Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-12, 06:30 AM   #1
kettlehell

Default You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver.

This post is the culmination of 48 hours of intense Googling, Foruming, Cursing, Head Scratching and Sorrow. ANY assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Got a new box today, and new 12.04 LTS ISO. While trying to make the magic happen with a clean install and a fresh pair of 24 inch monitors and a lenovo docking station ( I confirmed that dual head is supported, one VGA, one DVI), I hit a nVidia debacle that is stumping me. My system configuration is at the bottom.--

I place the laptop in the docking station and I am able to get one monitor up. Here is what I tried (after locking myself out of X, and having to do another fresh install):

0. sudo nvidia-settings. [this gave me the following message:You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.]

2. run nvidia-xconfig. [this failed hard on restart, left me with a 400-600 screen]

1. download linux driver for appropriate nVidia card [confirmed it is already installed]
3. curse
4. revert to my backed up xorg.conf [things are back to where I started]
5. Removed nouveau drivers for X.

per http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=88900
6. Enabled OPTIMUS for nVidia at the BIOS level (scary stuff)
7. sudo nvidia-xconfig
8. gksudo nvidia-settings [when I boot using the nvidia xorg.conf now, things look better than step 2]

After step 8, I still get the "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

--
Lenovo Thinkpad 420s
Processor: Intel Core i7-2640M Processor (2.80GHz, 4M Cache with Turbo Boost up to 3.50GHz)
Display type 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
System graphics NVIDIA Quadro NVS4200M Optimus technology (1GB)
Total memory 8 GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
Hard drive 500GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
Dock: Lenovo Mini-dock 3 Series
kettlehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-12, 01:58 PM   #2
LLStarks

Default Re: You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver.

If Optimus is enabled, you have to use Bumblebee. If you set Nvidia-only in the BIOS, the driver will work normally.
LLStarks is offline   Reply With Quote