Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-08-12, 05:30 PM   #1
Ruinairas

Default EA gains Linux Attention. Better Quality Drivers Please!

It looks like Linux is finally getting more mainstream now. I have purchased myself a nvidia geforce 550 ti for just this reason. I've noticed I get better performance on Windows than on Linux, I believe this is due to the quality of drivers. Once Crysis 3 comes out (and hopefully later on for Linux too) I want to be ready, wether I play on low settings with the 550, or if I were to upgrade to the 600 series on ultra. I prefer Ubuntu linux over Windows any day. I'm not a fanboy either, I just like the feel and progress it has, Windows feels sloppy to me.
Ruinairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 07:48 PM   #2
artem

Default Re: EA gains Linux Attention. Better Quality Drivers Please!

Games on Linux: it's still a wishful thinking, forget about that. EA is just re-releasing two web browser based games proclaiming they now run on Linux. Really? It looks like a very bad joke.

Drivers quality: OpenGL performance on Linux and Windows is more or less the same, I don't know what you are talking about. NVIDIA said Windows and Linux drivers share up to 90% of code (since their OpenGL parts are more or less the same).
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 10:58 PM   #3
Ruinairas

You would have to be blind to not see what EA is doing, they are testing to see if Linux is a eligible platform worth putting money into. There is no way of knowing how many people use Linux, but with a web installer from the Ubuntu Software Center. They will kinda have a idea of how many people are there to install such games. They don't want to publish a mainstream game like Battlefield 3 without first observing if there is a market that is truly interested.

as for quality between windows and linux I have yet to see the same performance. Even with native games that are available on both Linux and Windows. Windows won in every category in average FPS on the same machine setup. With the latest drivers installed.

I've tested with:

Nvidia Geforce 8400gs 512 DDR3 (Older graphics card thinking that maybe it had time to mature)

Nvidia Geforce 550 ti (Gigabyte) 1GB GDDR5 192 Cuda cores

and a Nvidia Geforce 460..

all of which performed way better on Windows.

Although Nvidia is hella better than AMD when it comes to drivers. I give them props for that!
Ruinairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 02:51 AM   #4
leigh123linux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinairas View Post
You would have to be blind to not see what EA is doing, they are testing to see if Linux is a eligible platform worth putting money into. There is no way of knowing how many people use Linux, but with a web installer from the Ubuntu Software Center. They will kinda have a idea of how many people are there to install such games. They don't want to publish a mainstream game like Battlefield 3 without first observing if there is a market that is truly interested.

as for quality between windows and linux I have yet to see the same performance. Even with native games that are available on both Linux and Windows. Windows won in every category in average FPS on the same machine setup. With the latest drivers installed.

I've tested with:

Nvidia Geforce 8400gs 512 DDR3 (Older graphics card thinking that maybe it had time to mature)

Nvidia Geforce 550 ti (Gigabyte) 1GB GDDR5 192 Cuda cores

and a Nvidia Geforce 460..

all of which performed way better on Windows.

Although Nvidia is hella better than AMD when it comes to drivers. I give them props for that!
You should do some proper benchmarking.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=140387
Old 05-09-12, 02:12 PM   #5
johnc

What version of Ubuntu are you using?
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote