Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 600 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-01-12, 04:30 PM   #1
Ghosthunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 885
Default GTX 680 -which one to get?

So right now everything is out of stock everywhere but curious I looked at EVGA page and see they have 4 different models

Gtx 680 - Standard
Gtx 680 - Super clocked
Gtx 680 - Super clocked with backplate
Gtx 680 - Hydro copper

Is it really worth getting once of these that is Overclocked? Or just overclock it myself? Trying to figure out, originally my budge was $500 so going much more then that is pushing it.
__________________
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.3
Thermalright True Spirit 120
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:05 PM   #2
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

EVGA usually also have some higher end overclocks down the line like the FTW version. The preoverclocked parts should be a little higher binned, but seeing how modest the sc clocks are, I'd say they are just reference bins with a different clock default.
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:43 PM   #3
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
So right now everything is out of stock everywhere but curious I looked at EVGA page and see they have 4 different models

Gtx 680 - Standard
Gtx 680 - Super clocked
Gtx 680 - Super clocked with backplate
Gtx 680 - Hydro copper

Is it really worth getting once of these that is Overclocked? Or just overclock it myself? Trying to figure out, originally my budge was $500 so going much more then that is pushing it.
I'd just go with a standard one especially if you're gonna be running an e8400
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 06:55 PM   #4
TheTaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 621
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

I got the Standard one.

I'm not sure 50Mhz overclock is worth an extra $10 for the Superclocked versions, but I went with what was available (and they sold out 3 minutes after my order).

I was going to get a Hydro Copper... but $200 extra for a water block... EVGA is smokin' crack. I can pick up a water block later for around $100, if I feel the need. But Honestly, I think I'm going to stick with an Air Cooled GPU, and keep my CPU Liquid cooled for now. Since I run a 1280x1024 monitor still... I have absolutely zero need to overclock the overkill of a GTX680.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 07:48 PM   #5
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

wow...or to own a 680 period lol
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 11:33 PM   #6
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
wow...or to own a 680 period lol
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-12, 11:35 PM   #7
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

ITT: How not to prioritize.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 12:23 AM   #8
MUYA
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 6,787
Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTaz View Post
I got the Standard one.

I'm not sure 50Mhz overclock is worth an extra $10 for the Superclocked versions, but I went with what was available (and they sold out 3 minutes after my order).

I was going to get a Hydro Copper... but $200 extra for a water block... EVGA is smokin' crack. I can pick up a water block later for around $100, if I feel the need. But Honestly, I think I'm going to stick with an Air Cooled GPU, and keep my CPU Liquid cooled for now. Since I run a 1280x1024 monitor still... I have absolutely zero need to overclock the overkill of a GTX680.
Gratz!

A display that does 1080 should be your next purchase to fully enjoy the benefits of that 680!
__________________
I5-2500k@4.7GHz - MSI Z77A-GD65 - 4GB X2 A-DATA DDR3 1600 - Corsair H100 - Antec Quatro 850W
Gigabyte Windforce X3 GTX 680 OC - Dell 24" IPS
Intel 320 300 GB SSD - 1 TB Hitachi HDD - 2x 250 GB WD HDD
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-12, 05:36 AM   #9
Ghosthunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 885
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I'd just go with a standard one especially if you're gonna be running an e8400
as soon as ivy bridge releases I am updating cpu/mobo/ram, though I am tempted for Sandy but may as well wait until April 29

I need to update my Signature as well...I just got last week

Asus 25 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236123

along with an SSD drive
__________________
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i5-3570k @ 4.3
Thermalright True Spirit 120
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:27 AM   #10
TheTaz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 621
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
Gratz!

A display that does 1080 should be your next purchase to fully enjoy the benefits of that 680!
I've been looking at them... but I may wait until I get a new motherboard and CPU (probably next year). I've been waiting for Ivy bridge and some price drops.

One of the advantages of sticking to my old 1280x1024 monitor, is that my 8800GTX lasted 5 years. That's a record for me, since I was replacing video cards every 1.5 - 2 years. Of course, the slow down in the PC Game market helped too (As, in not as many titles worth a darn for the PC in recent years). If I do stick to 1280x1024, I should be easily able to run everything at max settings + max AA / AF for another 5 years.
TheTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:55 AM   #11
Johnny C
Passing you @ 192mph
 
Johnny C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Canada, EH!
Posts: 779
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosthunter View Post
as soon as ivy bridge releases I am updating cpu/mobo/ram, though I am tempted for Sandy but may as well wait until April 29

I need to update my Signature as well...I just got last week

Asus 25 inch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824236123

along with an SSD drive
I have the 27" version of that monitor and I love it.

Congrats on the 680
__________________
Phenom II 965BE @ 3.9ghz 200X19.5 1.4625 vcore 2.8ghz NB 2.4ghz HT - Asus M4A79XTD-EVO bios 0604 - 12GB Corsair DDR3 1600 @ 1600mhz CAS 9 w/1T - XFX 6970 2GB 950/1450 - Xigmatek S1283 HSF - Antec 900 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Johnny C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 09:53 AM   #12
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer
 
FastRedPonyCar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montgomery, AL
Posts: 3,012
Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar
Default Re: GTX 680 -which one to get?

I'm holding off to see whether the 4gig cards offer any substantial difference when gaming @ 2560x1440 over the standard 2 gig card.
__________________
- Desktop -
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.