Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-12, 03:17 PM   #25
DanielVS

Default Re: Linux GTX 675M support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
Why would they mandate it, when the point is to operate without it. And it simplifies the hardware design when you can just statically wire up the chips and that's it.
My bad, I didn't write everything... I agree with you, as what you mentioned is the very purpose of optimus.

My point is that nvidia doesn't make clear in the docs (support, website, etc..) that under linux it is not a matter of installing the driver and you're good to go.

If they can't make their driver work, for whatever reason, I only see two ways to go: mandate the switch, or say out loud that the linux support they provide is _crap_ (ok, 'user-dependent' or 'must rely on 3rd party tools' would be more politically correct). The fact they didn't do either is reason to blame.

At least, some nb makers are using the switch in certain models (lenovo's workstation is, but its snb, not ivb).
DanielVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 03:25 PM   #26
geophph

I found this thread discussing the issue as well, mostly in terms of getting Bumblebee to work:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=178417

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=18
This post seems to imply that something is different in the architecture.
geophph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 03:33 PM   #27
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geophph View Post
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=18
This post seems to imply that something is different in the architecture.
Nope, "top to bottom Optimus strategy" just means that all machines will be pure Optimus, as in, without a hardware mux and the corresponding bios/efi option to control it. It says nothing about the Optimus architecture itself.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 03:41 PM   #28
geophph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
Nope, "top to bottom Optimus strategy" just means that all machines will be pure Optimus, as in, without a hardware mux and the corresponding bios/efi option to control it. It says nothing about the Optimus architecture itself.
I meant to imply the Intel+Optimus stack.

With my current laptop. I have almost no BIOS control options, pretty much can only set the clock. It is a i5-460M + GTX 420M. No issues with NVidia drivers. I have no idea if it actually is capable of Optimus or not. Are you suggesting that with the IVB+nvidia stack nothing is different? And perhaps issues with getting the 675m to work is simply lack of driver support?
Old 06-04-12, 03:51 PM   #29
Gusar

It seems to me your i5-460M + GTX 420M laptop isn't Optimus at all. It's Nvidia-only.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-12, 04:03 PM   #30
geophph

You are correct. Just did a little digging. In the BIOS there is no mention of any Intel GPU, no VRAM settings. Just displays the NVidia BIOS version and how much VRAM it has.

lspci | grep -i vga only shows the NVidia GPU. No second VGA adapter. I would assume Optimus capable laptops would list both adapters.

Well I think we can only wait and see as others start getting 6xxM based laptops and NVidia adds support for all of them.
Old 06-11-12, 04:36 PM   #31
Xevious

Reading through this thread was scaring me =P I just bought a Macbook pro with the 2880x1800 display. I plan to just run linux on it. Looks like I should be fine with bumblebee.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 05:30 PM   #32
LLStarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious View Post
Reading through this thread was scaring me =P I just bought a Macbook pro with the 2880x1800 display. I plan to just run linux on it. Looks like I should be fine with bumblebee.
You may be able to use gmux to switch graphics cards since Macbooks have a muxed Optimus setup.
LLStarks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-12, 02:01 PM   #33
675mint

Sorry, dupe post.

Last edited by 675mint; 06-12-12 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Dupe post
675mint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-12, 02:05 PM   #34
675mint

Hi guys, I had been going to purchase a Sager/Clevo with 675 graphics but have just gotten a Samsung G700 instead due to their great vat-back deal.

Anyways, I had absolutely no idea about the entire Optimus thing until I received my laptop yesterday and installed Mint 13 (Cinammon edition). Surprisingly everything important worked immmediately and that included 3d via Nouveau (I don't play games though so didn't test that).

I then went to install the native NVidia driver and started finding out about Optimus. However I looked at their website for beta drivers and they had just released 295.59 which mentioned support for the 675M so I downloaded that, installed and it appears to be working fine.

All I've done so far is install extreme tuxracer as a quick test and whacked all its settings up to the max and it played with no issues. Any ideas as to how I can test whether it's working properly (changing load as required?) as it sure seems it to me ?

There is a section called PowerMizer in the Nvidia X Server Settings app where I can change from Adaptive to Max Performance which maybe indicates that Optimus will actually work ?

Excuse me if I'm being really dumb, I haven't ever had a proper gpu until now !
Old 06-12-12, 08:04 PM   #35
LLStarks

Your laptop isn't Optimus
LLStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-12, 04:01 AM   #36
675mint

Really ? Because Nvidia tells me it is http://www.nvidia.in/object/geforce-gtx-675m-in.html