Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-12, 10:52 AM   #1
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Firefall Beta Thread

So, been playing the beta of Firefall recently, and I have to say, this will be Game of the Year easily.

http://www.firefallthegame.com/home

Since the NDA dropped today, time for screenshots!

Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 10:53 AM   #2
ViN86

Default Re: EVERY DAY I'M THUMPERING

It's like Borderlands on crack. It's an awesome game.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:05 AM   #3
Redeemed

Never heard of it.

Vin, you said it's like Borderlands on crack- what do you mean? I'm not into BF3 and CoD style competitive on-line play but Co-op such as L4D or Borderlands is right up my alley- is that what this game is?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-12, 11:08 AM   #4
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Never heard of it.

Vin, you said it's like Borderlands on crack- what do you mean? I'm not into BF3 and CoD style competitive on-line play but Co-op such as L4D or Borderlands is right up my alley- is that what this game is?
Did you happen to click the link in my post? Would have answered your questions.
Old 04-06-12, 11:08 AM   #5
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Never heard of it.

Take Borderlands, now instead of a local map or a small multiplayer game, add a ton of people. Then add a party system and a PvP option. So it's like a massive online form of Borderlands where you can team up and complete objectives and rank up, or team up and take on other players.

Also, you can play 3rd person or 1st person, whichever you prefer.
Old 04-06-12, 11:13 AM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Did you happen to click the link in my post? Would have answered your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Take Borderlands, now instead of a local map or a small multiplayer game, add a ton of people. Then add a party system and a PvP option. So it's like a massive online form of Borderlands where you can team up and complete objectives and rank up, or team up and take on other players.

Also, you can play 3rd person or 1st person, whichever you prefer.
Hmm... so it's more of an MMO form of Borderlands?

Think I'll have to click that link in Roadie's OP, if for no other reason than to make him happy.

Thanks Vin. Gonna' keep my eye on this one. Sounds very interesting.
Old 04-06-12, 11:24 AM   #7
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
For some reason, I didn't find a short description of the game. Just its content.
ViN's explanation was much more useful than your link.

Usually game websites are this way somehow.
Here is the entire story of Firefall...
http://www.firefallthegame.com/game#/day_1

And then videos of gameplay... That wasn't so hard.
http://www.firefallthegame.com/media

Really, it's nothing like borderlands. It's nothing like any game currently out. It's pretty much its own unique game. Maybe the art style is slightly like borderlands, but that's where it ends.
Old 04-06-12, 11:27 AM   #8
Redeemed

zOMG!!!! Just watched the cinematic trailer... FREAKIN' LOVE IT!!!

So it appears that this isn't just a FFA CoD type game. There is a story with quests and you can PvP if you want, or you can just buddy up and go questing. Essentially a futuristic sci-fi WoW... only free.

Think I'll have to get in on this.

Old 04-06-12, 11:32 AM   #9
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
That's exactly what I mean. Story, Videos and other media is not what I call a short description about the game... I guess most websites want to suck you right into the game but I'd like to still have a short overview of a title without going into details.
This is a game you HAVE to go into details because there is simply so much to it.

For example... The world is dynamic. All the events are dynamic. You can log on in the morning for an hour, then quit and log on in the evening and it could be totally different. Your city could be taken over in that time and you have to fight to get it back. Or any numerous number of things.

You can't describe it by a simple paragraph. You have to go watch all the videos on youtube, and read about it. There is just that much depth to it.
Old 04-06-12, 11:32 AM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Here is the entire story of Firefall...
http://www.firefallthegame.com/game#/day_1

And then videos of gameplay... That wasn't so hard.
http://www.firefallthegame.com/media

Really, it's nothing like borderlands. It's nothing like any game currently out. It's pretty much its own unique game. Maybe the art style is slightly like borderlands, but that's where it ends.
Why so short, sweet pea?

I'm watching the videos on the site and it really seems like you can best describe it as WoW with a Sci-Fi story and environment. I'm referring to the MMORPG elements of WoW- you can quest or PvP in a massive world.

I honestly did enjoy WoW. Would have preferred it not have a monthly fee, far better visuals, and more of a story line but other wise I enjoyed it. Stopped playing though because I didn't enjoy it enough to warrant forking out monthly for it.

This, however, is free, has far better visuals, is sci-fi (I'm much more a sci-fi buff than a fantasy one)... sounds like a win to me.

Thanks for sharing this Roadster. Just may have found me a MP game I can stick with for a while.
Old 04-06-12, 11:35 AM   #11
ViN86

I think it's very similar to Borderlands, but much better. Once the beta is open or the game is released, we will see what others think.
Old 04-06-12, 11:35 AM   #12
Redeemed

Quote:
This is a game you HAVE to go into details because there is simply so much to it.

For example... The world is dynamic. All the events are dynamic. You can log on in the morning for an hour, then quit and log on in the evening and it could be totally different. Your city could be taken over in that time and you have to fight to get it back. Or any numerous number of things.

You can't describe it by a simple paragraph. You have to go watch all the videos on youtube, and read about it. There is just that much depth to it.
Makes it sound that much better... but I would imagine I may bore after a while.

I'm not very competitive so I'd enjoy questing far more than combating other players. However, it would be an interesting twist to, every once in a while, have to defend your town or whatever from an assault. I'd just hate to have that become the norm. It'd completely ruin the game for me.

EDIT: Would be much more tolerable if players could actually hold important roles within the game world. For example- the mayor of your town could be an actual player, and maybe they struck up an alliance with a neighboring town, and that town comes under siege. The mayor would post a quest to aid the neighboring town.

Or maybe you need to collect so much of a certain item, but it's a daunting task. You could post a quest where other players could help you for a reward, etc. Would add a new twist to questing I think.