Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-04, 01:25 PM   #1
quartz

Default nvnet - Can ping and resolve, no web no ftp no telnet

I'm at my wits end here...

I'm having some trouble getting my nForce ethernet adapter to work. When I try the same configuration with another network card in the same machine, all works OK, so I've got to be doing something wrong that's specific to the nForce chip.

I've compiled the tar file version of the nvidia drivers against 2.4.23, and installed them. I've also tried the open-source "forcedeth" driver, but it seems to have the same problem.

I insmod nvnet, run ifconfig to assign a static IP, and assign routes etc...

I can ping other hosts on my local network, and I can resolve domain names (if I do a "host microsoft.com" it works), but I can't telnet to machines on the local network, I can't FTP anywhere, and I can't get web access to work. If I do an ifconfig, I see no packets dropped on eth0.

If I try a telnet and then do a netstat, I see that the telnet is in the state "SYN_SENT", and it seems to just sit there for a long time before eventually timing out. If I do "ifconfig" while it's in this state, I see the tx and rx packet counts both going up.

If I plug in an old NE2K-PCI based card, and change my modules.conf so that eth0 is the ne2k-pci card, everything works fine, with no other changes. Exactly the same configuration.

One thing I did notice is that when I try to use nvnet, ifconfig shows the interface as "UP" but not as "RUNNING", which I thought a bit strange. I don't know if this could be related or not...

Any suggestions are appreciated.
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-04, 03:16 PM   #2
dnoyeB

You can only ping on your local network? What about pinging yahoo.com or the IP address for yahoo.com? What about pinging a server at your ISP?

do you have a firewall? Perhaps its blocking you based on your network card MAC address? or perhaps your ISP is blocking that MAC address?
Old 01-07-04, 06:52 AM   #3
quartz

No, I could ping outside the network...

In the end I figured it out. The MAC assigned to every other network card in my house was in the 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx range, whereas my nForce card was in the BA:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx range. I'm guessing my ethernet switch doesn't like big MAC addesses, because when I changed to something lower, everything started working fine.

I'm guessing the reason I could ping and resolve DNS is because these are both connectionless protocols (ping over ICMP, and DNS over UDP). Interestingly, when I tried installing Windows XP, neither ping nor DNS would work.

All very strange. But at least it works now. :P
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote