Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-28-12, 07:34 PM   #1
jkmetal

Default Computer Restoration Project 2012.

My Rig has served me very very well and it still has plenty of life remaining.

But it needs a makeover in the worst way....

Yeah that case has been though a whole lot.... (college)

The guts are simply an abomination. The dynamat was a mod I did back in 08 due to my hearing condition. My case is pretty silent.

More weirdness and general disrepair. I need to do something with that fan cover. I dust once every week now to keep the dust under control.

Its a mess.

And... its getting a bit long in the tooth. Yes it still has life in it, as I can comfortably play any game on the market, but my psu is bordering on 5 years old. In fact almost everything in my computer has some serious miles on it.

Processor: 4 years old.. (brought used in 2009)
Motherboard: 4 years (again used)
RAM: 4 years old.
GPU: 1 year 8 months
PSU: 5 years
CASE: 5 years
Soundcard: 6 years (no joke. note, my condition has improved considerably since 2007/08. I no longer watch movies with subtitles, listen to some music etc)
DVD drive: 2 years
HDD: 2 years 10 months

Roughly 3.8 years. The age of my powersupply concerns me the most.

So why not replace rather than fix/restore? Money. I have a limited budget.

My plan is this:

1. Repaint my case. Sand out all the scratches, all the glue residue and give it a new life. I m thinking about black with a mirror gloss finish.

2 Rebuild. Take out everything, give each part a look over and a cleaning. Re apply thermal paste, rewire everything.. ect.

3 Invest in new (possibly modular psu).

4 Reinstall OS. Its that time again. Its been a year since my last re install.

5 I m also going to check out my peripherals.

6 A blu ray drive sometime in the future. It may be distant future..

So this is going to be a project page of sorts. I am totally open to suggestions.

My budget for everything is a soft 100 to a hard 150.

Wish me luck. Also if you want more pictures of the current crappyness for lols, I d be happy to oblige.
Old 06-28-12, 09:02 PM   #2

Default Re: Computer Restoration Project 2012.

This is actually a very cool project you my friend know the secret, that if a simple, clean, functioning OLD SCHOOL system can do everything a muti core triple carded whatchamacallit can do, then the whatchamacallit is the inferior system.

I will be monitoring your progress and wish you well. As far as paint, flat black Krylon worked great for me on a Thermaltake case once.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 09:04 PM   #3
737MAX

1. Repaint my case. Sand out all the scratches, all the glue residue and give it a new life. I m thinking about black with a mirror gloss finish.
Would absolutely recommend black gloss finish for the whole thing. What made me purchase my current case is it is all black. Really adds to the overall look.

2 Rebuild. Take out everything, give each part a look over and a cleaning. Re apply thermal paste, rewire everything.. ect.
Never hurts. Always good to completely take apart and go over everything.

3 Invest in new (possibly modular psu).
I have built 3 computers for myself (And countless for other people) since 2006 and have only used modular PSUs. So easy to deal with and route wires--No excess that you don't need.

4 Reinstall OS. Its that time again. Its been a year since my last re install.
Nice.

5 I m also going to check out my peripherals.
Word to DD. Or something like that.

6 A blu ray drive sometime in the future. It may be distant future.
I have one that I installed in my current rig. Have had it almost two years and have yet to use it once. Just my thoughts.
737MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 09:42 PM   #4
jkmetal

Thanks for the responses.

I d like the blu ray player to watch movies. My library has started to build a blu ray collection and I love to see all my favorites in Hi Def.

I m going to grab a backup case from a local computer shop for $5-10. I expect many things to go wrong with the painting process. Between stripping the paint, sanding, primer, drying, color.... I can see the painting part of this project lasting a few weeks.
Old 06-28-12, 10:38 PM   #5
737MAX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmetal View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I d like the blu ray player to watch movies. My library has started to build a blu ray collection and I love to see all my favorites in Hi Def.

I m going to grab a backup case from a local computer shop for $5-10. I expect many things to go wrong with the painting process. Between stripping the paint, sanding, primer, drying, color.... I can see the painting part of this project lasting a few weeks.
Ya, I initially purchased the blu-ray player for the same reason and simply never use it. If you will though, go for it.

And ya, I am terrible with projects like like so I would be a mess painting a case. Good luck!
737MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 11:38 PM   #6

You should consider the FLAT black Krylon paint vs. the Glossy, the flat black usually looks better and is easier to apply from the can and would give your case a cool INDUSTRIAL look.

Of course this is all my opinion and you will have to determine the destiny of the paint.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 03:25 PM   #7
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

While it is fun to build, mod and restore and practical, and I can appreciate that. I'd take the budget and get a new chassi looking at those pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-160-_-Product

The reason being just how much better chassis have become compared to the oldschool ones.
Better airflow, more silent designs, easy to remove and maintain dust covers, route cables behind the motherboard tray etc etc.

With your budget there's plenty of good options available! and you wouldn't have to mount your cpu cooler the wrong way anymore

Then get a Corsair HX 650 psu later. They are very robust, modular and will last you a long time, even if you decide to add more hardware later on or overclock.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 04:08 PM   #8
jkmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by EciDemon View Post
While it is fun to build, mod and restore and practical, and I can appreciate that. I'd take the budget and get a new chassi looking at those pictures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129021
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-160-_-Product

The reason being just how much better chassis have become compared to the oldschool ones.
Better airflow, more silent designs, easy to remove and maintain dust covers, route cables behind the motherboard tray etc etc.

With your budget there's plenty of good options available! and you wouldn't have to mount your cpu cooler the wrong way anymore

Then get a Corsair HX 650 psu later. They are very robust, modular and will last you a long time, even if you decide to add more hardware later on or overclock.
I thought about just going for a new case. I really did.

Its quiet and simple just the way i like it. Every mod I have ever done for it has been to make my pc even more quiet than before. (note: cpu cooler is wrong way?? lol, its possible, i put that on in 2010 after buying another heaksink ..)
Plus my goal is also to have fun with this. I love learning new skills. The experience of creating something.

I ll look into that psu. Thanks for the tip.

Anyway day 1 of the project has not gone exactly as planned. My local shop didn't have any spare cases in stock, so I m borrowing my friend's case for the month. My trip to walmart for paint and suppiles was a bust. I only got a can of gray primer. Lowe's is next on my list. A bit beat after my pool job so I m shooting for a sunday for that. Hope to have everything by then.

I ve also been raiding my place for tools and spare parts. I have a huge fan that I may use to replace my current exhaust fan. In fact I m going to go look for that right now.

Old 06-29-12, 05:29 PM   #9
EciDemon

Send a message via ICQ to EciDemon

It's not "wrong" but less then optimal you could say. You wanna align the cpu cooler with the exhaust fan in the back, that way you get good airflow from the front through the chassi and out the back. And the other reason being your graphics card is below radiating heat upwards to cool the cpu with.. So even with the chassi you have now, you can optimize it for better performance.

Im also using an old chassi, mine is from 2004 before cable routing behind the mobo tray became the norm. Had I the tools i would make some holes my self for better cable management as there's enough room back there. But it's a big chassi so it's of less consequence.

If you really want a silent pc then cable management and airflow is key. Less heat and air restrictions enables you to run your fans at lower rpm while maintaining good performance. Put a good silent fan with high static pressure on the cpu cooler and swap out old generic fans.
Psu's now days tend to not have 80 or 92mm fans in the back but instead a big one in the bottom/top for less noise.
Harddrives you can effectively silence by suspending them with shoe laces in an empty 3.5 bay.
EciDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 09:13 AM   #10
jkmetal

I ve decided on a new power supply. I ve had an antec for 5 years, so I 've decided to stay with the brand. I also don't need more power than what I ve got right now, so the power supply I ve chosen is 550 watts. Finally it is fully modular, which is a real necessity.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817371016

My budget is tight for this. I m not cutting any corners but I m not going to be able to fund any real upgrades.

On the painting front I'm one trip to home depot away from being ready to begin. I've decided on satin black, rather than flat or glossy.
Old 06-30-12, 10:35 AM   #11
grey_1

Best of luck with the project.

I've painted 2 cases using a black lacquer finish and they came out much better than I thought they would. It was pretty simple too.

just a couple of suggestions -

Use steel wool to "clean" the case thoroughly, then blow it out with compressed air and wipe down.

Grab a can of adhesion promoter.

Wet sand between coats using soapy water for a very even, clean surface.

Post some pics of the finished project.
grey_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 09:33 PM   #12
jkmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Best of luck with the project.

I've painted 2 cases using a black lacquer finish and they came out much better than I thought they would. It was pretty simple too.

just a couple of suggestions -

Use steel wool to "clean" the case thoroughly, then blow it out with compressed air and wipe down.

Grab a can of adhesion promoter.

Wet sand between coats using soapy water for a very even, clean surface.

Post some pics of the finished project.

Adhesion promoter? Hmm I will look into that.