Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-12, 07:32 PM   #145
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Road side hookers plan to start offering NFC when the iPhone 5 is released.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 07:41 PM   #146
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,871
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I'm not so sure how I feel about the whole nfc thing. Just seems like an easy way to get your money stolen.
It's far more secure from theft than a debit card, a credit card, and certainly cash.

First, they have to have your phone. Then they have to be able to unlock it (defeat the face recognition our the unlock pattern.) Then they have to guess your pin.

Unlike debit/credit, replay attacks are useless against nfc (with a replay attack, physically possessing a card is unnecessary - with NFC you MUST have the phone.) In addition, they do not have direct access to any of your accounts.

There's no question that NFC is harder to get your money stolen with, not easier.

Sent from my Galaxy "better than betterdan's iphone" Nexus using Tapatalk
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 08:37 PM   #147
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
It's far more secure from theft than a debit card, a credit card, and certainly cash.

First, they have to have your phone. Then they have to be able to unlock it (defeat the face recognition our the unlock pattern.) Then they have to guess your pin.

Unlike debit/credit, replay attacks are useless against nfc (with a replay attack, physically possessing a card is unnecessary - with NFC you MUST have the phone.) In addition, they do not have direct access to any of your accounts.

There's no question that NFC is harder to get your money stolen with, not easier.

Sent from my Galaxy "better than betterdan's iphone" Nexus using Tapatalk
Wasn't aware, makes me feel better about it. I still don't see me not having a debit card with me. Guess I just don't use my phone enough to care.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 10:36 PM   #148
Hogrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Nor do I care.
Like I said earlier, as soon as I find a need to have to use my phone to pay for something I'll start caring. I'll leave the running around and buying Dr. Peppers out of vending machines with your phone to you Rakeesh since you are better at that
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 11:03 PM   #149
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I'll care when Apple tells me to care.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-12, 11:47 PM   #150
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,871
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogrider View Post
Nor do I care.
You will once apple adds it.

This has all happened before, and it will all happen again.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 01:13 AM   #151
crainger
 
crainger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Coffs Harbour, NSW, Australia
Posts: 29,559
Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Android users didn't care about phones or music until Apple added phones to their iPods.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 05:51 AM   #152
Hogrider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

If it becomes a neccessity to use my phone to pay for a Dr. Pepper and Apple tells me I have to start drinking sodas or they will execute me in my sleep then yes I will care when Apple adds it.

Just so it makes you feel a little better, my iphone can do all kinds of things that I don't care about either.
  Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-12, 10:49 AM   #153
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

You guys still at it ?? LMAO
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 12:54 PM   #154
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,871
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Trolling? That's what you were after.

The only thing I got out of your post is that you're the kinda person that prefers saving as little as $40 just to have the less elegant solution or product. I find that funny. To each their own.
Actually I paid half of the price of an iphone 4s, (not including the $50 in spending money google gave me, which effectively lowers the price even further) for a phone that has a vastly superior screen, can actually multitask (something that even 30 year old OS'es can do, yet iOS can't,) has far superior internal hardware (33% faster CPU, twice as much ram) and longer battery life, with the option of adding even more battery life.

Oh and speak of battery, when it eventually loses the ability to hold its charge (as all batteries do) I can actually replace the thing myself instead of paying apple $90 to do so.

Why you iphone guys pay twice as much for half the phone is a bit strange to me, but whatever
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 01:12 PM   #155
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Why you iphone guys pay twice as much for half the phone is a bit strange to me, but whatever
BECAUSE IT JUST WORKS DON'T YOU KNOW THAT?!
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 02:44 PM   #156
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
Actually I paid half of the price of an iphone 4s, (not including the $50 in spending money google gave me, which effectively lowers the price even further) for a phone that has a vastly superior screen, can actually multitask (something that even 30 year old OS'es can do, yet iOS can't,) has far superior internal hardware (33% faster CPU, twice as much ram) and longer battery life, with the option of adding even more battery life.

Oh and speak of battery, when it eventually loses the ability to hold its charge (as all batteries do) I can actually replace the thing myself instead of paying apple $90 to do so.

Why you iphone guys pay twice as much for half the phone is a bit strange to me, but whatever
Yes the SoC is just amazing. It absolutely trounces the A5:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43400.png

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43402.png

That battery performance is just so much better as well!

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5310/43385.png
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.