Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-28-12, 08:58 PM   #1
mojoman0

Default How do you install an HD into a tray???

I'm having a hell of a time putting a seagate drive into a removable cooler master tray with rubber vibration dampeners. The metal plug in the dampener seems to only snap in where the screw would go a little bit. Is this normal? It doesn't make it far into the threads in the hd so when I try to get all 4 pegs in, they start slipping out of the rubber dampener. Am I missing something? HELP

This is what the tray looks like

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/3-5-hdd-tray-oem-package/
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 10:33 PM   #2
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: How do you install an HD into a tray???

LOL seriously? Assemble the tray like it looks in your pic... Clip it around the hard drive... done...
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-12, 10:41 PM   #3
mojoman0

its so rigid and tight that the rubber slips off of the metal inserts. Im wondering if the pegs are too large in diameter or something
Old 04-28-12, 10:45 PM   #4
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
its so rigid and tight that the rubber slips off of the metal inserts. Im wondering if the pegs are too large in diameter or something
Huh? You put the rubber around the metal pegs... Put the pegs in the tray and slide them into their locking position, then just flex the tray around the drive.
Old 04-28-12, 11:15 PM   #5
mojoman0

yea when i flex the tray around the the drive the pegs push into the side of the hard drive and end up pushing themselves out of the rubber. are the pegs supposed to fit all the way into the threading or just snap in a tiny bit?
Old 04-28-12, 11:16 PM   #6
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
yea when i flex the tray around the the drive the pegs push into the side of the hard drive and end up pushing themselves out of the rubber
Are you lining them up with the screw holes?
Old 04-28-12, 11:20 PM   #7
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Are you lining them up with the screw holes?
yea but the holes are in the middle of the drive and its tight so they have to slide over the hard drive first which pushes them out of the rubber. it looks easy but its being a little bitch. Im wondering if the drive is wider than normal or if the pegs are too big for the threading. Ive never had an hd tray so i cant say from experience
Old 04-28-12, 11:29 PM   #8
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
yea but the holes are in the middle of the drive and its tight so they have to slide over the hard drive first which pushes them out of the rubber. it looks easy but its being a little bitch. Im wondering if the drive is wider than normal or if the pegs are too big for the threading. Ive never had an hd tray so i cant say from experience
Heh, Never had a problem with mine and I have the same ones in my case.

Did you see if the pegs fit in the holes?

It's literally this easy... http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...lsgp07VI#t=88s

Old 04-28-12, 11:31 PM   #9
mojoman0

the pegs hardly fit in the holes. Just the tips of them snap a tiny bit in if i push really hard. its a brand new 1tb seagate 64mb. wow yea after watching that vid its nowhere near as easy as that.
Old 04-29-12, 09:59 AM   #10
Cylphid

Quote:
the pegs hardly fit in the holes. Just the tips of them snap a tiny bit in if i push really hard. its a brand new 1tb seagate 64mb. wow yea after watching that vid its nowhere near as easy as that.
So the metal pegs do not just slide right in? It's possible the threads on the drive aren't machined cleanly. Try driving a screw into each hole, then try the pegs again. If the screw is super tight then the hole has burrs on the threads.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 11:09 AM   #11
Yaboze

Try rotating the drive, front to back or upside down. I had a tray that forced me to mount the drive upside down once, it wouldn't line up any other way.

The tray was in a work PC, a Dell, of all things.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-12, 12:24 PM   #12
mojoman0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
So the metal pegs do not just slide right in? It's possible the threads on the drive aren't machined cleanly. Try driving a screw into each hole, then try the pegs again. If the screw is super tight then the hole has burrs on the threads.
yea the pegs dont fit into the threads at all. they just snap like half a mm in if i push hard. This must be why its so tight. I spent about an hour and got the drive in with most of the rubber still around the pegs..i wonder if seagate changed screw diameter