Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-10, 06:04 AM   #37
Gusar

Default Re: nvidia and the wayland display server

Actually, I got the answer at the phoronix forums just a little bit after asking the question here. The answer is that currently DRI2 and KMS use is hardcoded in Wayland, but a very small adjustment would be needed to allow the nvidia blob. All that's needed in the driver is modesetting in the kernel, which nvidia already has, and support for a specific EGL extension, which I'm sure nvidia would quickly handle if they don't already.

In short: When Wayland gets closer to be usable and starts becoming default in distros, there will be nvidia support for it.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 02:33 PM   #38
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusar View Post
In short: When Wayland gets closer to be usable and starts becoming default in distros, there will be nvidia support for it.
That would be my guess, too. But hopefully by that time (=in a few years), nouveau will be good enough for everyday desktop usage anyway. And possibly even better than the blob at accelerating a typical desktop environment.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 05:15 PM   #39
gonzo_s

Nevertheless, NVidia proprietary driver will always be ahead and better
gonzo_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-10, 09:05 PM   #40
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Goat View Post
I read your post five times and I have no idea what you are trying to communicate. I'm guessing your joke isn't very funny.
The natural process in linux where nvidia is concerned is to have a bunch of whiners asking for source code when 99% of those whiners couldn't do bubkus with the code if they had it.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-10, 04:31 AM   #41
how

wayland is not any more capable than Xorg even with its undeveloped idea.

1. SGI has proven X and GLX to run industry 3D for years before any opensource drivers. Opensource driver now still lacking and incapable not to mention undeveloped wayland.

2. NVIDIA Linux is has been the best 3D fully capable high performance driver to date. Let NVIDIA do what they do best, after all Linux users purchase NVIDIA cards because of their good drivers.

Wayland may be good for Intel and old cards. There is no reason to use Wayland for NVIDIA or ATI. There is no point for NVIDIA to waste their effort in developing Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris to port to Wayland.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-10, 10:19 AM   #42
panzi

Well, according to this the only two things a Linux graphics driver needs to support for Wayland are:
  • A way to set the graphics mode (like kms, but it could also be a standalone library)
  • A way to share video memory buffers (for example an EGLImage) between processes

I don't understand much about this topic, but it doesn't sound that hard for me. Especially because it doesn't need to be KMS but just something like KMS. And the second part sounds like a good idea anyway. Doesn't Microsoft want such a (or a similar) feature from graphics drivers in order to improve their 3D rendered desktop? Anyway, it isn't stated that a particular API should be supported but just somehow these two features. I guess the glue code (the in this case Nvidia specific bindings) would be done by Wayland or Canonical.
panzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:17 AM   #43
Licaon

or maybe bypass all the items with issues and get it to run w/ framebuffer?
Like: Wayland partially working outside of X with a frame buffer (on nvidia)
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10, 09:30 AM   #44
hl_

Without any kind of hardware acceleration? No thanks.
hl_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-11, 09:28 AM   #45
TSa-glurks

HaloO,

sorry for warming up a relatively old thread but the subject is not closed yet.

Assuming that Wayland gets an abstraction layer like DDX I think it should be easy
for NVidia to provide a driver that hands out a buffer to the client. But how does a
client draw into that? The open source applications will use some non-NVidia library.
So the only way to have clients independent of the vendor of the graphics hardware
is to use OpenGL for rendering. The latter beeing available from NVidia in a version
compatible with their Wayland driver buffers.

Is OpenGL generally suitable for the 2D-part of traditional GUIs? Or are other libraries
foreseen for this task in the Wayland architecture? A related issue is that toolkits like
Qt need to have two underlying backends in the same library if the applications shall
be startable on X11 and on Wayland. Otherwise the choice between X11 and Wayland
is spilled into all the applications which need to be provided for both cases.

So my current understanding is that the difficulty for NVidia is the render library choosen
on application level. Their current aim is to provide accelerated OpenGL. Or am I misreading
things?

Regards, glurks.
TSa-glurks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 01:52 PM   #46
Licaon

Since Wayland bits start entering Ubuntu in 12.04 ( like starting from October 2010 ) maybe then you can expect some action there.
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 01:32 AM   #47
lavacano

Hey Aaron will you let us know or clarify-

When Canonical "convinces" Nvidia to support Wayland by writing a special back-end for your driver -

*Does this mean Canonical is considering extra code for your binary driver
-or-
*Will this "plugin" that they talked about be doing the compatibility?

*Has your stance changed "No plans for wayland..."

sources
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTA5OTY
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEwMjk
lavacano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-12, 12:52 PM   #48
RAMChYLD

This just peaked my curiosity a few days ago and I just have to add to this.

Why wouldn't NVidia just support the Wayland protocol? Two major distros have already expressed interest in moving to Wayland (one, Fedora, being an upstream distro which will mean that OpenSUSE, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and CentOS will too get Wayland support), and the other being the upstream of most popular distro in the world right now (yeah, Mint is a spin of Ubuntu), if not being one of the most widely used Linux distro. Also, I expect it's popularity will surge since Valve is porting Steam on it.

Also, will NVidia adopt Gallium3D support to it's drivers? That would be very useful to gamers, since if I'm not mistaken, Gallium3D supports accelerated translation of DirectX and will allow Wine to benefit from a nice speed boost with Windows games. And in time, will not only be used in Wayland, but has also been said to perform better than a traditional Mesa3D implementation.
  • "Edison" - Phenom II X4 925 AM3 (Deneb), M4N98TD-EVO (nForce980a SLI), ENGTS450 DirectCU 1GB (GeForce GTS450) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 8GB DDR3-1600
  • "Sally" - Athlon64 x2 5000+ AM2 (Brisbane), M4N72-E (nForce750a SLI), ENGTS250 Dark Knight 1GB (GeForce GTS250) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro, 4GB DDR2-1066
  • "Dongwa" - Phenom II X4 945 AM3 (Deneb), M4N75TD (nForce750a SLI), ENGTX260-216SP 896MB (GeForce GTX260 216SP) x2 (SLI), integrated GeForce8200, SoundBlaster X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion, 8GB DDR3-1600
  • "Helen" - Athlon64 x2 6400+ AM2 (Windsor), M4N78 Pro (GeForce8300), ENGT520 1GB (GeForce GT520), integrated GeForce8300, AuzenTech Prelude X-Fi, 4GB DDR2-1066.
  • "Clementine" - Athlon64 x2 3800+ AM2 (Windsor), TF560A2+ (nForce560), V8402GL26 (GeForce 8400GS), SoundBlaster Live! 5.1, Sonnet Allegro FW400 PCIe, 2GB DDR2-800
RAMChYLD is offline   Reply With Quote