Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-26-06, 02:53 AM   #1
Manthis

Default [Ubuntu] nVidia driver 1.0.8762 and black screen

Hi,

I've just installed the latest nVidia driver available on the Ubuntu distribution (1.0.8762) and I get something really strange when I boot my computer:

I have the ubuntu splash and then the X server is normally launched. But after that, all what I get is a black screen. Then, when I type CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to kill the X server, I first see - during one second - the console prompt to login which is not at the good spot on the screen - centered in the middle - then, everything works fine, the nVidia logo appears and the login screen too.

The problem is just that I need to kill the X server every time I boot and sorry but it sucks, that's something I really don't understand, could someone help me?

I've a Geforce 2Go on a Packard Bell Ipower 7000 series running under Ubuntu Dapper.

Thanks
Manthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 03:02 AM   #2
joerg.sigle

Default Re: [Ubuntu] nVidia driver 1.0.8762 and black screen -similar here any drvr othr GPU?

Hi, Manthis.

I've a similar problem - was about to open a new thread, but first I'll wait whether any response may come here. Here's my description:

Setup: one or two ASUS 7600GT PCI-E in P5N-SLI Deluxe board.
Drivers: Linux 8762 and many drivers before, XFree86 or X11 *or*
Windows 2000 and all recent drivers there as well.

In Linux, most often, system boot up to X11 ends in black screen, but system is running, and monitor says it synced in target resolution. Very often, switching from virtual text console to graph screen does the same. In Linux, I can get display by either using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X11 and restart it, or by switching to/from text console multiple times.

In Windows, system boot often ends in black screen when hires graphic login screen should appear. Though the system runs well, behind the black screen here too, as there's no such convenient switch to text and back, most often I need to reboot until I finally get a *visible* screen. Only alternative worked sometimes was standby->restore.

Motherboard has newest BIOS (same behaviour with 2 BIOS generations before). No error messages in log files - everything as if all would work normal, only a bit of visible colour missing from display.

The problem occurs in about 4 of 5 graphic display activations (i.e., I need 1 (rare) to maybe 4 (often) to maybe 10 (rare) tries before the display is visible. Then, it stays stable until the next text screen and back - which is extremely annoying in Windows (no reliable method of initializing graphics display without reboot).

Nvidia, when asked directly, couldn't provide any insight, and Asus said, they wouldn't know about such a problem. Asus also say they don't have newer GPU Bios, although I saw one newer 7600 GT BIOS in the WWW (not tested yet).

Manthis, does it happen to you only on the 8762 driver? And only in Linux? Then it's definitely not the same...

Greetings, Joerg
joerg.sigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 05:35 AM   #3
Manthis

Default Re: [Ubuntu] nVidia driver 1.0.8762 and black screen

Luckily I found the answer to fix this problem. Here is this solution:

1. Write this line in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia file (this line has to be on a single line):

Code:
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=33 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660 NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1
2. Then add this option to the device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
Reboot, and everything should be alright...

Regards
Manthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 01:25 PM   #4
Sour Lemon

Default Re: black screen on running system on both Linux and Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerg.sigle
Hi, Manthis.

I've a similar problem - was about to open a new thread, but first I'll wait whether any response may come here. Here's my description:

Setup: one or two ASUS 7600GT PCI-E in P5N-SLI Deluxe board.
Drivers: Linux 8762 and many drivers before, XFree86 or X11 *or*
Windows 2000 and all recent drivers there as well.
Exact same problem with 7800GS AGP, ASUS A7V8X.

Quote:
In Linux, most often, system boot up to X11 ends in black screen, but system is running, and monitor says it synced in target resolution. Very often, switching from virtual text console to graph screen does the same. In Linux, I can get display by either using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X11 and restart it, or by switching to/from text console multiple times.
Switching display resolutions with Ctrl-Alt-+ will also eventually get a viewable display.

Quote:
In Windows, system boot often ends in black screen when hires graphic login screen should appear. Though the system runs well, behind the black screen here too, as there's no such convenient switch to text and back, most often I need to reboot until I finally get a *visible* screen.
Yep. Even more irritating.

Quote:
Motherboard has newest BIOS (same behaviour with 2 BIOS generations before). No error messages in log files - everything as if all would work normal, only a bit of visible colour missing from display.

The problem occurs in about 4 of 5 graphic display activations (i.e., I need 1 (rare) to maybe 4 (often) to maybe 10 (rare) tries before the display is visible. Then, it stays stable until the next text screen and back - which is extremely annoying in Windows (no reliable method of initializing graphics display without reboot).
I also see a corrupted/unreadable text console before my grub menu, but it clears up once the kernel starts booting. Of course this makes it impossible to debug grub problems because any error messages are garbled.

-sl
Sour Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-08, 07:16 PM   #5
andy80

Default Re: [Ubuntu] nVidia driver 1.0.8762 and black screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manthis View Post
Luckily I found the answer to fix this problem. Here is this solution:

1. Write this line in /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia file (this line has to be on a single line):

Code:
options nvidia NVreg_DeviceFileUID=0 NVreg_DeviceFileGID=33 NVreg_DeviceFileMode=0660 NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1
2. Then add this option to the device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

Code:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"
Reboot, and everything should be alright...

Regards
Hi,

I've tried your method, but no success
I've a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT and an Asus mother board P5N-E SLI.

I haven't had this problem on Windows yet, but I use it very rarely...

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
andy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 07:03 PM   #6
joerg.sigle

Default Re: Black screen, suboptimal display with all my newer nVidia cards and SGI 1600SW

Here I am again after a few years.

In the meantime, I think that the display problems with the SGI 1600SW multilink adapter, and nVidia cards are due to some hardware incompatibililty along the DVI connection.

The older cards (GeForce GTS2, GeForce MX440) would show somewhat garbled displays in text mode, similar to what you would get on old CRT screens by mis-adjusting the H.POS potentiometer, until portions of the screen content would leave the display area on the left, and be "reflected", or appear mirrored, back into the display area from the left again. It would also appear as if upscaling to the full screen height would interleave black lines with those with actual content; and text and background colours could also be changed - depending upon actual screen content.

But these older cards would work perfectly - always - after the graphic driver for Windows or X11 (until X.Org ABI 10) started up.

Never cards, like the GeForce 8600 GT / 7600 GT? for which I originally reported the issue, would often produce *no visible display output* at all (i.e. a totally black display, though synced and backlights lit), and this both in text mode (after power on), or in graphics mode, with the suitable drivers.

In Linux, I could alleviate the problem by repeatedly switching between virtual text consoles and the X11 graphic display, until the image would finally appear. In Windows, it could often need many attempts to start the system, or (blindfoldedly) bring up a text cmd window, to full screen, and back to the graphic display, to get the same thing. And on both systems, changing the configuration, i.e. from a single screen to a twin view configuration, or resolutions, might result in a black screen (more often than not, actually).

The interesting thing is: This has not been problem of the 8600 GT / 7600 GT? card alone - but of all nvidia cards I have had ever since. Including this laptop here, which is a Quadro FX2500 or the like.

So I think that at some point in time, nVidia changed their DVI interface protocol (?) to become less suitable for the SGI multilink adapter, and they maintained the change ever since.

The problem does NOT occur on another younger DVI screen - I don't want to look up details on DVI to understand the problem any better; but I'd like if anyone from nVidia support could comment on the issue, and - maybe - design a better solution (regarding the use of older displays, or just the SGI multilink) for future adapters, if possible.

Yes, these things are old. But I have a few of them, they have better grayscale resolution than several more modern (cheaper) ones I own, and I just still like to use them. And, after all - the issue is a little engineering puzzle. I don't like it when things don't work which could.

Kind regards, Joerg
joerg.sigle is offline   Reply With Quote