Default Re: Epic Reveals First Details of Unreal Engine 4

Not bad.
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 01:59 AM   #26
AthlonXP1800

Unreal Engine 4 Elemental Demo

Wow it looked amazing.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-12, 07:40 AM   #27
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
For people who aren't impressed...what the hell are you expecting? Movie like CGI? That's still a good 10 years off.

At least new games built on this engine will actually look like their cinematic trailers for once...on PC.
My thoughts exactly. The Unreal engine 4 has moved on from yesterday to the future. Global Illumination, all rendered real time as opposed to light maps.

Seems you guys wouldnt be impressed if a gorgeous girl was butt naked in front of you guys spread eagle and looking coy! Sheesh!
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 08:02 AM   #28
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
For people who aren't impressed...what the hell are you expecting? Movie like CGI? That's still a good 10 years off.
Better texture quality, that's it.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 09:23 AM   #29
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
That has nothing to do with the engine. It supports really high texture resolutions already. The limitation comes with hardware that its running on.

Unless the next Xbox and Playstation have more memory you will be stuck with the mid range to below that texture resolution. The engine can't help that.
Old 06-10-12, 09:25 AM   #30
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA View Post
My thoughts exactly. The Unreal engine 4 has moved on from yesterday to the future. Global Illumination, all rendered real time as opposed to light maps.

Seems you guys wouldnt be impressed if a gorgeous girl was butt naked in front of you guys spread eagle and looking coy! Sheesh!
People who aren't impressed are to stupid to actually know how this engine changes things. It's not about draw distance and textures but rather the interactivity and how realtime the engine is. This is far more impressive then anything Crytek has put out.
Old 06-10-12, 09:26 AM   #31
Bman212121

I would also say I'm not too impressed either. Same stuff every generation has been claiming. Better water, better lighting, and better particle effects.

It will probably look better in some games but it still doesn't solve the main issue which is textures. If you look at the ground and still have a low resolution jaggy mess where you can see the seam from the engine trying to sew two textures together it will detract any advantages the lighting has. The day that textures are removed completely will be the best day for graphics.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 09:30 AM   #32
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
I would also say I'm not too impressed either. Same stuff every generation has been claiming. Better water, better lighting, and better particle effects.

It will probably look better in some games but it still doesn't solve the main issue which is textures. If you look at the ground and still have a low resolution jaggy mess where you can see the seam from the engine trying to sew two textures together it will detract any advantages the lighting has. The day that textures are removed completely will be the best day for graphics.
Um I don't see any seam or bad low res textures but then again I am also giving the video alot of slack since its on ****ing youtube and not running realtime in front of me.

Old 06-10-12, 09:45 AM   #33
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
That has nothing to do with the engine. It supports really high texture resolutions already. The limitation comes with hardware that its running on.
It was running on a high end machine, it was a tech demo.

The texture quality looks on par with what we have now, why not show the capabilities of the engine? It brings the whole thing down, a lot.

People don't care how much realtime this things is, because for most of them, it's hard to tell. Better textures on the other hand make a lot of difference.

Also, UE3 had trouble with compressing textures too much, so it didn't matter how good they were.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 10:02 AM   #34
Redeemed

Quote:
It was running on a high end machine, it was a tech demo.

The texture quality looks on par with what we have now, why not show the capabilities of the engine? It brings the whole thing down, a lot.

People don't care how much realtime this things is, because for most of them, it's hard to tell. Better textures on the other hand make a lot of difference.

Also, UE3 had trouble with compressing textures too much, so it didn't matter how good they were.
This is pretty much my stance- it didn't show anything that CryEngine can't do. There was nothing new there that "wowed" me. I guess if you're primarily playing on consoles this could be impressive, but we've seen comparable on PC for years now. Maybe not enough to say it's the norm- but it's not new for PC gaming that's for certain.

However I don't doubt the capabilities of the engine- I'm sure as hardware progresses it'll allow the engine to really shine. I'm also suspecting they're trying to give an idea of what the engine will be capable of on next gen consoles, not the PC side.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 12:32 PM   #35
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg View Post
I didn't see this until this morning. very impressive. I wonder how Frostbite and Cryengine would look if everything in the scene was built exactly the same way. Seems like all of those all can do everything the UE4 is doing here.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-12, 10:20 PM   #36
Destroy

Quote:
This. The blurry crap, even up close, needs to be totally gone, period.

Also, fully destructible, with proper physics, environment, bring it!

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote