Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-13-03, 03:16 PM   #13
Emoktanar

I had same setup and running Gentoo.
I had the same exact problem you did infernator your methods worked for fixing my problem.. I also to had the same thing happen with glxgears, in the background i get 10,000fps in foreground I get 5,000fps..
The big key for me was taking out the dri rendering from the kernel,, i had already taken out the agpart,, and i had tried NvAGP 1,2, and3 but not4 in the options of Xf86Config..

Thanks again for posting info
Emoktanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-03, 04:52 PM   #14
bwkaz

I think that's because when in the background, glxgears doesn't have to render the pixels to the screen.

Well, let me check that -- when you say "in the background", you mean "covered (partially or fully) by another window", right?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-03, 10:33 PM   #15
Septor

Just to clarify things: It is the 3522 BIOS for the EP-8RDA3+ that will allow Linux to start working again?

I have been having nasty problems where the system would freeze after a few minutes of no keyboard activity (without X running at all). Also I haven't been able to get X to start up at all (Geforce4) with this motherboard.

Has anyone tried IO-APIC and/or ACPI in the kernel with the new BIOS?

THe BIOS can be found here: http://www.epox.com.tw/file/8RD33526.BIN
Septor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-03, 08:56 AM   #16
Emoktanar

I can not verify your question about the BIOS,, I was using the BIOS when my system would not go into X, and after I upgraded my BIOS to 5-22-03 my X started working but I believe it was because of the other changes I made to my system and nothing to do with the BIOS,, I will be able to verify this on my other system when I have time since it also uses the EPOX 8RDA+ board along side an NVIDIA graphics card.. I have Gentoo on it now and ran into the same problem with X as I did on my current system,, my BIOS on that machine is still 3-22-03.. So I will not flash BIOS and just make the same changes.. ONE thing to note is that nvidia just released support for AGPGART drivers on there website which are better performance.. It gives you the chance to compile in the kernel now agpgart for nvidia chipset.. But my machine never had any problems locking up or acting funny until I tried to startx,, then it would lock up or garbled ascii text.. So your problem may be different. Nonetheless just remove dri-rendering from kernel in char devices and install nvidia latest nforce release and compile agpgart for nvidia chipset into kernel.
thankyou and good day. Im not proof reading this so take it as is.
Emoktanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-04, 02:13 PM   #17
jimmyjamesaa

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have a problem here. The AGPGART patch from NVIDIA is marked only for kernel 2.4.20 and I have kernel 2.4.22. When I try to use th diff file it won't merge into the kernel. Now the nVidia docs state to perform the merge manually, but how in the H-E- double hockey sticks do you do that? Like the sig says, I am a newbie and really don't wanna go mucking up the source code for my kernel. Also, say if I did go back a kernel version to the 2.4.20 -- what happens if I move on to a newer kernel...... If someone out there could post their steps in getting the nvidia driver to work on their 8RDA+ board, I would appreciate it.

I have just installed fedora core 1 after getting frustrated with trying to use Libranet 2.8.1 and getting the nVidia drivers to work with my mobo/graphics card. Libranet states that they have native support for the nVidia graphics, and the 2.8.1 version will install them at installation of the OS, however due to whatever problem I am having with the 8RDA+ mobo, X just completely locks up after installing Libranet with the nvidia drivers.

Either way, both copies of Linux that I have (Fedora and Libranet) come with kernels that are > 2.4.20 so the nVidia nForce AGPGART patch won't work. Anyone have any thoughts of ideas as to what I should do here?