Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-21-12, 10:07 AM   #1
Cylphid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 444
Question mouse will not work, help please!

I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP on a friends HP. Her son had this thing virus ridden to the point I can't even attempt a repair, but here's the problem.

Even with legacy USB support enabled in the bios, no mouse I try works, at all. I've tried a stock dell optical mouse, a logitech g500, a logitech wireless (m24 I think) and I've tried with a ps2 to USB adapter -

I've never run into this before, where neither ps2 or USB will work no matter what port I try. The fresh install gets all the way to the "adjusting visuals" prompt. All other prompts I had to use the keyboard..

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 10:16 AM   #2
hirantha
SUC SUDO
 
hirantha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY, Staten Island
Posts: 2,211
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP on a friends HP. Her son had this thing virus ridden to the point I can't even attempt a repair, but here's the problem.

Even with legacy USB support enabled in the bios, no mouse I try works, at all. I've tried a stock dell optical mouse, a logitech g500, a logitech wireless (m24 I think) and I've tried with a ps2 to USB adapter -

I've never run into this before, where neither ps2 or USB will work no matter what port I try. The fresh install gets all the way to the "adjusting visuals" prompt. All other prompts I had to use the keyboard..

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Is the Keyboard USB? try the mouse on keyboards port and if it still doesn't work update to XP sp 3 and see if it is recognized?
__________________
Intel i7 3770K
16 GB DDR3
Evga 670 SLI

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 10:27 AM   #3
Cylphid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 444
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirantha View Post
Is the Keyboard USB? try the mouse on keyboards port and if it still doesn't work update to XP sp 3 and see if it is recognized?
Yes, that was the first port I went to with no luck. Her install disc is sp2, maybe I do need 3. Thanks for the advice.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 10:37 AM   #4
bob saget
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Vancouver, originally Russia
Posts: 23,133
Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

USB hub?
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 10:50 AM   #5
Cylphid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 444
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
USB hub?
I have a powered hub and a non powered I could try. But wouldn't the mouse still be seen the same way? Heck, I'm willing to try anything here

I'll try it out tonight, can't hurt.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 11:02 AM   #6
Starscream
Decepticook
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I'm trying to do a fresh install of XP on a friends HP. Her son had this thing virus ridden to the point I can't even attempt a repair, but here's the problem.

Even with legacy USB support enabled in the bios, no mouse I try works, at all. I've tried a stock dell optical mouse, a logitech g500, a logitech wireless (m24 I think) and I've tried with a ps2 to USB adapter -

I've never run into this before, where neither ps2 or USB will work no matter what port I try. The fresh install gets all the way to the "adjusting visuals" prompt. All other prompts I had to use the keyboard..

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
You can definitely navigate the whole way through an XP install with just a keyboard.

Use tab and space to select and activate buttons.
__________________
Maybe tomorrow I'll wanna settle down, until tomorrow I'll just keep moving on...
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 11:08 AM   #7
Cylphid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 444
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
You can definitely navigate the whole way through an XP install with just a keyboard.

Use tab and space to select and activate buttons.
Yes, that's what I did until the screen where XP tells you it's adjusting your graphics quality. From there I get no response at all. I literally hit every key on the keyboard out of frustration

I was thinking that maybe after install, a windows update might fix it, but that no response is a show stopper.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 12:08 PM   #8
Starscream
Decepticook
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
Yes, that's what I did until the screen where XP tells you it's adjusting your graphics quality. From there I get no response at all. I literally hit every key on the keyboard out of frustration

I was thinking that maybe after install, a windows update might fix it, but that no response is a show stopper.
If it actually IS freezing there you obviously have other issues with this machine too. If it's not actually frozen/crashed just hit alt-tab to select the prompt if you aren't on it. Then press tab until you have ok selected and press space.

I think you should do some basic hardware tests like either Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86. Also if this machine is old you should visually inspect the capacitors on the motherboard.
__________________
Maybe tomorrow I'll wanna settle down, until tomorrow I'll just keep moving on...
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-12, 12:18 PM   #9
Cylphid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 444
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
If it actually IS freezing there you obviously have other issues with this machine too. If it's not actually frozen/crashed just hit alt-tab to select the prompt if you aren't on it. Then press tab until you have ok selected and press space.

I think you should do some basic hardware tests like either Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86. Also if this machine is old you should visually inspect the capacitors on the motherboard.
I will do this soon as I get home, thank you. I haven't researched the s/n yet, but I think it's 5-6 years old, pentium D 2.8Ghz proc.

I personally think she should just upgrade to a decent, modern laptop, but she won't

EDIT: It worked! WTH, I hit alt-tab and suddenly I had a desktop with a working mouse....

Thanks for the replies guys!
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 11:30 PM   #10
Starscream
Decepticook
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Cybertron
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

I'm glad to hear it worked out.

__________________
Maybe tomorrow I'll wanna settle down, until tomorrow I'll just keep moving on...
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 05:16 AM   #11
Cylphid
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 444
Default Re: mouse will not work, help please!

Appreciate the help!
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.