Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-15-12, 04:17 AM   #13
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA
Default Re: The Secret World

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal View Post
They are gonna use some updated combat mechanics and dx11 graphics for this beta weekend. Can't wait!

Btw, is it me, or does this game gives off a vtmb vibe at times? I love it
The modern setting and spooky premises is what attracts me to this game. Visuals are great (but some bugs need sorting)

I am in the closed beta and I am encouraged. This is definitely more than a lil different from other MMOs but in the end it is still an XP grind fest. Just the way they have done it is different, dunno if it is innovative but, some quests require you to think outside the game etc

Performance wise is the same as Age of Conan. I am told that the horizontal grind is worth at the end when you unlock the big specializations/skills.

The crafting system is also a little intriguing. You have to learn by trial and error to get the best out in terms of uniques I have been told. Nothing complicated but, you dont get receipes etc. You learn by undoing what is there and then, adding your own spices (so to speak) to the mix, and you may get a Vindaloo or a wet biscuit. Be sure to have a notepad handy to write down all you can experiment with.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 07:24 AM   #14
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

The grind is the only thing that annoys me, as with aoc. I joined aoc again much later, after the exp was released. That was too much of a grind to me. The only comfort I have now is that I will be playing from the start, houpfully for a long time, so I will have people to grind with.

And the little things are the ones that have the biggest impact, innovation wise (I think). The questing, the character progression, the items and the world setting and presentaion - all of these make for some uniqe moments - coming from the open beta experience.
Old 06-18-12, 11:34 PM   #15
MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3avyM3tal View Post
The grind is the only thing that annoys me, as with aoc. I joined aoc again much later, after the exp was released. That was too much of a grind to me. The only comfort I have now is that I will be playing from the start, houpfully for a long time, so I will have people to grind with.

And the little things are the ones that have the biggest impact, innovation wise (I think). The questing, the character progression, the items and the world setting and presentaion - all of these make for some uniqe moments - coming from the open beta experience.
TBH you have 3 character slots.... you can conceivably after 2 years of xp grinding, fully unlock all skills for all specialization! Time sink!

So its going to be grind fest but instead of alts, you have one on each faction and can specialize way u see fit! Time sink!

What I can get from AoC experience is that hopefully FC add pots for XP to this game!

Heavy; I have closed beta access buddy key...interested?
Corsair 600T Case
Old 06-19-12, 02:39 AM   #16
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

I think in the long run the grind will be the same. I just shudder when I think about starting to grind for some sort of points for items (ala rotgs)... Did the polaris dungeon this open weekend, had a blast. Literally. There is going to be an ingame store from the start I think, so pots will be present from the get go I think. DC sells these starter and master packs prelaunch, and somewhere in there there are xp pots.

BTW, which weapon combinations you like most? I've only tried going elemental pistols, but I think I'm gonna switch to a full caster on launch. I did like the shotgun though...
Old 06-19-12, 04:45 AM   #17
MUYA

I did a variety of combat abilities over the last 4-5 months

Sword+shotgun

Auto Rifle+shotgun

Elemental+Blood

Chaos+???

I am not a theory crafter but in the end I decided in the end to go for shotgun for aoe and blood for heals for the remainder of the beta
Corsair 600T Case
Old 06-25-12, 03:28 PM   #18
ElL33t
Brobama

I tried this beta this weekend and thought it was boring.
I am the #1 Obama supporter
ElL33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 04:20 AM   #19
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

MUYA, which server are you on, and which faction did you go for?
Old 07-05-12, 02:39 PM   #20
hirantha
SUC SUDO

Didn't play the Beta. Didn't care for the game. But something happened when i saw the game the day before the release (Saw it on origin). I had to give it a try so bought it on the release date.

Have you tell you I'm having a freaking good time, never thought I will like this game, Everything about this is totally new, never seen in any other MMO. For some reason game doesn't feel like an MMO for most of the time till you see other players.

Love the graphics in this game, Will post ss later today.

Sometimes feel like i'm playing the game 'Alone in the dark', but TSW is way better and polished to the max.

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-12, 07:18 PM   #21
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

I've been burned by funcom twice now. Does this game play anything like age of Conan cause that game was terribad. Also, does the combat play as bad as it looks on video.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-12, 10:29 AM   #22
hirantha
SUC SUDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I've been burned by funcom twice now. Does this game play anything like age of Conan cause that game was terribad. Also, does the combat play as bad as it looks on video.
This is the first game I have tried from them. Its decent for a fresh release. I say wait till maybe they fix bunch of issues in the next and first patch.

What sux is no auction house in the game yet. That's a bummer for me.

I will be playing this only for 2 months, then gotta get rdy for GW2.

GW2 is wayyyy lot better compare to this (just from GW2 beta experience)

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-12, 10:40 AM   #23
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirantha View Post
This is the first game I have tried from them. Its decent for a fresh release. I say wait till maybe they fix bunch of issues in the next and first patch.

What sux is no auction house in the game yet. That's a bummer for me.

I will be playing this only for 2 months, then gotta get rdy for GW2.

GW2 is wayyyy lot better compare to this (just from GW2 beta experience)
IMO GW2 is not way better. It's better in some ways, but worse at other things. From the beta I gathered it's more of the same, and the stuff they added is kinda superficial imo. They didn't change the way you play the game, they just give you more options.

The PVP aspect has some interesting aspects though, and it looks to be epic. I did only two pvp sessions in TWS, and from those two it was fun. And it feels way better than any fantasy setting mmo I played.
Old 07-09-12, 03:47 AM   #24
MUYA

I am still on the fence about this game. Its fun to do quests in that its pace is slow and lets you concentrate on the overall (supernatural+its out there X Files) immersion of what the game devs are trying to across.

However, the abilities combination is the key thing hre and you must be ready to do your own theory craftng to get a decent build. There are multiple synergies all across all skills and no one cookie cutter spec for DPS/Tanking /heals or hybrid.

I still havent cracked it but, I saw a few QL3 toons (same as me) who just were blasting things in no time as opposed to taking some time with my build lol but I am still having fun.