Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-12, 02:16 PM   #1
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default The new iPad Overheating issues?

I've had my new iPad for just about a week now and I had noticed that it was a little warmer on the bottom left hand corner of the device. Last night while surfing the web on it, the browser "crashed to desktop" two or three times in about a 5 minutes span. The device was actually getting much hotter than it ever had. It was hot enough that it made my hands sweaty so I put the device down for the night.

This morning I was using it and again it got hot, but this time the device actually shut off with a warning message about the ipad needing to cool down. So I did some reading and it appears I'm not alone with this issue. Decided to return the device for now, and wait and see if it was a bad batch, but it was pretty much unusable for me, which is a shame because I was loving the device.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 04:05 PM   #2
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

No heat issues for me since launch. 64Gb Wifi. Summer here also. 30-40C days.

Are you using a case? Charging it at the same time?

You're probably right about a bad batch though. Least you got your money back and didn't have to deal with refurbs and/or waiting for a replacement
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 05:47 PM   #3
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Did you close Safari or just backgrounded it?
I closed out everything. Even rebooted just get boiling hot in minutes :/
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-12, 07:11 PM   #4
Hogrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

This sucks ass. I love how stable our i devices are.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-12, 07:38 AM   #5
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Sorry to hear that. I would simply ask for a replacement in this case.
They didn't have anymore at the time, so I just returned it.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-12, 10:56 PM   #6
Viral
Registered User of Women
 
Viral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
No heat issues for me since launch. 64Gb Wifi. Summer here also. 30-40C days.
Why do Australians always generalize and exaggerate heat when online? Sorry for OT but it hasn't even hit 30c in the last two weeks, in fact the average max temp for that time has been a blistering 24c and it hasn't gone past 30c for Coffs all Summer. Also, it's Autumn.

I've done it in the past as well, but it really doesn't help someone when you say your device is working fine in extremely hot days when it hasn't in fact been hot at all. That is all.
__________________
Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:35 AM   #7
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

I know someone with a new one and he's had no problems with it overheating. I'm guessing bad batch as well since this seems hit or miss.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-12, 11:57 AM   #8
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
I know someone with a new one and he's had no problems with it overheating. I'm guessing bad batch as well since this seems hit or miss.
Yea seems like it. Oh well :/
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-12, 10:45 PM   #9
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Why do Australians always generalize and exaggerate heat when online? Sorry for OT but it hasn't even hit 30c in the last two weeks, in fact the average max temp for that time has been a blistering 24c and it hasn't gone past 30c for Coffs all Summer. Also, it's Autumn.

I've done it in the past as well, but it really doesn't help someone when you say your device is working fine in extremely hot days when it hasn't in fact been hot at all. That is all.
I assume you are going by Weather Reports online. You're not taking into account hot offices, direct sunlight, traveling? Those are conditions faced by my iPad when I'm out surveying. Nice you can enjoy 24C conditions.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 07:23 PM   #10
Viral
Registered User of Women
 
Viral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

Fair point, but then the same can be said for anyone, localised environmental conditions are a different thing. You weren't talking about direct environmental effects, you said 30-40c days. I just found it odd as I was in newcastle last week and the weather was not hot at all, so I checked the reports online.

I see it all over the net from Aussies for some reason, some of us like to boast about whatever we can in whatever weird way, that's cool, it just doesn't help a situation like this when you're exaggerating in such a generalised fashion that much. I'll leave it at that.
__________________
Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 07:37 PM   #11
Hogrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

I see a lot of Aussies boast about their penis sizes. Odd.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 08:56 PM   #12
Viral
Registered User of Women
 
Viral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: The new iPad Overheating issues?

You might as well stop going to findastuddownunder.com if they always end up disappointing you.
__________________
Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.