Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-12, 01:05 PM   #73
antolap

Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers donít work in Ubuntu 12.04

I would like to understand a thing:
if a new nvida 96.xx driver would be available (for example for my nvidia mx440 64mb), gnome 3 will work or not?
a new driver will be sufficient to play gnome3 or on old cards like mine or gnome3 will never work (for hardware missing features)??

please reply!!!
antolap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:12 PM   #74
Gusar

Default Re: NVidia 96.xx.xx & 173.xx.xx Legacy drivers donít work in Ubuntu 12.04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdavesr View Post
If a release of the 96 driver does not happen soon and I am forced to buy a new vidio card, It wont be nvidia. please update.
This is a typical knee-jerk reaction without using your brain. If you did, you'd know that the other side dropped support for old cards three years ago! So threats like what you just did only make you look silly.

And if your response will now be "there's the open source driver for those", well, there's one for old nv cards too - nouveau. And about the other possible response - "the other side actively supports open source"... Well, the r300 driver was initially reverse-engineered, just like nouveau is.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:25 PM   #75
johnc

You could get a new nvidia card for $10 and it'd be more powerful than most of this ancient hardware. Or are people still stuck on AGP motherboards or something?
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:40 PM   #76
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
Or are people still stuck on AGP motherboards or something?
They quite likely are. But even so, you can still find Geforce 6/7 AGP cards here and there. Or, to go really fancy, there's GT520 and GT430 PCI available (note: that's PCI, not PCIe) <- Fermi cards on PCI!
Old 07-12-12, 01:52 PM   #77
antolap

Quote:
You could get a new nvidia card
I have an old asus p4b533 motherboard... what's the most powerful nvidia card I could put in the agp slot to play with gnome3 without problem?
antolap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 01:57 PM   #78
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by antolap View Post
I have an old asus p4b533 motherboard... what's the most powerful nvidia card I could put in the agp slot to play with gnome3 without problem?
For AGP, Geforce 7. However, the most powerful card you can get (and also most expensive, of course) is a GT430 PCI.
Old 07-12-12, 02:02 PM   #79
johnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by antolap View Post
You can compare cards with the chart here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units
Old 07-12-12, 02:08 PM   #80
bigdavesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
This is a typical knee-jerk reaction without using your brain. If you did, you'd know that the other side dropped support for old cards three years ago! So threats like what you just did only make you look silly.

And if your response will now be "there's the open source driver for those", well, there's one for old nv cards too - nouveau. And about the other possible response - "the other side actively supports open source"... Well, the r300 driver was initially reverse-engineered, just like nouveau is.
My response is not open source, it does not work. Nvidia-96 was updated in 2011, not three years ago. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be able to use the perfectly good card that I have.If that makes me look silly so be it.
bigdavesr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-12, 02:20 PM   #81
johnc

Quote:
My response is not open source, it does not work. Nvidia-96 was updated in 2011, not three years ago. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be able to use the perfectly good card that I have.If that makes me look silly so be it.
But I wouldn't recommend a cutting-edge distro for those circumstances.

Asking NVIDIA to invest resources into this is kind of wasteful IMO. It'd be cheaper for the economy as a whole to just upgrade hardware if you really need to use the latest software tech.
Old 07-12-12, 02:22 PM   #82
bigdavesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
You could get a new nvidia card for $10 and it'd be more powerful than most of this ancient hardware. Or are people still stuck on AGP motherboards or something?
Isure would like to know where you can buy new video cards for $10. Where i live used cards sell for at least $20 up depending on what it is.
bigdavesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-12, 02:23 PM   #83
Gusar

Quote:
My response is not open source, it does not work.
I can't parse this sentence. Do you mean nouveau doesn't work?

Quote:
Nvidia-96 was updated in 2011, not three years ago.
I was talking about *the other side*. Meaning ATi/AMD. And my point was that threatening to leave Nvidia, when they've supported old cards for two years longer than ATi/AMD have supported theirs, is silly.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with wanting to be able to use the perfectly good card that I have.
You can. You either downgrade X, or you use nouveau. Or you go with a LTS distro that still uses an older X.

Quote:
If that makes me look silly so be it.
Err, what? I was quite clear about what exactly is it that makes you look silly.
Old 07-12-12, 02:28 PM   #84
johnc

Quote:
Isure would like to know where you can buy new video cards for $10. Where i live used cards sell for at least $20 up depending on what it is.
If you need AGP or PCI then yes, you'll probably have to pay a premium.

But the GeForce 210 PCIe, e.g., is regularly on sale after rebate for $10. I picked one up myself (to replace a 7950 GX2) and it's perfect for a composited desktop.

But okay... say it's $20.

What's cheaper... you buying an updated card for $20 or NVIDIA spending five figures to go through all the rigmarole of updating their drivers?