Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-18-12, 09:26 PM   #25
ViN86

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Well then again the Nexus line of phones all have google's hand in their design, and thus get the "pure google" builds:

http://code.google.com/android/nexus/images.html

So far I'm not aware of any design flaws in the nexus line.
The fact that no one else put their hands on the OS is what makes the device so nice to use. It's like running Windows with bloatware versus a clean install. Add superior hardware specs and you have a real winner.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 09:27 PM   #26
ViN86

Quote:
From what I understand, on all nexus phones you simply issue a "fastboot oem unlock" command through ADB.
Yes, but to root you have to push a file to your phone and use Clockwork Recovery to flash it. That program supports both LTE/HSPA+ phones, and it's the easiest method.
Old 04-18-12, 09:32 PM   #27
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yes, but to root you have to push a file to your phone and use Clockwork Recovery to flash it. That program supports both LTE/HSPA+ phones, and it's the easiest method.
You can do that with ADB too, I think the command was something like "adb push /path/to/file /destination/file" then "flash_image /destination/file" I don't remember the exact commands but I've done it a few times on different android phones.

The key difference between the nexus phones and other brands (e.g. HTC) is that the fastboot oem unlock command actually works.

There are a bunch of one click tools that do it all, but I'm somewhat of a purist and tend to do it myself.

Pretty nice design IMO because you have all of the security benefits of a walled garden but you're allowed to leave if you want. On apple if you try to leave the walled garden, they'll do you up the butt.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 09:39 PM   #28
Hogrider

Aha so that's why I saw your mom crawling over the garden wall with an apple...
Old 04-18-12, 10:20 PM   #29
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Aha so that's why I saw your mom crawling over the garden wall with an apple...
Well the thing with a walled garden, is that you are arbitrarily told you can't do certain things, and the reason they tell you that you can't do these things is "just because we can." Take for example when that guy wrote that wifi sync app for iphone, and apple just said no. No reason to say no, they just didn't want it to happen. It would be like microsoft telling you that you must use internet explorer instead of firefox or chrome, just because they can.

I'm not a democrat, so I don't put up with being told what I can't do.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 04-18-12, 11:56 PM   #30
ViN86

Quote:
You can do that with ADB too, I think the command was something like "adb push /path/to/file /destination/file" then "flash_image /destination/file" I don't remember the exact commands but I've done it a few times on different android phones.

The key difference between the nexus phones and other brands (e.g. HTC) is that the fastboot oem unlock command actually works.

There are a bunch of one click tools that do it all, but I'm somewhat of a purist and tend to do it myself.

Pretty nice design IMO because you have all of the security benefits of a walled garden but you're allowed to leave if you want. On apple if you try to leave the walled garden, they'll do you up the butt.
Yea you can definitely do it yourself with adb, but I used that all-in-one tool just because it's so easy.

Quote:
I'm not a democrat, so I don't put up with being told what I can't do.
LOL quote of the thread imo.
Old 04-19-12, 05:32 AM   #31
Hogrider

You are told every day what you can't do. You can't drive around without a drivers license or license plate, you can't rob stores, you can't run naked in the streets and so on. Wait a minute, does that mean we are all democrats?
You either put up with it or you don't mind because you don't want to do it anyways.
Old 04-19-12, 07:33 AM   #32
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
You are told every day what you can't do. You can't drive around without a drivers license or license plate, you can't rob stores, you can't run naked in the streets and so on. Wait a minute, does that mean we are all democrats?
You either put up with it or you don't mind because you don't want to do it anyways.
You don't run naked in the streets? Guess I'm the only one . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-12, 08:54 AM   #33
ViN86

Quote:
I am a strong believer of being able to do what you want with a device if you paid for it. This doesn't mean being able to do whatever you want with the OS. That's a license you get for use. But the hardware is yours and you should be able to load whatever software you want on it.

When manufacturers lock devices they dictate what you can do with your hardware. That's not right imo.
Old 04-19-12, 09:52 AM   #34
ViN86

Damn good deal for this device on Newegg atm. $450 for a GSM Galaxy Nexus Titanium phone without a contract.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-75176322-L0J
Old 04-19-12, 11:59 AM   #35
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
You don't run naked in the streets? Guess I'm the only one . . .
Can imagine it now....Mac under 1 arm, Xbox360 under the other and your iphone swinging from your anatomy with a sign on your back saying 'No really, i am normal'...

Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 12:56 PM   #36
Rakeesh

Quote:
Is there a logical reason for saying "we don't want you to have wireless sync, although the software to have it exists, we just don't want you to have it."?