Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-07-12, 08:41 AM   #1
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S3 or Samsung Galaxy Note? Which should I go for.........

Now, my contract with my cell carrier is up, as I am a (er hem VIP) they have offered me if I should wish to commit my soul to them for another 24 months, give me for free of charge....either of these three phones;

iPhone 4S
Samsung Galaxy S3
Samsung Note

As a iPhone 4 owner, I was originally taken back by the sexy sleek design but, have been disappointed by itunes restrictions etc...cannot drag and drop my music in and out. I have liked the apps u can get on app store..some great games but, depressed about the battery life if I do play games and/ or listen to music at work or use wifi!

So, I am actually open to going back to Samsung....but in all honesty, I can't decide. I don't know if I can get any decent Android games like I can on iPhone.

So if you guys have any ideas I would like to hear from you
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:16 AM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S3 or Samsung Galaxy Note? Which should I go for.....

Just a couple of questions:

1) Have you checked out iTunes Match? As long as you have the songs in your iTunes library, you can stream them to your phone and won't have to worry about transferring them. Or you could do a subscription based service like Spotify or Rdio. Just a thought.

2) Do you heavily game on your iPhone? What else do you do on it? What about items like BT and Location Services? You can turn those off to save battery. Also use Wifi as much as you can too. The iPhone has pretty awesome battery life, even when gaming but it's not perfect. Any other phone would do the same thing if you played games on them.

IMO, the apps and games on iOS are a whole step above what Android has to offer. Apps in iOS are very well polished and it feels like the devs actually put the time into making them, not throwing them together. Plus there are plenty of games and apps that aren't available on Android.

The usual Apple haters will tell you that apps crash all the time, iPhone sucks, blah blah blah. From my personal experience, I've never had a problem with my iPhone or any iOS apps. To each his own, but unless you just love to tweak, tinker or just hate Apple, I would stick with iPhone.

/in before Apple haters
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 10:34 AM   #3
Cylphid

Default Re: iPhone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S3 or Samsung Galaxy Note? Which should I go for.....

I just bought 3 4s about 3 weeks ago and have had very few problems. I'll list just a few pros and cons.

-huge assortment of apps, but apart from what you'll hear from certain folks, some do crash time to time. I've had issues mostly with certain readers and productivity apps such as business card scanners.
-very seamless experience between itunes and the phones, wireless syncing, streaming music, configurable through itunes on my laptop and sync to phone.
-icloud works flawlessly so far, although the 5Gb free limit may not be enough for some users, the free email is nice.
-facetime, messaging, Siri all do their jobs well, although any background noise can throw the voice recognition off if you don't speak very slowly and clearly.
-Battery life is my biggest complaint. I would love to use this for a full day without having to plug it in, but I usually get the 20% warning well before dinner time rolls around.
-Screen and visual quality is excellent, the camera and various apps for photography all do an outstanding job for general photo taking.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment. I love the phone, ios is sweet and I will probably stay with it for some time.

The only real comparison I can make is with my supervisor's galaxy, not sure of the exact model, but it's a new release and he certainly isn't as enamored with his as I am with my phone. I use the heck out of this thing...
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:28 AM   #4
ViN86

Pointless to ask here imo, since people will pretty much just recommend what they have, Apple fanboys recommend iPhones, Android fanboys will recommend S3. In the end, it's best for you to go to the store and spend 15-20 minutes with each phone. Personally, I prefer Android. More options, more control, more customization.

Don't listen to all the Android stability complaints. Those are from people who had bad experiences with very old devices and crappy manufacturer support. Android ICS (4.x) is polished, smooth, and stable, and that's what you'll get on the S3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA
So, I am actually open to going back to Samsung....but in all honesty, I can't decide. I don't know if I can get any decent Android games like I can on iPhone.
Android phones make up a considerable market share now. Practically all major games are available on both platforms. Also, Android emulators have amazing performance. You will never see emulators on iOS.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 01:36 PM   #5
ViN86

Yes. That's why he should go tryout an S3 for a while at the store before he buys one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86
Pointless to ask here imo, since people will pretty much just recommend what they have, Apple fanboys recommend iPhones, Android fanboys will recommend S3. In the end, it's best for you to go to the store and spend 15-20 minutes with each phone.
Old 06-07-12, 03:27 PM   #6
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Speaking off... The S III launched here a few weeks ago - no hype at all. In fact, the daily media published more articles about iPhone 5 rumors during that time. I haven't seen anyone with the S III yet.

Now Samsung put up some official advertising. Apple never does that.

Gotta love Switzerland and all the Apple fans living here
I'm sure everyone in Seoul South Korea are going bonkers for the S3. They were in love with the Galaxy Note.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 03:31 PM   #7
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0 View Post
^Android fanboi
This.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 03:40 PM   #8
ViN86

Quote:
Speaking off... The S III launched here a few weeks ago - no hype at all. In fact, the daily media published more articles about iPhone 5 rumors during that time. I haven't seen anyone with the S III yet.

Funny, considering there are 9 million preorders for the device here.

Apple even commented on the preorders in their current request to extend their lawsuit to the S3.

This whole "you stole it" **** needs to stop. It's only hurting the industry. The truth is, neither company really invented anything related to smart phones. They just added a feature first, got some crappy patent, then use it to block their competition.

Old 06-07-12, 03:43 PM   #9
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I'm sure everyone in Seoul South Korea are going bonkers for the S3. They were in love with the Galaxy Note.
That's because Samsung is Korea. I have a friend who is from South Korea. He just went back to work for Samsung. They seem to have a great deal of pride in the company. It's nice to see.
Old 06-07-12, 07:35 PM   #10
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:

What's to love about whole countries being blindly loyal to a brand?

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 07:46 PM   #11
Hogrider

I say wait a little longer for the iphone 5 to debut if you can.
Old 06-07-12, 09:20 PM   #12
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Hmm, I did try the S3 at the cell carrier outlet. The OS/UI seems smooth and and un-intrusive.

I suspect because the iPhone 4S has the same OS as my iPhone4, the experience for iOS n the 4S will be marginally better than 4. On my 4 it sometime stutters for some reason.

My practical use will be all day at work mp3 player (through BT on my BT headphones). I occasional play games on it while on the bus to and from work or taking a .....nevermind. I also surf the net as well so........

If S3's android will allow me to simply drag and drop / delete my files (mp3s and vids) as needed to and from my computer to the phone, then that to me will be a big big plus. Any android users would like to verify this please?

Battery life is though a major factor, the S3 has a huge ass battery but, the screen is also bigger...I have read reports that the battery life even in heavy usage all day (ie vid looping and web browsing) was 9-10 hours. On my iPhone 4, I have to give it perk me up charge at work...mid afternoon. All i would have done is listen to music through BT and occasional web surf.

So for me it probably will be S3...most likely..i have to look for reviews of S3 with GAMES!

PS- It also seems that cooked ROMs are already available for the S3 too!!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote