Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-02, 03:59 AM   #25
VeritechK7
Just lurking

Send a message via ICQ to VeritechK7 Send a message via AIM to VeritechK7 Send a message via Yahoo to VeritechK7

don't confuse the page file as the swap

"When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming"- Bruce Lee
VeritechK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 06:21 AM   #26
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Dudes, M$ have optimised XP for large amounts of ram. Once I get rid of 1 stick of it and have 512MB of ram the speed is dislikable :/ (I don't mean falls drastically, I mean I dislike the speed)

I stick with 768MB or more under XP
if by optimize you mean bloat i would say that MS let XP "support" large amounts of ram.

BTW, excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between the page file and the swap file? i might have known the difference before, but it escapes my memory
Old 10-06-02, 11:51 PM   #27
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

I wish XP would bloat up a little lolz. On average with no tweaks 50MB of my ram is eaten up. After some serious tweaking around 38-46MB (46MB being worst amount taken up).
Also depends on amount of crud you install.

Bloated? I think not. My friend has 98 and that eats up 64MB of his ram. 98 on my system leaks the lot ROTFLMAO!!!

I can't run games under 98 with decent speeds. :/

XP is no problem for me. I love XP.
Anyway what I'm trying to say that XP uses my memory most efficiently and games love that and it does effect performance all round no matter if I am gaming or not.

Copy paste the lot from webopedia (best explanation)
A technique used by virtual memory operating systems to help ensure that the data you need is available as quickly as possible. The operating system copies a certain number of pages from your storage device to main memory. When a program needs a page that is not in main memory, the operating system copies the required page into memory and copies another page back to the disk. One says that the operating system pages the data. Each time a page is needed that is not currently in memory, a page fault occurs. An invalid page fault occurs when the address of the page being requested is invalid. In this case, the application is usually aborted.

This type of virtual memory is called paged virtual memory. Another form of virtual memory is segmented virtual memory.

Swapping is often called paging.

Last edited by Kruno; 10-06-02 at 11:55 PM.
Kruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-02, 11:52 PM   #28
VeritechK7
Just lurking

Send a message via ICQ to VeritechK7 Send a message via AIM to VeritechK7 Send a message via Yahoo to VeritechK7

couldn't have said it better bud

Old 10-07-02, 04:01 AM   #29
Renzo
The Terminator

Quote:

Bloated? I think not. My friend has 98 and that eats up 64MB of his ram. 98 on my system leaks the lot ROTFLMAO!!!
The thing is, both Win9x and Win2k/XP try to use all the available ram as a disk cache (which they can free if something requires more memory than there's free). The only difference is that Win2k/XP's taskmanager doesn't report it as used memory like Win9x does.

BTW this is one of the reasons why on Win9x systems swapfile should be static. By default the paging is not conservative (conservativeswapfileusage=0) and this causes massive swapping if there is no free memory because everything is used on filecache. Static swap will fix that problem OR setting the paging conservative.
Old 10-07-02, 04:58 AM   #30
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Dude, you don't have to use task manager. You can use cacheman and it will report the true values.

Quote:
Originally posted by Renzo

The thing is, both Win9x and Win2k/XP try to use all the available ram as a disk cache (which they can free if something requires more memory than there's free). The only difference is that Win2k/XP's taskmanager doesn't report it as used memory like Win9x does.

BTW this is one of the reasons why on Win9x systems swapfile should be static. By default the paging is not conservative (conservativeswapfileusage=0) and this causes massive swapping if there is no free memory because everything is used on filecache. Static swap will fix that problem OR setting the paging conservative.
Old 10-07-02, 06:48 AM   #31
Renzo
The Terminator

I'd rather use taskinfo for checking the memory/cache amounts

Cacheman is kinda useless, I rather change settings directly from registry or from .inis , this way I know exactly what I have done and I don't have to search for help on different places if something doesn't anymore like it's supposed to.
Old 10-07-02, 06:51 AM   #32
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

I'm talking about viewing stats. I also rather tweak through the registry. There are billion of other programs you can use to view V. mem stats. I have used god knows how many.

Old 10-07-02, 07:12 AM   #33
volt

I dont see a point going over 512, unless you really have some RAM hungry applications. I haven't seen any difference when I put over 512 of RAM. It never used more than 1/3 of it, even with apps such as Photoshop, Adobe Premiere or 3D Max.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-02, 08:30 AM   #34
VeritechK7
Just lurking

well that maybe true ..but you never know when some poorly written app some day takes over your comp in some old quirky fashion :P