Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-12, 11:15 AM   #1
Blackcrack

Default User Response : PR Response to Linus Torvald's Inflammatory Comments

Hy Nvidia

1. thank you very mutch for the support of you Nvidiadrivers from you Grafic-Cards !

i have read this one :

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/it...s-1621598.html

Dear Nivida,

they are rights.. :
Quote:
NVIDIA's statements on the release dates of their drivers may result in objections
from the Linux community, however, as Intel manages to release their open source
drivers concurrently with the market launch of their GPUs as well. In several cases,
the Intel drivers were even released before the corresponding card reached the market.
hummm... why can have Intel every a nose in front.. humm..
i be a littlebit fan of you NV-Grafic-chips and i dont like to buy a other Factorys chips
but how mutch you support other Platforms, but other Factorys do it too ...
or ?

and i think realy on my more as 20 Jears on the net and exuser of Voodoo1
(at moment 8600GT but i have now a work and plan with my first
munny a 640 or an 650 to buy )
and so on.. You are, Nvidia can do it too like Intel.. to have easy more a
noselengh in front to have. Easily more trusting in the Linuxdevelopers like
Linus and Distrodevelopers like Mandriva or Debian and Fedora ..
I know corporate trade secrets, but a little more opening and trust want be good
in LinuxDevelopers ...

Happy Programming and Hardwaredeveloping

bests regards
Blacky

Blackcrack
Blackysgate.de
ut3skins.fav.cc
Blackcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 11:48 AM   #2
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke
Default Re: User Response : PR Response to Linus Torvald's Inflammatory Comments

Except Intel graphics are complete crap, don't expect any performance there.

ATI 'fglrx' drivers are garbage, and the open-source ones also are terrible performance and missing MANY features.

I can slap a GTX 680 in my workstation and get full performance out of it in Linux. End of story.

ATI 'fglrx' drivers break everytime you upgrade your kernel because updates are slow. NVIDIA is usually one-step ahead of the kernel developers.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 01:47 PM   #3
kricepapa

Default Re: User Response : PR Response to Linus Torvald's Inflammatory Comments

Did anyone, ANYONE, bother to watch the ENTIRE video, including the NVIDIA tech's exchange at the end?
kricepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:09 PM   #4
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricepapa View Post
Did anyone, ANYONE, bother to watch the ENTIRE video, including the NVIDIA tech's exchange at the end?
Why? Knee-jerk reactions and writing incoherent rants is much more fun, apparently.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 03:23 PM   #5
maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcrack View Post

they are rights.. :

"NVIDIA's statements on the release dates of their drivers may result in objections
from the Linux community, however, as Intel manages to release their open source
drivers concurrently with the market launch of their GPUs as well. In several cases,
the Intel drivers were even released before the corresponding card reached the market."
no they are not rights.

I have or used to have machines with the following intel chip sets:

GM45: this one seems to be working just fine. Of course, the laptop will not do any taxing 3D applications or screen savers, but the daily workload is 100% solid.

GMA965: still crashing by random screen savers.

Clarkdale: long history of posting bugzilla entries and upgrading various stack components up to the craziness of compiling xorg myself. In the end xorg still segfaulted once a week which is lethal when you are in the middle of doing something important. Recently I've replaced this crap with an nvidia card and a Lynnfield CPU - which unfortunately runs hotter due to the 45nm process :-(
maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 03:52 AM   #6
Blackcrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyke View Post
Except Intel graphics are complete crap, don't expect any performance there.
i have say nothing over perfomance or something,
i had say about Tradement and relacedates of the Drivers/Software ..

Mario, by you same, nothing of the Product, only over the support by developers...

hey, be better, make no Productflame, we know all here in Forum
to be NvidiaChips one of the bests.. Oky...

i have start this tread to speak over the support and more trustment
for linuxdevelopers and not for babeling/quasseling over chipset's
and who hardware it is better or bader Peep's
Please stay on the Theme.. Linus , Linux and developeing of drivers bzw
support and more trustment for linuxdevelopers ...

Maby have Linus Benedict Torvalds login here and can write on this place ,
what can maby make better Nvidia in future.. a productive suggestion maby...

best regards
Blacky
Blackcrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 07:51 AM   #7
Mr_Bumpy

I just wanted to say THANK YOU NVIDIA! I have been a happy NVIDIA user on Linux for years, and have always seen the most problems with other drivers on other chipsets (particularly ATI/AMD). Sure, there have been occasional issues, but I get that on Windows too, and anybody expecting perfection obviously doesn't realize the complexity of both modern graphics cards and maintaining a unified driver that is supposed to support a large number of them at once.

I hope that Linus being a loose cannon doesn't offend or deter NVIDIA out of their desire to support Linux. Remember that Linux is much larger than Linus. Even though he may seem to hold a Bill Gates/Steve Jobs type of position, he doesn't speak for everyone involved in Linux (to most people, this is a great relief).

Anyway, I was motivated to come over here and post this after reading about his comments, and I will say it again:

THANK YOU NVIDIA! (and Mike Chambers!)
Mr_Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 01:06 PM   #8
maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcrack View Post
Mario, by you same, nothing of the Product, only over the support by developers...

hey, be better, make no Productflame, we know all here in Forum
to be NvidiaChips one of the bests.. Oky...
if Mario is supposed to be me you misunderstood my point. The point I was trying to make is that releasing a driver (even if it is open source which i clearly prefer) is not relevant in itself. The relevant point in time is when the driver stack is actually WORKING. And from my experience intel have not yet released a WORKING driver stack for Clarkdale and GMA965 and therefore the praise of intel you quoted is wholly unjustified.

Old 06-21-12, 02:41 PM   #9
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by maro View Post
And from my experience intel have not yet released a WORKING driver stack for Clarkdale
Clarkdale is the CPU, it's accompanying GPU is Ironlake. Anyway, I own the thing for almost two years now. The only thing that doesn't work is deinterlacing of mpeg2 video using VAAPI, it's a known thing. But everything else does, 2D, 3D, video decoding using VAAPI, everything. So your experience is your own, and not shared by others.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 06:15 PM   #10
ledoc

Here's an interesting take on this thing:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-and-nres.aspx
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 02:17 PM   #11
kricepapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
Here's an interesting take on this thing:
http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...-and-nres.aspx
Thanks for that link. Seems NVIDIA has a lot to learn...
kricepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 02:34 PM   #12
maro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
So your experience is your own, and not shared by others.
You are right. So is yours, and the experiences by all those other people having posted unresolved bugzilla tickets.

On the plus side, at least there is transparency through the use of bugzilla. That's something for Nvidia to consider, too.