Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Upgrade: Yay or nay...
Yes. 2 15.38%
No. 6 46.15%
Other (please explain) 5 38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-12, 03:38 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: Question...

How immoral would it be if I bought the processor, and then sold it? For less than retail of course.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 03:40 PM   #14
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
How immoral would it be if I bought the processor, and then sold it? For less than retail of course.
I will buy it from you for $90 shipped
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 03:44 PM   #15
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
I will buy it from you for $90 shipped
It's gonna' cost me over twice that.

Trade you that processor for your 5870.

Old 05-28-12, 04:13 PM   #16
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
It's called Business. It's what the USA is built on Redeemed. To say it's immoral is to shoot a deer slug into your very being.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 04:18 PM   #17
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
It's called Business. It's what the USA is built on Redeemed. To say it's immoral is to shoot a deer slug into your very being.

Yer' ahsum, brah.
Old 05-28-12, 04:33 PM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskods9 View Post
Yes and Yes...

I use both of these parts in my current rig
Well,

1 vote for the upgrade... hmm.

If I bought both it'd honestly be with the intent of selling the CPU. Or maybe holding onto it for a later build. I am honestly perfectly content with my present CPU and MOBO in regards to performance and features.
Old 05-28-12, 06:12 PM   #19
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siskods9 View Post
I went from an i7 975 Extreme to the 3930k. No comparison at all, more especially at those prices you quoted.
Well, apparently you have uses for your computer that pushed your 975 to its limits. I don't. I know it'd be considerably "faster", offer better "performance"... but likely not in any way I'd notice- or at least notice often.

Though you're right- at the price I can acquire it for the purchase because all that more tempting. If not to turn around and sell it for a slight profit then to hold onto for a later upgrade.

I'm pretty set on purchasing the SSD. Still haven't made up my mind regarding the CPU...
Old 06-14-12, 02:11 PM   #20
Redeemed

Decision just got more difficult. They put up this mobo for "free". Put free in quotes cause I don't have nearly the points available to get it. I'd have to spend a lot of time watching their videos, reading their articles and such, then taking quizes to earn the points to get the mobo.

But as it stands I could pickup the SSD, mobo, and CPU for about $400 shipped. Dangit...

Old 06-14-12, 02:46 PM   #21
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Usually I'd say "MSI - not even for free!" but since you now have access to the complete platform and RAM is really cheap already, I say go for it
I know what you mean.

However, I've developed the opinion that at least regarding the "big name brands" they'll all perform almost the same. I say almost for a reason- I wont be over clocking and I most certainly wont be stressing the system. As such I'd imagine my experience would be comparable be it MSI, ASUS, eVGA, etc. Now, if I got into over clocking or more demanding tasks that'd stress the system more... then I may see a difference. However if I'm under utilizing my present system, how much more would I be under utilizing a system with a 3930K?

I can also pickup the Corsair R400 case free. Thing is the "free" items in their "store" change every so often. Don't know how long they'll have each item up. It costs 150,000 "points" for that mobo and I've only got about 70,000. Got a ways to go. Case is only about 40,000 and the CPU and SSD cost actual money so I wont use any points by getting those.

Dunno- I'm thinking of picking up the CPU and SSD and just holding on to both. I'll rack up as many points as I can and see what they offer this winter. By then, if I stay on top of my "learning" I could easily have in the range of 200,000+ points. They usually offer some case, cooling solution, RAM or what not in their store so I can piece together a decent new build. Gonna' take some time but- free is free.
Old 06-14-12, 08:43 PM   #22
darkrider01
A little rough at first

I'm going to cast one more vote for CPU-no and SSD-yes. I have never had a pleasant experience with MSI mainboards. I had great experiences with their video cards, but their mainboards have never given me anything but problems - even with no overclocking.
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 08:53 PM   #23
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrider01 View Post
I'm going to cast one more vote for CPU-no and SSD-yes. I have never had a pleasant experience with MSI mainboards. I had great experiences with their video cards, but their mainboards have never given me anything but problems - even with no overclocking.
Really? That's a little depressing.

Thanks for the heads up. I've had some things come up this week that may prevent me from purchasing anything. However I'm remaining optimistic.

Anyhow, gonna' read some reviews on the MSI board, and try to read a bunch of user reviews as well to see just how many people have good luck with it and under what kind of conditions. If it's as much trouble as you're implying I wont even worry about it. Better deals will come. All it takes is patience.