Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-12, 12:30 AM   #193
Hogrider

Default Re: HTC One XL

The fact is you are supposed to pay for it. It's not that important to me, like I said we only use it maybe once a year so no thank you.
Also it is not only against Sprint's policy it is also Verizon, T Mobile and AT&Ts.
I just read something about Verizon cracking down on those apps to allow tethering without paying them. Yep I read the internets sometimes too

I'm just glad you were smart enough to know they are supposed to charge you, unlike a certain other moron which shall remain nameless
Old 04-18-12, 12:39 AM   #194
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
I just read something about Verizon cracking down on those apps to allow tethering without paying them. Yep I read the internets sometimes too
The only way verizon could possibly crack down on them would involve violating privacy and wiretap laws.

There is nothing at all from stopping you from sideloading them, even if verizon asks google to carrier restrict them on the android market.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 12:41 AM   #195
Hogrider

You'll have to take that up with them, I don't work for Verizon or Google.
Old 04-18-12, 04:35 AM   #196
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

IF too many people do the wrong thing they'll probably just introduce strict data limits with higher addons to increase the limit. Which is a shame because that affects everyone.

I only get 3Gb p/m, but it's it's free, and I can tether with permission. I rarely use more than 1Gb a month anyway.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 09:15 AM   #197
ViN86

Quote:
The fact is you are supposed to pay for it. It's not that important to me, like I said we only use it maybe once a year so no thank you.
Also it is not only against Sprint's policy it is also Verizon, T Mobile and AT&Ts.

I'm just glad you were smart enough to know they are supposed to charge you, unlike a certain other moron which shall remain nameless
Wow, he was wrong. Big deal. Doesn't justify you calling him names for the next few days. And wireless tethering is what costs money. Wired tethering can still be done for free on Android phones. But it's probably way too much tweaking for you Apple users. With USB Debug mode available on all Android phones, it's very difficult for the carriers to block it.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/...uired-2012013/

Oh and it takes about 5 minutes and some common sense to get wireless tethering working for free.

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

Good luck with that on the iPhone. First you need a jailbreak, then you typically have to pay for the app on the jailbreak Cydia store. Not to mention the fact that there's no untethered jailbreak for iOS5.1 yet.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 09:50 AM   #198
Hogrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Wow, he was wrong. Big deal. Doesn't justify you calling him names for the next few days. And wireless tethering is what costs money. Wired tethering can still be done for free on Android phones. But it's probably way too much tweaking for you Apple users. With USB Debug mode available on all Android phones, it's very difficult for the carriers to block it.

Oh and it takes about 5 minutes and some common sense to get wireless tethering working for free.

Good luck with that on the iPhone. First you need a jailbreak, then you typically have to pay for the app on the jailbreak Cydia store. Not to mention the fact that there's no untethered jailbreak for iOS5.1 yet.
I gave him a hard time because I tried to correct him but he was too much of a moron to understand. It's cute of you to take up for him though.
I have no need to wire tether nor jailbreak my iphone.

You can hack anything if you really want to.You can also pirate movies and music easily if you really wanted to but the fact is you are supposed to pay for it and that's what my argument was.
Old 04-18-12, 10:05 AM   #199
ViN86

Quote:
I gave him a hard time because I tried to correct him but he was too much of a moron to understand. It's cute of you to take up for him though.
I have no need to wire tether nor jailbreak my iphone.

You can hack anything if you really want to.You can also pirate movies and music easily if you really wanted to but the fact is you are supposed to pay for it and that's what my argument was.
No, I'm just sick of your behavior. You were right, move on. There's no need to call people idiots and morons for the remainder of the thread.
Old 04-18-12, 10:17 AM   #200
Hogrider

Then stop bringing it up.

Old 04-18-12, 11:26 AM   #201
Bman212121

Quote:

Oddly enough I just got done configuring an iphone for tethering. The built in works very well. You literally can just plug the phone into the pc and usb tether mode is ready to go. I also configured the laptop for wifi but if it were mine I would be using USB tethering since there is no extra overhead for wireless and your device is going to be charging while you are using it.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 11:33 AM   #202
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Oddly enough I just got done configuring an iphone for tethering. The built in works very well. You literally can just plug the phone into the pc and usb tether mode is ready to go. I also configured the laptop for wifi but if it were mine I would be using USB tethering since there is no extra overhead for wireless and your device is going to be charging while you are using it.
Yea I was referring to getting free wireless tethering on the iPhone.

That's pretty cool the USB tether works so well. I'm pretty sure you can do it easily via Bluetooth as well, but that's not a great option.
Old 04-18-12, 12:55 PM   #203
Rakeesh

Quote:
Wow, he was wrong. Big deal. Doesn't justify you calling him names for the next few days.
No big deal, I'm used to this kind of thing on the P&R forum

I've clobbered every anti-android comment they've made in this thread, so they're trying to grasp at straws to justify the purchase of their little novelty phones

Quote:
And wireless tethering is what costs money. Wired tethering can still be done for free on Android phones. But it's probably way too much tweaking for you Apple users.
And that's the key thing really. Zelda_fan himself basically says that if it can't be done out of the box, he won't do it. And android does a lot more things out of the box than iphone does.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 02:05 PM   #204
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

I hope these phones are actually good performers. I've yet to use an android phone that is anywhere near as smooth as my windows phone (and I'm a fan of android). Closest so far has been a Galaxy S 2.

I was really let down by the Galaxy Nexus which is a total pos.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote