize things on the new one. It's actually nicer because it's customizable, and a lot of the apps show previews of the information so you don't actually need to open them.
It's definitely a bit different than Windows 7, but so far everything is working great.

I suppose YMMV depending upon whether drivers are fully compatible. I have pretty much all Logitech stuff, wireless keyboard, mouse and headphones, and a Belkin wireless USB adapter, GTX 470 SLI, dual monitors, everything worked right off the bat.
It's really the best of both worlds, full desktop functionality when you want it plus having tablet-like applications also available.
It's also blazingly fast.

nekrosoft13, are you having specific issues with keyboard and mouse functionality?
I find that it's completely intuitive once you understand how it works.
Old 03-03-12, 04:59 PM   #68
mojoman0

anyone else have the ie problem? when i open IE it just sucks up cpu usage and wont navigate anywhere. had to install chrome, embarrassing

Old 03-03-12, 05:04 PM   #69
mojoman0

How the F do you find device manager without desktop search?
Old 03-03-12, 05:27 PM   #70
Melfranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
How the F do you find device manager without desktop search?
Put the cursor in the lower left corner in desktop mode and right-click.
It's in the list which appears.

Edit: WIN+X also brings up that menu.
Old 03-03-12, 05:35 PM   #71
Rakeesh

I can see many places where windows 8 has huge advantages over windows 7 (improved file copying, better task manager, the bottom left shortcut menu, the new file menu in windows explorer is just plain sexy, lower memory usage) but metro just plain looks ugly.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-12, 05:43 PM   #72
ViN86

I'm sure this whole thing is like Office 07. The ribbon bar was a PITA at first, but after you're used to it, it's a lot more efficient.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote