Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-15-12, 06:31 PM   #73
Rakeesh

Default Re: HTC One XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
So the people in the government and tinkerers are the only ones that matter? The majority of smartphone users just want their devices to work, plain and simple.
Well yes, the tinkerers are critical because they create the apps and add the features that the rest will later use. The majority of smartphone users do not. If the tinkerers don't like your platform, your platform is doomed.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 06:59 PM   #74
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Very true. Especially where more often than not there are costs involved in buying apps. I have a moderate iOS library. When I upgrade it will feature heavily in my choice to stay with, or abandon iOS. However if some one else has come up with some killer apps, all bets are off.

I've been reading reviews of the One X. I've never been a fan of skinning an OS, more often than not it's kind of clunky and buggy. I am glad HTC has cut back their Sense skin to show more of the improved Android OS. Still, from what I read it kinda gets in the way of music and media playback.

The big concern I've read in most reviews is the battery life is pretty bad. Hi lighted by the fact you can't swap a new one in for long days, trips etc. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 07:09 PM   #75
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
That's what it took for my Droid to work properly. Sure, "It's an older device that doesn't support the latest version, blah blah". Going from 2.1-2.3, stock and rooted/custom ROMs, I always found a huge problem with it.

This is just my personal experience so I'm sure that it will get debunked shortly here . . .
You make it sound like because you had a problem with your crappy Android phone, that EVERYONE with an Android phone will have problems. I can't wait till you have an issue with your crApple iphone. Though, I guess all the people posting about issues with their iphones on forums must be lying. Same with the android users that don't have any problems. Both sides have people that have had issues with their devices. Simple as that.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 07:14 PM   #76
crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I can't wait till you have an issue with your crApple iphone.
It might be a similar transition back to Android as the one from PC to 360.

ololololololololololololololol
Old 04-15-12, 07:16 PM   #77
Hogrider

I know what you mean six_storm, my Android experience was fairly crappy as well. I got tired of the bugs and having to mess with the phones. I just wanted them to work. Luckily the iphone fit what we wanted out of a smart phone.
Old 04-15-12, 07:23 PM   #78
crainger

With Android I find you get out what you put in. If I still worked in IT where it was my job to tweak and play, I'd probably have an Android. That's why I always had HTC WM over Palm and Blackberry back in the day. However, now I'm on the go a lot working as a designer, surrounded by iPod compatible docks in cars, iOS only apps. For example my bank has a brilliant iOS app and I use it quite a bit. However they have only a basic offering on Android as the user base just isn't there for them.

I need the phone that just works in my life. It does work well I might add.

And we're back off topic again ::
Old 04-15-12, 08:05 PM   #79
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Well yes, the tinkerers are critical because they create the apps and add the features that the rest will later use. The majority of smartphone users do not. If the tinkerers don't like your platform, your platform is doomed.
Fair enough. If iOS is "doomed" as a platform, then I expect the number of new apps in the App Store to shrink very, very fast. For some reason, I don't see that happening. Devs are going to continue to make apps for iOS for a long time to come.

I get it: some people like to tinker, but they are NOT the only ones that matter. The end user matters just as much IMO. The end user wants a phone that just works. No flashing, tweaking, rooting, etc.

Quote:
You make it sound like because you had a problem with your crappy Android phone, that EVERYONE with an Android phone will have problems. I can't wait till you have an issue with your crApple iphone. Though, I guess all the people posting about issues with their iphones on forums must be lying. Same with the android users that don't have any problems. Both sides have people that have had issues with their devices. Simple as that.
Every has played this card around here lol. I base my judgement on the phones that I've personally owned, worked on at my job and managed through family and friends. Everyone I know that owns an Android dislikes their phone for one reason or another; poor app selection, Marketplace not having X app, slow phone, bloatware, etc.

I personally had the original Droid 1, tweaked the heck out of it and still never got it to a stable state. Now I have an iPhone 4 and it's been 0 problems since day one. Call it what you will, but I call it like I see it.

Android does have potential and I respect it for what it is: a tweaker's heaven and a regular user's nightmare.

I have my opinion and you have yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
It might be a similar transition back to Android as the one from PC to 360.
It is similar. I finally got tired of tweaking my stupid gaming PC and wanted something that worked right out of the box. So many hours wasted on that tinkering crap (and Android) that I wish I had back; I do enough of that crap at work.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 08:08 PM   #80
Roadhog
Resident Alien

I honestly think you just have a huge case of PEBKAC.

Old 04-15-12, 08:13 PM   #81
crainger

This will not end well.

So how about that camera? 99 shots a minute?! Crazy for a smart phone. Though handy to have on a phone you take with you everywhere. No need to wait for the perfect moment and snap, just start shooting and you'll get it. One thing that bugs me about my iPhone is how slow the camera app starts up, and how slow it is taking HDA pics. I wonder if the One could also do a HDA pic without needing super steady hand to avoid blurring? Also cool you can grab a photo while shooting HD video.
Old 04-15-12, 08:17 PM   #82
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
I honestly think you just have a huge case of PEBKAC.
Nah, I just know what works for me. I also know that I don't like wasting my time on stuff that should already work out of the box.

This will never end.

But in typical NVNews fashion, opinions get shot down and everyone else is right except for you lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 08:22 PM   #83
Redeemed

Just one question- what does "PEBKAC" stand for?

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 08:23 PM   #84
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Nah, I just know what works for me. I also know that I don't like wasting my time on stuff that should already work out of the box.

This will never end.

But in typical NVNews fashion, opinions get shot down and everyone else is right except for you lol.
lol. I said that both have problems for people and both don't have problems. I don't see how you can't agree with that. Instead you had to say something that your friends have problems with their phone too to try and back up your opinion that all android phone have problems. I could go there too and say that none of my friends with android have any problems with their phones, which they don't that I know of, but it doesn't matter.

There is a difference between opinions and flat out false information.