Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-12-12, 07:11 AM   #169
Cylphid

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
Finally the good news for all users who hated Metro as start menu can now have full functional classic start menu back.

http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

Download and install Classic Shell then you can have start menu icon back on desktop, it worked much better than Stardock Start8 and Vistart. When Classic Shell is up and running on desktop, you will be no longer use Metro when switch from desktop to start screen at the bottom left corner screen. Charm is worked, you can switch from desktop to start screen through Charm at bottom right corner screen.

With this and Windows 8 will probably will sell well, it will finally give Metro haters and wanted start menu back a peace of mind.
I want the option to be built in by MS. Otherwise it's just a hacked/3rd party patched OS that gives me very little incentive to leave 7.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 03:53 AM   #170
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Yup, and every patch, service pack we'll ave to wait for the shell to be updated if it's not broken permanently.

I have the consumer preview on my laptop. It's pretty nifty, for a tablet, but anything else. It's just clunky. I can see why Valve is getting more and more buddy buddy with Apple.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 03:34 PM   #171
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Yup, and every patch, service pack we'll ave to wait for the shell to be updated if it's not broken permanently.

I have the consumer preview on my laptop. It's pretty nifty, for a tablet, but anything else. It's just clunky. I can see why Valve is getting more and more buddy buddy with Apple.
Yes, ran it on my laptop as well and it's not a seamless, enjoyable experience. Regarding Apple and Valve, I wouldn't even keep a windows partition if all my games would run natively on another OS.

I really don't care for MS and win8 give me another reason not too.
Old 04-15-12, 03:59 PM   #172
Redeemed

Yeah anybody I speak to regarding Windows 8 thinks it's gonna' be a failure. I'm of a mixed opinion- don't know what direction it's going to go in. If the sales of all in one desktops continues to increase, with touch interfaces, much to our dismay windows 8 may do very well.

However I don't think the omission of the start button and menu will be permanent. Far too many usage scenarios where that is just a more efficient UI. However I can see MS implementing a radically redesigned UI for Windows 9- one that is intuitive for touch as well as one more streamlined and natural for those rocking a keyboard and mouse (such as all of us here). Because of the failure I think Windows 8 might be I'm actually really excited about Windows 9.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-12, 04:08 PM   #173
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Yeah anybody I speak to regarding Windows 8 thinks it's gonna' be a failure. I'm of a mixed opinion- don't know what direction it's going to go in. If the sales of all in one desktops continues to increase, with touch interfaces, much to our dismay windows 8 may do very well.

However I don't think the omission of the start button and menu will be permanent. Far too many usage scenarios where that is just a more efficient UI. However I can see MS implementing a radically redesigned UI for Windows 9- one that is intuitive for touch as well as one more streamlined and natural for those rocking a keyboard and mouse (such as all of us here). Because of the failure I think Windows 8 might be I'm actually really excited about Windows 9.
I'm not I don't need or want a: touch based OS on my non touch screen laptops or b: an OS that I have to hack to make what I want. The orb and menus are still there, registry tweaks are needed to make them accessible and future updates could easily break the hack and/or OS.

I agree with you about 9 though. I do hope 8 is an abysmal failure due to the touch interface.
Old 04-16-12, 09:06 AM   #174
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:

windows 8 will be biggest failure on desktop and notebooks in MS history, it might be able to grab them a piece of tablet market.

i did few experiments at work, where I had my laptop, and gave it to few people in different departments to try it and use it for their daily tasks. Out of about 10 people, only one person liked it. 6 of them could not get back to the metro giant boxes screen. One person couldn't figure out how to logon to the pc in 20+ minutes.
Old 04-16-12, 09:19 AM   #175
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I'm not I don't need or want a: touch based OS on my non touch screen laptops
I don't even like touch screen. again on tablet or phone is ok, because there is no other input method. but on laptop of desktop is just not efficient.

when I use my desktop at home or work I usually lean back in chair, keyboard is at the edge of desk, and monitor as far as possible in the back. i don't want to lean forward extend my arm over entire desk and make smudge marks on my calibrated ips screen so then when i would edit my pictures the snudge marks would slightly alter colors.

i just don't see benefit of waving your arms at a screen.
Old 04-16-12, 09:45 AM   #176
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
windows 8 will be biggest failure on desktop and notebooks in MS history, it might be able to grab them a piece of tablet market.

i did few experiments at work, where I had my laptop, and gave it to few people in different departments to try it and use it for their daily tasks. Out of about 10 people, only one person liked it. 6 of them could not get back to the metro giant boxes screen. One person couldn't figure out how to logon to the pc in 20+ minutes.
Normally I would laugh, but I had a similar experience. Their implementation is horrible for anything that doesn't have a touch screen. It might be great on tablets, but so is android and as far as I'm concerned a tablet is the only place 8 belongs.

I don't have any desktop PCs, but I agree with all your other points in the other post too. I'm either in my vehicle, at my desk or on the couch with a laptop that doesn't have a touch screen.

Metro = worthless to me, and so far, everyone I've had try it.

Old 04-16-12, 10:45 AM   #177
Redeemed

Personally I do agree with your points- Windows 8 offers nothing of interest to me.

However all in one desktop computer sales have been increasing. Many of them are touch screens. If this continues there is a possibility that as much as we may not like it 8 may be successful to some degree. Not saying it will be, just saying it is possible.

I still wont be using it as a main OS. I'll only have it so I can learn it to better assist my clients. 7 will be my home OS for the foreseeable future.
Old 04-16-12, 11:05 AM   #178
TheOneAndOnly

Quote:
However all in one desktop computer sales have been increasing. Many of them are touch screens. If this continues there is a possibility that as much as we may not like it 8 may be successful to some degree. Not saying it will be, just saying it is possible.
I haven't seen one touch screen all-in-one that even looks decent enough to use. The screen is no where near as capable as a capacitive surface. And why the hell would one want to even use a vertical touch surface?
The only time I've seen that be useful is for industrial businesses that use touch screens for occasional use. Otherwise, what's the point of working against gravity? It makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm sorry, but thats just plain bad design.
TheOneAndOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:07 AM   #179
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly View Post
I haven't seen one touch screen all-in-one that even looks decent enough to use. The screen is no where near as capable as a capacitive surface. And why the hell would one want to even use a vertical touch surface?
The only time I've seen that be useful is for industrial businesses that use touch screens for occasional use. Otherwise, what's the point of working against gravity? It makes no sense whatsoever.
Why don't you go ask all the average joes and grandma's that buy them from big box stores?

I agree with you, I'll likely never own an all in one let alone a touch screen. The general public, however...
Old 04-16-12, 11:09 AM   #180
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly View Post
That's what I keep telling your mom any time she starts talking about ya'.