Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-12, 12:12 PM   #181
TheOneAndOnly

Default Re: Windows 8 Consumer Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Why don't you go ask all the average joes and grandma's that buy them from big box stores?

I agree with you, I'll likely never own an all in one let alone a touch screen. The general public, however...
...are typically Republicans...
TheOneAndOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 12:13 PM   #182
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly View Post
...are typically Republicans...

I MISSED YOU ORLY!!!

Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 12:33 PM   #183
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly View Post
I haven't seen one touch screen all-in-one that even looks decent enough to use. The screen is no where near as capable as a capacitive surface. And why the hell would one want to even use a vertical touch surface?
The only time I've seen that be useful is for industrial businesses that use touch screens for occasional use. Otherwise, what's the point of working against gravity? It makes no sense whatsoever.
I'm sorry, but thats just plain bad design.
I think Redeemed works for one of those places that markets to.........................republicans

Sorry Redeemed

MS is trying to push an OS that's geared towards a very small niche market, momma leaning over the counter to look up a recipe

Touch screens are very successful where they are most practical, tablets and phones, and even some tablets have keyboards that can be attached.

MS is banking on the market suddenly being flooded with touch screen PCs and no matter how it's done, one segment of the market or another is going to be *at best* inconvenienced. It's like someone said at the previews release, why would they want to alienate such a huge portion of their user base?

Bad design decisions, bad marketing strategy, disregarding the vast majority of their user base for what amounts to a change for the sake of saying "We did it differently!"

Yeah, I hope 8 ends horribly for MS.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 01:07 PM   #184
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I think Redeemed works for one of those places that markets to.........................republicans

Sorry Redeemed

MS is trying to push an OS that's geared towards a very small niche market, momma leaning over the counter to look up a recipe

Touch screens are very successful where they are most practical, tablets and phones, and even some tablets have keyboards that can be attached.

MS is banking on the market suddenly being flooded with touch screen PCs and no matter how it's done, one segment of the market or another is going to be *at best* inconvenienced. It's like someone said at the previews release, why would they want to alienate such a huge portion of their user base?

Bad design decisions, bad marketing strategy, disregarding the vast majority of their user base for what amounts to a change for the sake of saying "We did it differently!"

Yeah, I hope 8 ends horribly for MS.
It is a gamble on their part. As I've said the sales for all in one desktop PCs has gown... but not by leaps and bounds either.

I think MS is gambling that the kind of desktops we use here, are going to become the niche markets. While the all in one PCs with touch screen will become the norm. Hence their focus on Metro.

There's a very big chance that wont happen, and the market for all in ones does not increase as they appear to be anticipating. If that's the case, then 8 will be a flop after which I can guarantee 9 will have some sort of re-introduction of the start button and menu.

The other alternative is as I've already stated- the sales of all in one touchscreen desktop PCs will grow as MS must think it will causing 8 to be a success. In which case we may never see start button and menu again without the use of hacks or even shells.

But from what I gather the Start Button and Menu have not been removed entirely, it's still possible to enable them via registry tweaks. If this is the case then it is likely MS did this for a reason. It seems like it'd be fully possible to release maybe with the first or second SP and "update" that re-enables the start button and menu "just in case" metro flops.
Old 04-16-12, 01:11 PM   #185
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
But from what I gather the Start Button and Menu have not been removed entirely, it's still possible to enable them via registry tweaks. If this is the case then it is likely MS did this for a reason. It seems like it'd be fully possible to release maybe with the first or second SP and "update" that re-enables the start button and menu "just in case" metro flops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
I'm not I don't need or want a: touch based OS on my non touch screen laptops or b: an OS that I have to hack to make what I want. The orb and menus are still there, registry tweaks are needed to make them accessible and future updates could easily break the hack and/or OS.

I agree with you about 9 though. I do hope 8 is an abysmal failure due to the touch interface.

EDIT: And the touch screen market won't grow much.

I forbid it.

Old 04-16-12, 02:29 PM   #186
Redeemed

Old 04-16-12, 03:16 PM   #187
Rakeesh

When I hear the word metro it makes me think of that southpark episode where the whole town turned gay.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 01:40 AM   #188
AthlonXP1800

As many say Windows 8 will be a failure when they didnt like or not accepted metro to replace start menu. Guess what? They are in tiny minority!

It is surprised Microsoft twitter confirmed Windows 8 Consumer Preview is very successful product downloaded and installed more than twice as many than Windows 7 beta.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...windows-7-beta

Windows 7 beta had more than 8 million downloads and installed so that mean Windows 8 Consumer Preview was downloaded and installed on more than 16 million PCs, it seemed they all are happy accepted metro.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-12, 05:41 AM   #189
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
When I hear the word metro it makes me think of that southpark episode where the whole town turned gay.
::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 01:09 PM   #190
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
As many say Windows 8 will be a failure when they didnt like or not accepted metro to replace start menu. Guess what? They are in tiny minority!

It is surprised Microsoft twitter confirmed Windows 8 Consumer Preview is very successful product downloaded and installed more than twice as many than Windows 7 beta.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft...windows-7-beta

Windows 7 beta had more than 8 million downloads and installed so that mean Windows 8 Consumer Preview was downloaded and installed on more than 16 million PCs, it seemed they all are happy accepted metro.
I bet ya 16 million PCs have malware on them too, doesn't mean it stays there.
Old 04-23-12, 12:34 AM   #191
Zelda_fan

Tablet PCs are the future. Desktops will slowly switch from mouse/keyboard to touchscreen/keyboard.

Just look at what Apple's doing and their ridiculous growth over the last 5 years. Microsoft is no fool. They want something that's going to compete with iOS, and Windows 8 is their answer. Whether it's well received or not... who knows, but it's not going to be a massive failure, I can guarantee you that.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 03:17 PM   #192
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

when the CP came out, I installed it on my primary PC. After 15 mins I removed it. Last week, I bought a Dell Inspiron One to try out the CP as a touch based OS. And color me impressed. Except for the clickable corners, the experience has been quite smooth.

As a casual OS it has been pretty good. I still wont put a metro ui based OS on my primary pc, but will definitely be looking out for windows 8 based tablets and phones in my next purchase list.