|04-30-12, 03:28 AM||#1|
Join Date: Apr 2012
Black screen after switching between graphical virtual consoles five times
Using Arch Linux, KDE, nvidia 295.40-2, and xorg-server 1.12.1-1 on a system with a GTS540, I am experiencing an issue which leads to loss of screen, keyboard and mouse when switching virtual terminals. The machine can still be reached over the network and rebooted. The follow steps consistently reproduce the error on my system:
1) Login to a GUI session as user1 (tty7)
2) Using KDE's menu, switch users and start a GUI session as user2 (tty8)
3) Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to user1's session (and enter the password, because the screen has locked)
4) Press Ctrl+Alt+F8 to return to user2's session
5) Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to user1's session
6) Press Ctrl+Alt+F8 ... and watch the screen go black, never to return.
7) Try all virtual consoles, and see nothing.
8) Login to a machine on the network, connect, and shutdown the offending machine.
9) Watch the display be restored once X is shutdown ...
All thoughts are welcome. I've been dealing with this for a couple weeks now, and have no more ideas! Thanks.
|05-21-12, 05:40 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jul 2011
Re: Black screen after switching between graphical virtual consoles five times
So this may not work, and might be stupid, but I ran into something sort of similar. Maybe it will help you, maybe it will just drive you mad...
Please let me know if it helps you.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|First monitor is black when going to virtual console, when using twinView||zeBarbu||NVIDIA Linux||2||09-07-03 10:35 PM|
|ctrl-alt-f1..f6 virtual consoles||undome||NVIDIA Linux||1||09-30-02 01:24 PM|
|Black screen and lockup on startx.||redmoose||NVIDIA Linux||4||09-18-02 12:53 PM|
|kernel 2.4.19 and 2960 -> black screen||osterhase||NVIDIA Linux||7||08-22-02 07:24 PM|