Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-12, 10:15 PM   #1
Bman212121

Default Windows Defender + McAfee + AVG =

One big cluster of fail!

Working on a laptop someone wants me to fix... Probably going 10 minutes now on the hdd... On top of 3 avs installed (Not sure if any of them are actually up to date) it's running Vista home premium on 1GB of ram. Ouch is all I have to say. Mind you since it's a laptop with shared graphics I'm seeing 900MB of usable ram, and about 75 open processes. It's honestly a wonder how they ever even did anything on this laptop.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 02:48 AM   #2
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Windows Defender + McAfee + AVG =

LOL

Ah, I remember working as a PC tech back in the day. You sometimes just want to confiscate the PC. Of course once you fix it they often complain and the time and cost. Even when they are family and you're doing it for free. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 08:59 AM   #3
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
LOL

Ah, I remember working as a PC tech back in the day. You sometimes just want to confiscate the PC. Of course once you fix it they often complain and the time and cost. Even when they are family and you're doing it for free. ::
This. There are just some people in the world that needs to steer clear of computers and technology all together.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 09:54 AM   #4
ViN86

I can't believe they ever thought Vista would run well on 1GB of RAM. My mom got an e-machines PC a few years ago and they shipped it with 1GB of RAM and Vista. What a boat anchor. It finally picked up a little bit when we added another gig.

Vista was a terrible OS for the masses. Personally I always ran 4GB+ so I never really had issues (after SP1, remember how slow file copying/moving was before? LOLz). But what a resource hog that OS was.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-12, 11:27 AM   #5
Bman212121

I'm basically going to tell them they have to spend $50 on memory to get it up to 4GB. The actual install is still pretty clean on the pc, so once I got those off and turned off system restore, superfetch, readyboost, and windows search most of the disk thrashing stopped. It actually has a few MB free now after it settles in.

It is crazy that they shipped these things with 1GB of ram. I can understand them trying to hit a price point, but I was told they have never liked this laptop. They even asked me if Toshiba was a good brand because this laptop has been really poor. That's something that manufacturers need to take into consideration when putting out their products. You're going to lose sales if you put out a poor product, so even though the price point is cheap enough now in the long run people aren't going to be returning customers if they had a bad experience.

@Crainger: Thankfully most of my family isn't that way. This is for a friend and I told them to just buy me lunch one day but they said they were going to do even a bit more than that. The nice thing is I can just say you need memory and they will get it. What's really bad is when you are trying to make something work that just won't because they won't want to spend any money to fix it or it's too slow for what they are trying to do.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 09:00 PM   #6
Rakeesh

When people hand me computers like that, I usually insist upon formatting the damn thing. It takes long enough just to get their important files off, nevermind trying to remove sh*t one by one, only to still not have the problem fully resolved when you're done.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 02:26 AM   #7
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-12, 01:58 PM   #8
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

defender takes resources? looks like they just forgot to uninstall mcafee when their base subscription ran out, and installed a free program. An honest mistake I can see happening, atleast they cared about an up to date AV program.