http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-p...re-the-details

Codename: Orbis
AMD x64 CPU
AMD Southern Islands GPU (7x series)
resolution: upto 4096x2160, 1080P 3d
release: Holidays 2013

Now the bad:
No PS3 backwards compatibility, period.
No more used game sales. Games will have to be authenticated online via PSN.

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 10:59 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: PS4 details emerge

I'm actually very excited about this. With it being an x86 CPU and Southern Islands based GPU, the future of PC gaming could look *very* bright.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 11:20 PM   #3
mojoman0

unleash the full potential of dx11!
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 02:04 AM   #4
Lyme

I expect it to be FUD, MS showed with the original xbox how bad an idea of using a x86 cpu is for game sales. People will buy the console and turn it into a pc, and few games will be sold for them. Also the restriction on used games would kill the console if MS doesn't follow suit. The gpu I can believe.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 03:37 AM   #5
Spartan 117
Halo PWNz0r

It sounds like it will have good hardware on par with today's PC's but I think i will stick to PC if these rumors are true. Even if you take your game to a friends house or let them borrow it, it's no good unless you take your profile with you, lame.

"SO LONG, PS3 GAMES

Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started. UPDATE - Since some people seem to have taken this to mean the console requires an "always on" intenet connection, we've heard nothing about that. All we've heard is that you need to authenticate a new game online via the PSN.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."
2 PNY XLR8 GTX 670 in SLI
1 PNY XLR8 GTX 560 Ti for PhysX
Crucial M4 256GB SSD - OS/games
WD 500GB 7200RPM HDD - Storage
Team Executor XBOX 360 HDD Adapter for JTAG 360 HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
LG Blu-Ray burner
Samsung DVD-RW burner
Cougar GX V.2 1050W PSU
Cougar Evolution case
40" Sony Bravia KDL40V5100 @ 1080P
Spartan 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 09:50 AM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan 117 View Post
It sounds like it will have good hardware on par with today's PC's but I think i will stick to PC if these rumors are true. Even if you take your game to a friends house or let them borrow it, it's no good unless you take your profile with you, lame.

"SO LONG, PS3 GAMES

Remember how the PlayStation 3 swiftly dropped the ability to play PS2 games? Well, our main source tell us the Orbis won't even bother, and that Sony has no plans to offer backwards compatibility for its existing catalogue of PS3 games.

SO LONG, USED GAMES

Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started. UPDATE - Since some people seem to have taken this to mean the console requires an "always on" intenet connection, we've heard nothing about that. All we've heard is that you need to authenticate a new game online via the PSN.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."
You do realize that PC started that trend right? With every game now tying to some online system (Origin, Ubisoft, Steam) the used PC Market is on its death bead.
Old 04-01-12, 10:12 AM   #7
Vardant

It's different on the PC thanks to pricing. Games get cheaper more quickly, several games go on a sale every week, etc.

Also, on the PC, it could be sort of justified by piracy, but the sales on consoles get bigger every year.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 10:59 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
It's different on the PC thanks to pricing. Games get cheaper more quickly, several games go on a sale every week, etc.

Also, on the PC, it could be sort of justified by piracy, but the sales on consoles get bigger every year.
The reasoning behind console pricing is due to lower sales caused by used game sales... They claim that this would increase revenue for the publisher which in turn could lower pricing... we'll see though.

Old 04-01-12, 11:13 AM   #9
ViN86

People expect backwards compatibility on consoles nowadays but there's really no reason to. The only system that had proper backwards compatibility was the PS2 and the first revision of the PS3. Besides that, only 360 and later PS3 revisions offered software compatibility which wasn't guaranteed. Before that, every game you bought was limited to one console.

It's not much of a surprise that they're trying to eliminate the used game market. It's a large market that really impacts their sales (I've bought many used games). And I think Magus is right, the PC market has showed them that eliminating the used game market is as easy as tying games to specific machines.

I'm not sure that the CPU will be x86 based. Seems unlikely given what we have seen before in the console market.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 10:39 PM   #10
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Nope, Article was posted March 28, 2012

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:41 AM   #11
|MaguS|

These rumors are technically plausible. If the system doesn't launch till end of next year the 7x series will be somewhat aged so pricing will be low enough yet it will be more then powerful enough for console gaming due to the closed nature of the platform. As for using an X86 chipset, that is also plausible, remember what makes a system secure is a combination of hardware and software. Sony could install a security chip in the console and continue with their high level of security on their OS side.

Using an x86 chipset would allow of easy ports from console to PC and the other way aswell giving to more shared software libraries and making them a favorable platform for developers to focus on due to ease of programming.

My only questionable thing about this entire situation is that they chose AMD instead of Nvidia since they already had a successful partnership and rumor was that nvidia already signed a contract to produce the next gpu.
Old 04-02-12, 12:25 PM   #12
Logical

This rumour stands well for a PC gamer for reasons Magus pointed out. Im wondering about how far off cross platform gaming is across a wide library of games. Will be interesting to see the next xbox specs too.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote