Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-12, 11:52 AM   #13
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: ETA for nV GeForce GTX 675M w/2GB

Why exactly do you believe the DisplayPort connector is being driven by the NVIDIA chip? The X log seems to state otherwise; have you tried switching to the Intel driver?
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 12:11 PM   #14
jesmith

That was just a bad assumption on my part. I haven't tried the intel driver yet. I was hoping that I could just pretend it wasn't there, and continue to drive the NVIDIA stack directly (like I've been doing for years), but that certainly doesn't look to be in the cards, huh? I've been reading up on Optimus and Bumblebee, and it looks like a whole lot of unsupported kludgy mess.

I notice that Sager has a Quadro-based alternative. Will I have the same problems if we get Quadro FX 5010M systems instead?
jesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-12, 12:18 PM   #15
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

It's impossible to say without first-hand experience, unfortunately. Optimus is pretty well-supported on Windows, but as you pointed out the situation on Linux is a bit messy right now.

If I had to guess, they used the same design with a different chip and display won't be wired either, but it's really impossible to know unless they document this somewhere.

Are there other options in the SBIOS pertaining to selecting the VGA device, and have you tried all combinations there? I know on recent Dell laptops you can totally disable the Intel device and directly wire the NVIDIA chip to the display through a similar option, but on some designs there just isn't a display muxer that would let you do that (or it's not configurable).
Old 04-17-12, 12:36 PM   #16
jesmith

There aren't any video-related options in the BIOS at all, unfortunately. I suspect you are right that the Quadro is just a different daughter card connected to the same hard-wired mobo. I've sent them an email to check.

I'm reading up on vga_switcheroo right now. It looks like a less kludgy solution than bumblebee.

I'll keep the thread posted with my discoveries...
Old 04-17-12, 12:52 PM   #17
jesmith

The guy at Sager says that the NP9270 (ironically, the machine I incorrectly linked to earlier, now corrected) is the only non-Optimus discrete graphics notebook they have. We'll have to decide whether to switch to that, or spend more time trying to cobble together a solution that works on the NP9150.
Old 04-17-12, 11:02 PM   #18
LLStarks

I hope Nvidia is feeling the pressure to offer a FOSS driver or push harder for dma-buf access.

The new "top to bottom Optimus" strategy is going to kill the Linux laptop experience unless something changes.
LLStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 11:58 AM   #19
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLStarks View Post
I hope Nvidia is feeling the pressure to offer a FOSS driver or push harder for dma-buf access.
https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/2/19/88
Old 04-18-12, 03:59 PM   #20
LLStarks

I've seen that.

When I spoke to Clark on IRC a few weeks ago, he wanted you guys to resubmit the patch for inclusion in the 3.4 release and Semwal's for-next tree.

Old 04-19-12, 03:46 PM   #21
jesmith

OK, I've built bumblebee and it doesn't work. The problem, interestingly, is EXACTLY the same problem I had in the logs when I was just trying to run the drivers in a headless mode: no screen!

I've tried every value I can think of for "ConnectedMonitor" and yet I still get the unhelpful message:

Quote:
Invalid ConnectedMonitor request; request for for '', but the
valid display devices are ''.
No display devices found for this X screen.
Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
Any ideas?
Old 04-19-12, 04:02 PM   #22
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

I was under the impression that Bumblebee provided its own configuration file for the offscreen X server driven by the NVIDIA chip. You're probably better off using the Bumblebee PPA alongside a supported Ubuntu release, just to make sure that it's sane on this laptop, and then try a custom-built solution.

For reference, here are the contents of the xorg.conf.nvidia file shipped through this PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~bumblebee/+ar...able/+packages

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Layout0"
    Option "AutoAddDevices" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Device1"
    Driver "nvidia"
    VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    Option "NoLogo" "true"
    Option "UseEDID" "false"
    Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
EndSection
Old 04-19-12, 04:18 PM   #23
jesmith

Yes, it's using the bumblebee-provided file (identical to what you quoted). I've tried DFP, CRT, DFP-0, CRT-0, etc., in that file and they all have the same result. (I get a different error if I put something bogus in there, like DP1, so I know it's reading the file.)

There is an issue being tracked in the bumblebee forums just like mine, so I'm not alone here.

I recall reading once that there was a different nvidia option for running headless, but that it was only available for quadro cards. I can't find that option in the docs now, though.
Old 04-19-12, 07:44 PM   #24
LLStarks

If Nvidia wishes to provide troubleshooting support Bumblebee, we'd be glad to accept any GPL patches you send our way too.

We could really use a new transport method that eliminates the VirtualGL bottleneck. Even tips on how we improve our existing setup would be nice.