Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-02, 05:26 PM   #13
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by Tactics
Too late... I was doing some research and came up with people who buy 24' or 36' cables instead of 18' it can lead to problems with the HD. Maybe that's what your talking about -- other than that I read a ton of reviews and no one mentioned any problems. hmmm..

Rounded Cables

Some companies have gotten really cute with the design of what has become known as rounded cables. Depending on the manufacturer, the ribbons are sliced into single or multiple strands and then bundled tightly. In most cases, there should be no problems, however, there have been numerous suspicions on many bulletin boards about rounded cables causing higher coaster rates while burning CDs. Likewise, users of rounded cables appear to suffer from abnormally high failure rates of HDDs.

http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/ibm_maxtor/3.shtml

Read the entire article at
http://www.lostcircuits.com/advice/ibm_maxtor/

Ive been reading this site for a long time, and they can definitely be trusted, unlike TomsAdickandhehasahardwaresite.com
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 09:25 AM   #14
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

you could always make your own round cables for CDRW. I've never been able to do it properly with udma/66/100/133 cables, but for standard IDE cables it's simple and educational. Simply take a razor blade and make a small slit in the gap between lines about every 5 lines, then pull them apart (pulling apart means less chance of cutting something your not suppose to). Then take some plastic ties or electrical tape, and you got nice neat cables! It's kinda fun, and very easy to do, make you feel l334.

for more info: http://www.omegacorner.com/old/oldtips.htm
Old 08-29-02, 11:18 AM   #15
darkmiasma
... Meh ...

Quote:
make you feel l334.
very exciting ... i always wanted to be "leea" ... its much cooler than being "leet"

just busting your balls Gator ... don't take it personally ... i actually got a good laugh out of the typo ...

- mike

MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+
---------------------------------------------

CPU - [ AMD Athlon X2 4200+] Motherboard - [ Asus A8N-SLI Premium] RAM - [ 2GB Crucial DDR400] Videocard - [ eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO (256MB)] Hard Drives - [ (2x) 80.0 GB WD SATA-II ] [(2x) 300.0 GB WD SATA-II] Burner - [ 16x DVD-R/RW - 48x CD-R/RW (Lite-On) ] Soundcard - [ Soundblaster Audigy 2 ] PSU - [ Antec TruePower II 550W] Case - [ Lian-Li PC61 (Plexi window, Blue SA CC Tube) ] Monitor - [ Dell FP2005 (20" Widescreen Flat Panel) ]
darkmiasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 01:40 PM   #16
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Rounding ATA 66/100/133 cables is like one of the WORST things you can do!
The cables are in a ribbon for a reason...
There is a grounding wire in between every transmission wire in them to prevent crosstalk. And if you round them by slicing them up, you'll have a higher chance for crosstalk, which will lead to data loss...
Old 06-05-12, 02:34 PM   #17
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Re: what is a good latest and greatest hard drive?

^ BAN...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote