Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-12, 01:25 PM   #61
Hogrider

Default Re: HTC One XL

Android users NEVER troll iphone threads.

Relax and stop whining.

By the way I'm no Apple fan boy at all, I use Windows and won't even attempt using a Mac. I like things that work the best for me. I gave Android a try and it sucked. I like the iphone because I feel it's the best.
Old 04-15-12, 01:37 PM   #62
Redeemed

Meh. I never did get into the whole smart phone craze. I'm using a Samsung Intensity II right now and hate it. I miss my old Motorola flip phone. That was about as fancy as I care to get in a cell phone. Emphasis on using a phone as, well a phone. I.e. talking to other people via voice communications. Most phones now days seem to focus too much on texting or other usages, and the actual voice communication aspects are a second thought.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:02 PM   #63
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post
Keep dreaming. In the last quarter Apple sold more iPhones than all android phones combined:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/...-in-q4-report/

oh and that chart you posted is about six months old. That's why the numbers disagree with every article out there on the internet.

"Open source" and "open implementation" isn't something most people give a crap about. They just want it to work. People use macs because they work. Particularly the phone and the tablet.
Did you even read your own article?

A recent study from Nielsen corroborates Kantar’s numbers. According to Nielsen, 44.5 percent of customers who purchased a smartphone during the last three months of 2012 bought an iPhone, and 57 percent of those buyers got the iPhone 4S, Apple’s newest handset. At that time, Android still remained the No. 1 smartphone category, with 46.9 percent of buyers going for a Google-powered device.
Old 04-15-12, 02:12 PM   #64
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Did you even read your own article?

A recent study from Nielsen corroborates Kantar’s numbers. According to Nielsen, 44.5 percent of customers who purchased a smartphone during the last three months of 2012 bought an iPhone, and 57 percent of those buyers got the iPhone 4S, Apple’s newest handset. At that time, Android still remained the No. 1 smartphone category, with 46.9 percent of buyers] going for a Google-powered device.
You apparently can't read your own writing so I bolded it for emphasis. AT THAT TIME. MEANING PAST TENSE.

I see you've inherited your old fanboyism from the PS3 days....
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:39 PM   #65
Logical

Quote:
If you get this upset over a derailed thread you should re evaluate your life.
Nah, just i was following this thread with interest - missed a couple of days then wondered if there was any more information about the one XL only to come find pathetic, meaningless comments about "which is best"...Mostly by apple fanboys trying to get invalid points across to try and validate why they even have the iphone...

A realisation...A mobile phone is more personal than even a personal computer...People buy whatever suits them for there needs. As a downright geek for gadgets and anything techy i prefer the HTC Android / Samsung Android phones by a million miles to the iphone. Once rooted, the android devices open a potential not seen on the iphone.

Go back and read some of your comments and maybe then you will see how dumb you look telling others to re evaluate there lives.....
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 02:43 PM   #66
|MaguS|

Quote:
You apparently can't read your own writing so I bolded it for emphasis. AT THAT TIME. MEANING PAST TENSE.

I see you've inherited your old fanboyism from the PS3 days....
Its past tense you fool because its talking about the fiscal quarter that ended before the article was written/posted you twit.

Let me explain what the article is saying. During the months of Oct, Nov and Dec, the iPhone accounted for 44.5% of all smartphones sold while at that time android accounted for 46.9%.

So in regards to your comment that "In the last quarter Apple sold more iPhones than all android phones combined" you are wrong. Your own article states at that time (past tense since last quarter is in the past) it was outsold by Android.
Old 04-15-12, 04:06 PM   #67
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 04:41 PM   #68
Rakeesh

Quote:
"Open source" and "open implementation" isn't something most people give a crap about. They just want it to work. People use macs because they work. Particularly the phone and the tablet.
No, actually that isn't true at all. Take this for example: At the avnet tech games I just went to (and won some cash at btw ,) one of their contests was who would develop the best android app. Keep in mind these games are targetted at future STEM workers (science technology engineering and mathematics) and business professionals. These are the people who will be developing meaningful apps in the future. Iphone was curiously absent.

Now why would STEM workers and business professionals ignore iphone?

Keep in mind windows was mainly successful due to huge adoption in the business space.

Nevermind just business though, the DoD through the pentagon and ARPA is picking up android as well.

In other words, to the people that matter, android is the OS of choice.

But aside from that, as magus pointed out, even while iphone had a surge in sales, android was still outselling it.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-12, 04:51 PM   #69
Rakeesh

Oh and by the way, the true brains behind Apple back in the day, Steve Wozniak "The Woz" has this to say about android:

Quote:
Speaking to The Daily Beast, Woz openly chatted about the pros and cons of Android. "My primary phone is the iPhone," Woz said. "I love the beauty of it. But I wish it did all the things my Android does, I really do."

What things, Woz, what things? Turns out he's particularly impressed by, of all things, the voice recognition, GPS navigation and, since the launch of the iPhone 4S, battery life.

Ultimately, while he admits that iOS is more immediately user-friendly, he went on to explain that with Android phones "if you're willing to do the work to understand it a little bit, well I hate to say it, but there's more available in some ways."

It doesn't come as a huge shock that Woz likes Android. After all, he headed straight to Google HQ to pick up a pre-release Galaxy Nexus.

It also turns out that, just like us, Woz isn't currently a huge fan of Siri. Speaking again to the Daily Beast, he said:

"I used to ask Siri, ‘What are the five biggest lakes in California?' and it would come back with the answer. Now it just misses. It gives me real estate listings. I used to ask, ‘What are the prime numbers greater than 87?' and it would answer. Now instead of getting prime numbers, I get listings for prime rib, or prime real estate.

"With the iPhone 4 I could press a button and call my wife. Now on the 4S I can only do that when Siri can connect over the Internet. But many times it can't connect. I've never had Android come back and say, ‘I can't connect over the Internet.'"
http://gizmodo.com/5876719/steve-woz...iphone-kind-of

That news comes from gizmodo by the way, a site heavily biased in favor of apple.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 05:09 PM   #70
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

So the people in the government and tinkerers are the only ones that matter? The majority of smartphone users just want their devices to work, plain and simple.

I'll even admit that Android gets to certain features way before iOS does, but just like any piece of alpha/beta software, you are going to run into problems and bugs. I don't want any of that. I want my device to work right out of the box. The iPhone/iPad has done just that for me without any tweaking necessary. Heck, even jailbreaking is a waste of time IMO.

I don't have a lot of spare time any more and I def don't want to waste it on tinkering any more. Godspeed to those who love it, but I hate it.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 05:16 PM   #71
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
So the people in the government and tinkerers are the only ones that matter? The majority of smartphone users just want their devices to work, plain and simple.

I'll even admit that Android gets to certain features way before iOS does, but just like any piece of alpha/beta software, you are going to run into problems and bugs. I don't want any of that. I want my device to work right out of the box. The iPhone/iPad has done just that for me without any tweaking necessary. Heck, even jailbreaking is a waste of time IMO.

I don't have a lot of spare time any more and I def don't want to waste it on tinkering any more. Godspeed to those who love it, but I hate it.
I've never had to tinker with one of my Android devices to get it to work. That's a pretty stupid thing to say that Android users have to tinker with and tweak their devices to get them to work. You can't honestly think that is true, right?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 05:25 PM   #72
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I've never had to tinker with one of my Android devices to get it to work. That's a pretty stupid thing to say that Android users have to tinker with and tweak their devices to get them to work. You can't honestly think that is true, right?
That's what it took for my Droid to work properly. Sure, "It's an older device that doesn't support the latest version, blah blah". Going from 2.1-2.3, stock and rooted/custom ROMs, I always found a huge problem with it.

This is just my personal experience so I'm sure that it will get debunked shortly here . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote