Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-12, 11:50 AM   #1
News

Post What we're looking forward to seeing and playing at E3

Aurich Lawson

Ars at E3

The scale of a show like next week's Electronic Entertainment Expo is such that it's impossible to see absolutely everything on display. Even if you eliminate the obvious licensed shovelware and copycat mobile games and the like, there's still way more being shown than any one person can effectively take in during a two-and-a-half day span. With that in mind, I've already begun narrowing down the list of items I'm most excited to see and hear more about at this year's show. Here are some quick thoughts on just a few of the things I'm most looking forward to seeing next week.

Wii U

I was probably more impressed than most with my first experience with the Wii U at last year's E3. The short demos on hand did a good job of showing off the potential of the unorthodox tablet-controller-and-TV combo, from a game of hide-and-seek where the tablet provided a crucial overhead view to a rhythm game where the screen acted as an augmented reality shield of sorts. I was especially impressed with a Metroid-themed demo that combined the tablet controller's dual analog sticks and its tilt-sensitive viewpoint to create a seamless, intuitive 3D flight interface.

But none of the demos I saw last year came across as the kind of killer app that Nintendo is going to need to really sell gamers and the general public on the Wii U's odd concept. As elegant and inventive as the demos were, none of them had the head-smacking simplicity and instant appeal of a game like Wii Sports, or the essential mixture of old and new provided by Super Mario Galaxy. With the system expected to launch before the end of the year, I'll be looking out for evidence of that killer app that can really sell the Wii U to a skeptical public.

Read more | Comments

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote