Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-12, 08:29 PM   #25
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Windows 8 Release Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Metro simply does not belong on desktop, laptops, business, anyone that care about productivity, its fine on tablets and for people that like giant squares.

This OS should never be released on desktop PCs.
I agree with this as Metro is a *little* awkward using a KBM. HOWEVER, I have yet to fully test this out for personal and work use so I can't have a solid opinion.

But even if Metro is disable and you have a desktop like Win7, you still wouldn't use it? If not, then why?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 12:54 AM   #26
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I agree with this as Metro is a *little* awkward using a KBM. HOWEVER, I have yet to fully test this out for personal and work use so I can't have a solid opinion.

But even if Metro is disable and you have a desktop like Win7, you still wouldn't use it? If not, then why?
look two post up, MS marketing team will use the statistics as proof of windows 8 success. its better to skip it all together
Old 06-02-12, 01:24 AM   #27
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AthlonXP1800 View Post
No, Metro UI is still here.

It running much smoother better and faster than Consumer Preview.
Well, on mythbusters they proved that you can in fact polish a turd. But in the end it's still just a turd.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-12, 09:36 AM   #28
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
look two post up, MS marketing team will use the statistics as proof of windows 8 success. its better to skip it all together
But I don't understand. They will say it is more successful than Windows 7 regardless of people's opinions or sales numbers. I don't see why this matters at all.

Again, if you could disable Metro, Windows 8 is Windows 7 with improvements and performance upgrades. That's a win in my eyes.
Old 06-02-12, 06:34 PM   #29
Melfranks

Installed this immediately when released, fastest smoothest install of any Windows operating system ever.
Really like the UI changes, with the "flatter" look to it.
It's also just amazingly fast, in every respect.
I can't think of anything that I don't like, you get a fully functional desktop system with the added benefit of having access to the app store for any apps which might appeal to you.

Start menu? Rarely ever used the Start button and just as rarely use the Start menu, and the improvements in Windows 8 far outweigh any real or imagined issues with the new Start menu.
Personally I like it for the instant information for such things as weather and the stock market.
Kudos to Microsoft for breaking out of the monotony, and hopefully they will take it even further with Windows 9.
Melfranks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 12:44 PM   #30
Galvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
i think microsoft removed all code to get the start menu back in this release
They did but programs like vistart don't use any code from the OS to work. Also classic shell still works too.
Galvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-12, 09:48 PM   #31
six_storm

I'm re-downloading it tonight to do some testing this week.
Old 06-04-12, 10:47 AM   #32
LurkerLito

I hate Win8 and metro. It's the worst thing to come up in a PC ever IMHO. It's a money grab from MS to cash into the AppStore idea. Trying to make a consistent interface between devices that are so far apart in how they are used that it breaks it's desktop GUI into an inefficient pile of junk that will at best require hacks to bring it back to normal.

First thing is it is inconsistent. No surprise there since if the enforced metro everywhere almost all of all PC programs would fail since they aren't designed for it. So you get some horrible hybridization of the desktop PC. Some apps will act like metro (MS designed ones at least), others will be desktop based as usual.

Second MS refusing to let developers make metro apps unless you go through an approval process is the worst possible thing ever. This isn't like their approved for Windows labeling they have now, this is a complete "we control everything" Apple BS that I hate. You want to make a metro desktop app even if it's free, you have to go through MS cause you can't get it any other way but through the MS store. That's a load of crap for PC systems. No side loading is going to be allowed for Metro Apps so if you wrote your own Metro based app with the FREE VS Express 2012, you can't even give it away without possibly giving out the source and having them recompile it on their metro desktop. WTF? So now we have to jailbreak our PC Desktops for unapproved metro apps.

Third Metro is a tablet interface. Desktop users need a desktop interface, not a Tablet one. The whole Metro Experience is clunky at best. Start menu might not be used much but at least it's not full screen and does not get in the way. The hot corners approach blows and slows down the whole GUI. Hover over in the lower right corner a second to pop this little menu up. You know what I do in Win 7? I go press the start menu button and it pops up the instant I press the mouse button, and I can access all the options/shutdown/programs/run instantly. Metro is complete step backwards in terms of GUI efficiency. The neat little feature of updating the "boxes" in metro apps is almost completely useless to desktop users. I run several programs at a time all the time so I am always in one of them, I am sure this is not a minority behavior of windows users that does this. Why would you need those updating metro boxes when most users will never be at the metro screen 99% of the time? It's a nice feature on a tablet because you always go back to the main screen and stay there when not actively using an app, but on a desktop the only ones that would see those updating boxes will be the people who use the start menu all the time, even then who just sits there and watches the start menu? MS already claims a majority of users don't use the start menu, so they change it to full screen with updating icons and they think people will use it more?

They made some of the internals of Win8 better, but they slowed down all the UI stuff and made the desktop more inconsistent for all desktop users. Overall it's a step in the wrong direction. It's as if a coffee shop learned how to make coffee faster and more efficiently and the only problem is they can only give it to you in cups made of polished feces. Yeah I'd like to get the coffee faster with less waiting, but you know what, I am not drinking from a cup made of feces.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-12, 11:09 AM   #33
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
I hate Win8 and metro. It's the worst thing to come up in a PC ever IMHO. It's a money grab from MS to cash into the AppStore idea. Trying to make a consistent interface between devices that are so far apart in how they are used that it breaks it's desktop GUI into an inefficient pile of junk that will at best require hacks to bring it back to normal.

First thing is it is inconsistent. No surprise there since if the enforced metro everywhere almost all of all PC programs would fail since they aren't designed for it. So you get some horrible hybridization of the desktop PC. Some apps will act like metro (MS designed ones at least), others will be desktop based as usual.

Second MS refusing to let developers make metro apps unless you go through an approval process is the worst possible thing ever. This isn't like their approved for Windows labeling they have now, this is a complete "we control everything" Apple BS that I hate. You want to make a metro desktop app even if it's free, you have to go through MS cause you can't get it any other way but through the MS store. That's a load of crap for PC systems. No side loading is going to be allowed for Metro Apps so if you wrote your own Metro based app with the FREE VS Express 2012, you can't even give it away without possibly giving out the source and having them recompile it on their metro desktop. WTF? So now we have to jailbreak our PC Desktops for unapproved metro apps.

Third Metro is a tablet interface. Desktop users need a desktop interface, not a Tablet one. The whole Metro Experience is clunky at best. Start menu might not be used much but at least it's not full screen and does not get in the way. The hot corners approach blows and slows down the whole GUI. Hover over in the lower right corner a second to pop this little menu up. You know what I do in Win 7? I go press the start menu button and it pops up the instant I press the mouse button, and I can access all the options/shutdown/programs/run instantly. Metro is complete step backwards in terms of GUI efficiency. The neat little feature of updating the "boxes" in metro apps is almost completely useless to desktop users. I run several programs at a time all the time so I am always in one of them, I am sure this is not a minority behavior of windows users that does this. Why would you need those updating metro boxes when most users will never be at the metro screen 99% of the time? It's a nice feature on a tablet because you always go back to the main screen and stay there when not actively using an app, but on a desktop the only ones that would see those updating boxes will be the people who use the start menu all the time, even then who just sits there and watches the start menu? MS already claims a majority of users don't use the start menu, so they change it to full screen with updating icons and they think people will use it more?

They made some of the internals of Win8 better, but they slowed down all the UI stuff and made the desktop more inconsistent for all desktop users. Overall it's a step in the wrong direction. It's as if a coffee shop learned how to make coffee faster and more efficiently and the only problem is they can only give it to you in cups made of polished feces. Yeah I'd like to get the coffee faster with less waiting, but you know what, I am not drinking from a cup made of feces.
BFT
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 12:20 AM   #34
Zelda_fan

I will be putting a short on Microsoft's stock in the near future.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-12, 08:13 AM   #35
six_storm

I think it's absolutely hilarious that everyone hates Windows 8! I'm excited to try the full version out for myself on a real machine (not a VM) and get a solid opinion on Metro. I don't see Metro as "a horrible decision from MS" but I do like the concept of having the same experience on every device. This is something Apple needs to do as well IMO; I know they are on the way to this, but it's something that should've been done from the start.
Old 06-05-12, 09:07 AM   #36
Cylphid

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I think it's absolutely hilarious that everyone hates Windows 8! I'm excited to try the full version out for myself on a real machine (not a VM) and get a solid opinion on Metro. I don't see Metro as "a horrible decision from MS" but I do like the concept of having the same experience on every device. This is something Apple needs to do as well IMO; I know they are on the way to this, but it's something that should've been done from the start.
Apple is doing it right imo. A desktop experience for non touch devices and ios for touch based devices.

MS is forcing a touch based interface on everyone regardless of device.

I don't see any in between on this, either love it or hate it. I personally like the under the hood improvements, but hate metro with a passion.
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote