Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-12, 08:54 PM   #109
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

I'll use a mac before I use Win8/Metro. in it's current state.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64

Last edited by Shamrock; 03-12-12 at 09:03 PM.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 08:10 AM   #110
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
This. Users for business are going to hate this and I dread the flood of questions and training that comes down the pipe. I still like Metro and it will take some time getting used to, but you can bet that once Win8 goes RC, I'll be using it right away.
Has your company already decided to use 8?

I've decided to dl this and learn what I can of it. We won't be migrating, but I'm sure some customers will, so I may as well get a jump on it.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:00 AM   #111
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post

I've decided to dl this and learn what I can of it. We won't be migrating, but I'm sure some customers will, so I may as well get a jump on it.
Because of this I'm going to keep Win8 installed in a VM. Will have to learn the intricacies of this new OS so I may better serve any clients that are using it.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:30 AM   #112
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Because of this I'm going to keep Win8 installed in a VM. Will have to learn the intricacies of this new OS so I may better serve any clients that are using it.
Yep - it can't hurt, and we all know there will be a ton of oem machines out there using it. I don't want to get bitten by the "you look stupid" bug in front of a client
Old 03-12-12, 09:02 PM   #113
Bman212121

Quote:
I totally agree. I thought all the negative feedback so far would sway MS, but apparently they know what we want better than we do.
The only place I seem to see a lot of negative feedback is from comments and forums. If you read well written articles by tech journalists there is a lot more positive feedback.

I'd say you really want to learn metro because you'll be supporting it on a lot more than just desktops. Windows 8 is definitely going to be needed for laptops to be able to compete with devices like the Transformer Prime. If I had a device like that running Windows 8 it would be simply amazing. I could definitely see laptop makers really start pushing touch screens to help sell new laptops, so it only makes sense to have Windows 8 to fully utilize them.

Like Slawter said, the anandtech review is definitely worth a read. There are a whole lot of other neat features in Windows 8 that are going to be worth upgrading for. I might start using the backup software now that it supports something similar to Time Machine. If you don't know what that is it's a piece of software on OS X that saves all of your changes and lets you revert back to any point in time. Think of it as incremental backups for all of your files where you can revert a file back to an older date. It's definitely a good piece of software and a welcome addition to have something like it in Windows. One other thing I learned was another way search is faster on Metro. If you're on the start screen simply start typing and it will start searching for you.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 09:40 PM   #114
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:

Our company tries real hard to stay on top of the tech game, so we will install it just mainly to be familiar with it. Most guys won't take the time to keep a VM on hand for fun.

I'm not sure if we will recommend it or not, but I'm sure that people will go out to their Best Buy stores, buy the cheapest thing and expect it to work perfectly on their corporate network. We still gotta support it.

Either way, I think Win8 will do just fine once users get used to it. It's basically Win7 with the Metro UI. And heck, find a way to disable Metro and you'll have a rocking OS.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-12, 10:58 PM   #115
Redeemed

Well said, Cylphid.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 05:04 AM   #116
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Our company tries real hard to stay on top of the tech game, so we will install it just mainly to be familiar with it. Most guys won't take the time to keep a VM on hand for fun.

I'm not sure if we will recommend it or not, but I'm sure that people will go out to their Best Buy stores, buy the cheapest thing and expect it to work perfectly on their corporate network. We still gotta support it.

Either way, I think Win8 will do just fine once users get used to it. It's basically Win7 with the Metro UI. And heck, find a way to disable Metro and you'll have a rocking OS.
Yep, I think we're both on the same page here.

I do have to say I should have installed it before saying anything negative as I did earlier.

The learning curve for anyone who only knows "click orb" is going to be steep.

Personally, I'm impressed - my first impressions were faster than 7, smooth, easy on the eyes and it recognized just about everything hardware wise in my G74sx. I have some Asus specific drivers to install for the fn keys, but heck, it installed just about ready to go. Win 7 needed a bit more.

I'll give this a fair shake, glad I installed it now. Oh - it's super fast on a 7200rpm scorpio, I wish I had a spare SSD hanging around....

EDIT: Forgot to mention - making the shutdown/restart/logoff button easier to access would be a plus

Old 03-13-12, 07:59 AM   #117
Q

I wonder what the Enterprise Preview will look like.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-12, 04:38 PM   #118
Cylphid

Well, after some time with this, I have to say I believe removing the orb was a huge mistake. It isn't that anything is difficult to find or use, it's that nothing about this interface is intuitive at all.

Everything from installation to configuring multiple monitors was reasonably painless, and everything about this OS from file transfers to extracting just seems snappier and smoother.

Metro has a good deal of functionality from reviews I've read, but using them just doesn't feel right - maybe it will grow on me, but I don't think so.

It's just not an efficient start menu for the average user.
Old 03-14-12, 10:41 AM   #119
Melfranks

Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to mention - making the shutdown/restart/logoff button easier to access would be a plus
WIN+I, <up arrow>, <enter> brings you to the Sleep, Shutdown, Reset menu.
Just <up arrow> again to your choice.

<ctrl>+<alt>+<del> to get Lock, Switch User, and Sign Out menu.
WIN+L locks the computer immediately.
Melfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-12, 11:05 AM   #120
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Well, after some time with this, I have to say I believe removing the orb was a huge mistake.

It's just not an efficient start menu for the average user.
Bingo