Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-26-12, 09:16 PM   #157
Redeemed

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
Go with a hybrid drive. I have a Seagate momentus XT as the OS drive in my laptop. Between that and a 16Gb SHDC card I paid $18 for, using readyboost this is more responsive than any fully mechanical drive at a great cost. And I didn't have to give up the space.
I've read great things about the Hybrid drives if used as boot drives. However, I don't think I need that much space in a boot drive. For the same price as the Momentus XT I can get a 120GB SSD, and $110 more gets me a 240GB SSD. Both of which are far greater in capacity than I need for an OS drive, and would yield far greater performance.

However, I'm still considering the XT as an option, just because it would offer great performance with enough storage to last me a *very* long time... I could install some programs, maybe store my pictures, documents, and such.

Good to hear great things about these drives from somebody that owns one though. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.

EDIT: Just saw this 750GB Momentus XT for $150. Not a bad deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
again you don't need to spend $300 to make your computer faster.

http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/...id-State-Drive

that is WAY MORE than you need for OS.
Oh, I know. Newegg has several 120GB SSDs near the $120 mark as well. They also have a few 240GB SSDs near the $240 mark. Getting pretty close to $1/GB at those capacities at least. I'll be getting a new SSD to replace this 30GB soon, and the more I think of it the more I like the idea of using this 30GB SSD as a Windows 8 drive.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-12, 04:09 PM   #158
Zelda_fan

Don't get a hybrid. You're better off getting a small SSD for the OS, and then a large 7200RPM drive as a storage drive.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-12, 11:35 AM   #159
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I've read great things about the Hybrid drives if used as boot drives. However, I don't think I need that much space in a boot drive. For the same price as the Momentus XT I can get a 120GB SSD, and $110 more gets me a 240GB SSD. Both of which are far greater in capacity than I need for an OS drive, and would yield far greater performance.

However, I'm still considering the XT as an option, just because it would offer great performance with enough storage to last me a *very* long time... I could install some programs, maybe store my pictures, documents, and such.

Good to hear great things about these drives from somebody that owns one though. Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.

EDIT: Just saw this 750GB Momentus XT for $150. Not a bad deal...
Yeah, the performance of an SSD is hard to argue with - I'm thinking in terms of a laptop too, not desktops that can hold more than two hdds.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 02:58 PM   #160
zigyasu

I have read only features and waiting for the launch of windows 8. I have read some features and picture password is really a great option and many other option i have liked in this.
Old 03-31-12, 10:28 AM   #161
mojoman0

I wouldn't waste your time with a small ssd either. They are a lot slower than the same models with higher capacities. The ocz vertex 3 drives are now usually under the $1 per gb barrier and fast as hell. I would keep it to 120gb minimum and load all of your apps on it for quick performance
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-12, 07:23 PM   #162
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
I wouldn't waste your time with a small ssd either. They are a lot slower than the same models with higher capacities. The ocz vertex 3 drives are now usually under the $1 per gb barrier and fast as hell. I would keep it to 120gb minimum and load all of your apps on it for quick performance
Oh I'm not gonna' buy anything smaller than 120GB, infact I'd prefer 240GB just because I could put some programs and maybe even pictures and documents on the SSD. Not necessary by any means, but it'd be nice.

Windows 8 I couldn't give a fly's fart about, that's why I'll install it on my 30GB. I don't plan to use it very often. Why dump $120+ for a 120GB+ SSD for Windows 8 when I'll use it next to never? No the new SSD will be Windows 7 Ultimate and I'll use that far more than Windows 8. Only reason I'm even installing Windows 8 is so I'll be familiar with it to better help my clients. If I had it my way I'd never use Windows 8.
Old 03-31-12, 08:13 PM   #163
ElL33t
Brobama

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
Meh.. Win7 is going to be the new XP
I think you are right. I will be Riding Win7 Till it dies. I didn't like Win8 at all.
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 10:21 AM   #164
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElL33t View Post
I think you are right. I will be Riding Win7 Till it dies. I didn't like Win8 at all.
I bet they *fix* it in Win 9. I just can't see 8 doing any better, maybe worse than Vista at launch.

Old 04-03-12, 02:01 PM   #165
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I bet they *fix* it in Win 9. I just can't see 8 doing any better, maybe worse than Vista at launch.
If I may allow me to correct you-

I believe windows 8 will do very well on portable touch-screen devices. On laptops and desktops however, it's going to tank.

So 9 will likely incorporate the successes of 8 an 7. My predictions at least.
Old 04-03-12, 02:50 PM   #166
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
If I may allow me to correct you-

I believe windows 8 will do very well on portable touch-screen devices. On laptops and desktops however, it's going to tank.

So 9 will likely incorporate the successes of 8 an 7. My predictions at least.
Yes you may allow you to correct me

According to MS execs who have been interviewed, what we see now is what we will get.
Old 04-03-12, 03:49 PM   #167
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0 View Post
is it possible to install windows8 on a different partition with files in it? example partition E: with files? will it format that partition or can i keep the files and still install windows8?
You would want to resize (shrink) the existing partition that has the files in it, then create the new partition for 8 in the now empty space.

Just back your files up first. Win 8 (or 7 if this will be a dual boot machine) should be able to resize it for you no problem.
Old 04-11-12, 03:20 PM   #168
AthlonXP1800

Finally the good news for all users who hated Metro as start menu can now have full functional classic start menu back.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

Download and install Classic Shell then you can have start menu icon back on desktop, it worked much better than Stardock Start8 and Vistart. When Classic Shell is up and running on desktop, you will be no longer use Metro when switch from desktop to start screen at the bottom left corner screen. Charm is worked, you can switch from desktop to start screen through Charm at bottom right corner screen.

With this and Windows 8 will probably will sell well, it will finally give Metro haters and wanted start menu back a peace of mind.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote