Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-12, 03:11 AM   #13
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: tablet advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Actually using devices doesn't count anymore Crainger. The American way is to just read about them on the internet and trust what others say without experiencing anything for yourself...
Sometimes that's all you can do. I read many reviews and I was lucky enough to try both iOS and Android before I committed. However in the end I chose Apple, which means I did things the wrong way apparently.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 03:13 AM   #14
Redeemed

We've come to expect that from you, Crainger.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 04:00 AM   #15
Hogrider

Yea I guess I did it wrong too. I bought the supposedly top of the line Android phone at the time and had it and hated it for almost 2 years then jumped ship to an iphone which is wonderful. I should have got an iphone first. Ah well at least I got to actually experience an Android phone so I could have real user experience with it instead of just reading internets about it.
Old 04-14-12, 02:55 PM   #16
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
No, I'd say its more like there's two schools of thought when it comes to buying tech gadgets: there's the apple way, and then there's the smart way.

The apple way you find something that looks shiny and you buy it at whatever price they'll charge, and it's cool because all of your hip artsy fartsy friends at the coffee shop do it.

The smart way is you wait until the devices hit the market, you find the one that does what you need it to, read the reviews to find out where its faults are, and if you are comfortable with what you read, you find a good deal on it.

I mean any person with two licks of sense is going to pay attention to the reviews.
Yup, that's the ONLY "Apple way". Gotta love stereotypes eh?

But I agree with one thing. Go to a Best Buy and test them out for yourself. Read reviews and make the decision yourself.

Personally speaking, iOS is a quality OS with some amazing apps. You simply cannot go wrong with it. And if you cannot buy a brand new iPad, check out refurbs from the Apple website. They replace everything, so you pretty much get a brand new one with new parts and a new warranty. I did that with my iPad 1 last summer and only spent $350. It still works perfectly today and we use the heck out of it.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 03:40 PM   #17
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
No, I'd say its more like there's two schools of thought when it comes to buying tech gadgets: there's the apple way, and then there's the smart way.

The apple way you find something that looks shiny and you buy it at whatever price they'll charge, and it's cool because all of your hip artsy fartsy friends at the coffee shop do it.

The smart way is you wait until the devices hit the market, you find the one that does what you need it to, read the reviews to find out where its faults are, and if you are comfortable with what you read, you find a good deal on it.

I mean any person with two licks of sense is going to pay attention to the reviews.
lol you crack me up Rakeesh.

iPad reviews have been rave. iPhone reviews has been rave. You are an imbecile if you think Apple's success is due to "hip artists" using them.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-12, 06:55 PM   #18
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
We've come to expect that from you, Crainger.
Why you little…

Anyway back to Nate. Given you want to game, web browse and get into dj and music apps the iPad would be the best choice I feel. There are some great iOS games like Mass Effect infiltrator. Infinity Blade. Galaxy on Fire. Not to mention the Telltale adventure games. With web browsing you might miss Flash, so take that into consideration. But HTML 5 is becoming more popular as iOS gains popularity. As for music apps. No contest. Apple usually takes the lead here on all platforms. However productivity apps on ios can be a little pricey. Looking at $5-20 in most cases.

I'd aim for an iPad 3. Especially if you wanna do some gaming. You are looking at 360 level graphics (at first glance anyway) however I feel like I should add that while it has great battery life. You pay for it as it takes a lot of power and time to recharge. A standard USB port won't charge an iPad on its own without a windows tweak. Thankfully that tweak works on 90% of windows pcs in use today.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote