Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 8

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-12, 12:53 PM   #49
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Windows 8 Release Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I agree with what you are saying for the most part. However, I'm looking more towards the future when tablets have way better hardware and are able to do heavy things like photo editing. I'm also looking at light gaming for tablets as well, not the watered down games we have now on mobile devices. I would like to try StarCraft 1 and 2 on a touchscreen at some point but we don't have that choice; maybe with a Win8 tablet one day?
problem with looking towards the future, is that while tablets will advance, everything else will not stay at current level, desktops will get even more faster, digital images will increase in MP, Canon already has 100mp sensors made. video will go to 4k and 8k, and tablets again will be the weak link. Starcraft can work (performance wise) on current laptops, if only blizzard woud port it, but i still don't want to see future games castrated just so its the same game across all platforms.

Quote:
I'm not a professional photographer (just a hobby) but it would be nice to make my adjustments and such on a tablet if I choose to do so. It doesn't seem that impossible to me in another couple of years.
again, i don't want to see programs i love to use like photoshop and lightroom to be castrated because someone wants to use them on tablet. you can't fit photoshop or lightroom on tablet screen and keep interface in tack, making everything bigger is not a options, because it would take you hours to go though all the options, what you need is simple software thats made for tablet, leave the software that pros use alone, don't dumb it down. touch interface simply will not work with it.
Quote:
However, I do agree that the small screen would get old after a while. I love photo and video editing on my MBP but again, it would be nice to have the option to use my tablet instead of carrying the MBP around.

Power users will always prefer to use desktops and laptops, simple users will revert to easier choices such as tablets and phones. I like to stay in the middle and use them all, but I would like more unity between all of my devices. Just my two cents.

like slawter said, desktop and post-pc devices like tablets are in entirelly different categories, and what MS is doing in trying to merge them is just insane.
Old 06-06-12, 01:19 PM   #50
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
like slawter said, desktop and post-pc devices like tablets are in entirelly different categories, and what MS is doing in trying to merge them is just insane.
The more and more I use my tablet (which is rare), I get more discouraged using it and think that I just don't need one anymore. Watered down games are very disappointing compared to the real deal and the lack of using it for my work (or the lack of it integrating easily into my workflow) is horrible. I honestly use my phone or laptop more than anything else. Guess a tablet just isn't for me. Oh well because the wife and child have the iPad now lol.

I'll still upgrade to Windows 8 across the board because Metro doesn't bother me. I know that there are ways around Metro and I'll find the best way to use it. For my clients, however, I think it will be a little bit of a nightmare.

Glad you can join the Apple camp nekro!
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-12, 05:32 PM   #51
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I use my tablet a lot more than my laptop. In fact my laptop doesn't even have a HDD in it right now. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 08:11 AM   #52
Cylphid

Quote:
The more and more I use my tablet (which is rare), I get more discouraged using it and think that I just don't need one anymore. Watered down games are very disappointing compared to the real deal and the lack of using it for my work (or the lack of it integrating easily into my workflow) is horrible. I honestly use my phone or laptop more than anything else. Guess a tablet just isn't for me. Oh well because the wife and child have the iPad now lol.

I'll still upgrade to Windows 8 across the board because Metro doesn't bother me. I know that there are ways around Metro and I'll find the best way to use it. For my clients, however, I think it will be a little bit of a nightmare.

Glad you can join the Apple camp nekro!
MS supposedly removed the legacy code that allowed people to hack it and get the old start menu back.

EDIT: http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/06/mi...-a-start-date/
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 11:31 AM   #53
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I use my iPad everyday.
I see a tablet strictly as a consuming device. It's not good for productive tasks.
Reading news for example is quite nice on the iPad. Apps like Flipboard are brilliant and make that task a really nice experience. Even reading stuff in Safari is enjoyable.

I don't use it for productive stuff. It's not made for that. Casual games are nice on a tablet but not my thing either.

I don't even use it for E-Mail or iMessage. I do that stuff on my Mac Pro. A computer is simply better for that, easier and faster to type on.
I do enjoy FlipBoard, but the thing that still rings in my head is "Wow, I've spent $350 on a tablet just for reading and minor web surfing." Kinda bugs me.

Mountain Lion is going to enable Mac to ATV mirroring and that will be mega win. Not sure why I need an iPad anymore.

I agree that the iPad isn't much for productivity. I've really and honestly tried to use it for work purposes but it's only good for email, calendar and small items that my work iPhone already does.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-12, 03:28 PM   #54
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

What do you think ipad is? Is just a larger iphone.
Old 06-07-12, 09:07 PM   #55
crainger

It's a larger iPhone with attitude nekro.
Old 06-08-12, 12:07 AM   #56
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
What do you think ipad is? Is just a gayer iphone.
FTFY.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-12, 09:05 PM   #57
crainger

:: This new job has taken it's toll on your trolling Keeshy. That was a pretty weak effort.
Old 06-12-12, 12:44 PM   #58
AthlonXP1800

Just tried out latest Chrome DEV build as default browser to use Chrome on Metro. It worked awesome with the same functions as desktop Chrome, I find it much easier to use than IE10 Metro.

I still not understand why all the Metro/Windows 8 haters, I been on Windows 3.1 and get used to it, it no better than Amiga OS 3.1. Think my dad will love Metro without lost around in desktop.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 08:33 AM   #59
TheOneAndOnly

Quote:
I agree that the iPad isn't much for productivity. I've really and honestly tried to use it for work purposes but it's only good for email, calendar and small items that my work iPhone already does.
And yet, many businesses are finding them very useful. Ironic that.
TheOneAndOnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-12, 04:38 PM   #60
crainger

Quote:
Maybe for you in your little cubicle, but here iPad is what we do most of our work on. It's great for field work. We have our GIS software, but we also can do up quick spreadsheets, notes, emails, appointments and it's all in a cloud. No way we could do that on laptops or desktops. It's also great for flights due to long battery life and the touch screen is really good for maps anywhere. City maps aren't fun on an iPhone.