Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-12, 11:01 AM   #1
nemecb

Default Grr, Logitech

Warning: Potential Rant Ahead

I've owned a number of Logitech mice over the years, and for the most part I've liked them. They're generally pretty ergonomic and well-built, but the last two or three have had one nearly fatal flaw: stupid sensor positions.

For example, take my new mouse. Look at the picture of the bottom of the mouse and consider where the sensor is. Way off center about as far right as it can get (when the mouse is sitting as it would in use). Why? For years mice have had the ball or sensor in the very middle of the mouse and moving it to the edge makes some very weird things happen if you rotate the mouse at all while you're moving it (which I frequently do). I tolerate it at work because having a wireless mouse is worth it, but it's the reason I'm still using my wired Razer Diamondback at home. I'd love to get a Razer Mamba which has the sensor in the correct position and is wireless, but I can't find them locally and before I spend $120+ on a mouse I want to know that it's going to fit my hand perfectly.

It's just frustrating because otherwise I love my new mouse. The weighted wheel feels great, although I still don't understand how people use those mice without clicky wheels. This one can either click or not, but I find that turning off the clicks makes it really touchy and annoying. I suppose if you want to scroll through a 100 page document in 2 seconds it would be nice, but there are easier ways to do that.

The ergonomics are great and it even has a button integrated into the left side that's pretty slick. If the damn sensor were just in the right place it might even be my perfect mouse. But it's not, so it's not.

There, I feel better now.
nemecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 11:12 AM   #2
Cylphid

Default Re: Grr, Logitech

I wonder if your mouse is defective in some way. My 510 has the sensor in the same place and I have zero issues.

Maybe try scooting your chair a little to the left.......
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:26 PM   #3
nemecb

This is my third or fourth mouse like this, so I doubt they've all been defective.

I understand why it happens, I just don't like it. I keep thinking I'll get used to it, but it's been six or seven years since I first got a mouse like this and I still haven't.
Old 04-23-12, 01:52 PM   #4
Logical

I have used a G500, G9 and a G9X over the past say 5-6 years in both everyday use, gaming and even E-sports and have had 0 issues with the performance of any of the mice. The G9X is still imo one of the best mice around only bettered slightly by the Roccat Kove in some ways. Also i might add that the support from logitech is unrivalled, from submitting an RMA for my last mouse (the skin on the case of the mouse was peeling) to recieving the new part was less than a week.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 01:55 PM   #5
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb View Post
This is my third or fourth mouse like this, so I doubt they've all been defective.

I understand why it happens, I just don't like it. I keep thinking I'll get used to it, but it's been six or seven years since I first got a mouse like this and I still haven't.
My reply was meant to be light hearted.....

I've been very fortunate with all the Logitech mice I've owned, maybe 5-6, the MS mice as well have been good to me - dunno, hope you find one that works for you.
Old 04-23-12, 02:31 PM   #6
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
My reply was meant to be light hearted.....

I've been very fortunate with all the Logitech mice I've owned, maybe 5-6, the MS mice as well have been good to me - dunno, hope you find one that works for you.
Yeah, I know. That's why the .

I realize that my complaints are based on my mousing style, but I just don't understand why they did it in the first place. Was someone clamoring for an off-center sensor? In the best case people don't notice it, in the worst case people like me are annoyed by it.
Old 04-23-12, 03:58 PM   #7
Yaboze

I only use wired Mice, but I bought a G500 the day Windows 7 came out in 2009 and it's still going strong.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 04:53 PM   #8
Redeemed

Only ever buy relatively cheap Microsoft keyboards and mice. In fact the mouse I'm presently using is an old Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (according to the label on the bottom) that I bought back in the 1800s. Paint is wearing off but it's still going strong. Don't think I paid more than $30 including tax.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-12, 05:13 PM   #9
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Only ever buy relatively cheap Microsoft keyboards and mice. In fact the mouse I'm presently using is an old Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 (according to the label on the bottom) that I bought back in the 1800s. Paint is wearing off but it's still going strong. Don't think I paid more than $30 including tax.
Yeah, I would imagine it's a bit thin
Old 04-23-12, 06:43 PM   #10
nemecb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
Yeah, I would imagine it's a bit thin

I actually still have the first mouse I ever bought myself - a first-gen Logitech wireless optical. Loved that mouse, but no side buttons was kind of a deal breaker for me. I still pull it out as a loaner for LAN parties once in a while though.