Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-12, 03:34 PM   #13
frenchy2k1

Default Re: Port forwarding with a virgin super hub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
What you're describing isn't a hub, it's a combination of a router, switch, and cable modem, there's no hub anywhere in it. Like I said earlier, calling that a hub is like calling a car a horse buggy.

Nobody makes hubs anymore. That would be like saying some company out there still makes 486 CPU's.
You are both correct. You are just referring to different definitions of the same word.
A hub in networking technology is a device that will broadcast on all other ports whatever is received on one. A router will only send the signal to the correct out port.
What is referred here is NOT network terminology (although it is applied to networking equipment, hence the confusion). Virgin calls this a "super hub" as a reference to it being your hub (or central point) for all your entertainment/media. It is the same word, but very different application.
See this link: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hub
Rakeesh refers to the "World English Dictionary" definition 3 and Virgin to the main definition 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I really don't think that's going to work. What you're doing there is telling the outside interface of your gateway that if it receives incoming traffic on those ports, then it should forward them to the internal address of 192.168.0.2. Unless you have a device configured on your network (e.g. computer, server, whatever) with that IP address, that really isn't going to do anything.

Try firebind.com it has tests that will tell you if your outbound ports are being blocked.

If that is working, then there is some other problem. I passed that test and my network is configured to block all incoming ports (read: there is no port forwarding.) It also blocks all incoming ICMP as well. Basically if anybody does any probing at my network from the outside, they can't even tell that my network even exists.

But because games don't rely on incoming ports (unless you're running servers, which I don't) this doesn't break anything.
Some games run P2P servers (ie: one of the participants acts as the server). This is still very common for small multiplayer games. Especially if latency is not important (as in Worm's case).

ATOJAR, You had the correct link for port configuration, but you were looking at the wrong lines. The lines you want are:
Quote:
Your network must be configured to allow Steam access to the following ports (in order from highest to lowest priority for QoS users):
Steam Client

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

Dedicated or Listen Servers

TCP 27015 (SRCDS Rcon port)
Make sure your PC is set to FIXED IP, otherwise you will get a different address everytime you will reboot it and your settings will have to be changes each reboot. Then do again what you did: custom rules for the given ports, either UDP or TCP, as indicated, redirecting to your PC.