Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-12, 01:20 PM   #1
Bman212121

Default Windows Phone 8

There is some pretty big news from their presentation today.

The main things are:

Windows phone 8 will use Windows 8 core

Native code (C/C++)

Multicore support

Higher screen resolution

Removable Storage

NFC

Secure boot / Bitlocker encryption

Skype and or other VOIP will be tightly integrated into the OS

IE10 Metro (Hopefully pages will render exactly like they would on a desktop)

No upgrade path for any WP7 devices, WP7.8 will include some of WP8's features

This makes WP8 very interesting. They were really trying to drive home the point that if you make an application that can run on Windows 8, it can quickly be tweaked and run on WP8. Since the OS handles all of the APIs for sensors, network, etc, the developer doesn't need to write code for drivers, they just tie into the exact same APIs that are used on all Windows platforms and it will work. They were also really pushing games and showing how you could write a game in C++, use DirectX and run the same games you could on other platforms. Obviously it's going to dependent upon the hardware but devs can scale performance accordingly.

4 makers for WP8 phones: Nokia, Samsung, HTC, and huawei.

There was talk of backward compatibility so all WP7 apps are supposed to be recompiled for wp8.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:25 AM   #2
Viral
Registered User of Women

Default Re: Windows Phone 8

It looks like they are finally set to do things right. WP7 was half way there, these changes just may make it a great system. Now if the devices are solid, I might just go that direction next year.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 12:53 AM   #3
mojoman0

2012-2013 pretty huge investments for microsoft..and not so sure footed. We've got Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone 8, and the next xbox. It will be interesting to see if the popularity of windows can make these new devices successful, especially since windows 8 isnt quite a home run
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 06:16 AM   #4
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
It looks like they are finally set to do things right. WP7 was half way there, these changes just may make it a great system. Now if the devices are solid, I might just go that direction next year.
Pretty sure x86 phones are the future. Nokia and intel.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 06:37 AM   #5
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
2012-2013 pretty huge investments for microsoft..and not so sure footed. We've got Windows 8, Surface, Windows Phone 8, and the next xbox. It will be interesting to see if the popularity of windows can make these new devices successful, especially since windows 8 isnt quite a home run
Not on the desktop, but I've had folks say it's pretty nice when it's actually on a touch capable device. Haven't had the opportunity to test that for myself, but I wouldn't mind trying it out.
grey_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 07:58 AM   #6
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
The xbox part has me the most intrigued now after all of these announcements. You really have to think this is also going to run the core from Windows 8 on it so developers can easily move their games from any of the platforms.
Old 06-21-12, 08:17 PM   #7
Rakeesh

It is metro, so you know it will be gay.

Yeah, I know, people say metro means straight while only acting gay, but the fact is, metro is just gay.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-12, 11:52 AM   #8
TheOneAndOnly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
There is some pretty big news from their presentation today.

The main things are:

Windows phone 8 will use Windows 8 core
Why is this a good thing? What was wrong with the CE underpinnings of WP7?

Quote:
Native code (C/C++)
Which wasn't really a problem in WP7 that needed solving. But it's probably a good thing.

Quote:
Multicore support
Which was a strange omission in the first place, since the CE underpinnings of the WP7 kernel supported multicore in the first place, but WP7 itself did not.

Quote:
Higher screen resolution
A good thing. But having multiple resolutions to support can be troublesome for the devs.

Quote:
Removable Storage
A good thing. Not that I've ever used it once in my lifetime, but others do.

Quote:
NFC
Question: Is this form of NFC universally supported as a standard? Or is this an MS-only function? If it is the latter, it will be dead on arrival.

Quote:
Secure boot / Bitlocker encryption
This is certainly a plus. I wish more phones/tablets supported this.

Quote:
Skype and or other VOIP will be tightly integrated into the OS
It has yet to be seen how well it works. MS bought out Skype, but they are still their own operation for some reason. Maybe thats a good thing. I will wait til I see it to pass judgment.

Quote:
IE10 Metro (Hopefully pages will render exactly like they would on a desktop)
I will have to admit, so far IE10 is slicker than snot. And quite possibly the fastest and most responsive browser available right now, even in its beta form. It's too bad the interface and functionality will suck balls if its anything like the desktop. And it doesn't support plug-ins. But thats par for the course on tablets/phones, so no viable gripe there.

Quote:
No upgrade path for any WP7 devices, WP7.8 will include some of WP8's features
Now this was really a stupid move on Microsofts part. Abandon (for the second time in two years) their user base. Just bought the top of the line Nokia 900? Your sh*t out of luck. Meanwhile, Apple still supports the 3GS, which came out over a year after WP7 did.
How long will the Windows Phone fanbois hold out before they realize MS doesn't have the faintest clue as to what it is doing?

Quote:
This makes WP8 very interesting.
But not if you want to have faith that your purchase will be supported long-term. Remarkable that I need to say that, considering MS has a history of supporting XP for up to 12 years. But the phones and tablet market? Not so much

Quote:
They were really trying to drive home the point that if you make an application that can run on Windows 8, it can quickly be tweaked and run on WP8. Since the OS handles all of the APIs for sensors, network, etc, the developer doesn't need to write code for drivers, they just tie into the exact same APIs that are used on all Windows platforms and it will work. They were also really pushing games and showing how you could write a game in C++, use DirectX and run the same games you could on other platforms. Obviously it's going to dependent upon the hardware but devs can scale performance accordingly.
We'll have to see on that. AFAIK, it is already a trivial matter with the current programming tools to do that. the problem is, you need to reprogram in the first place because of the differing interfaces. Tablet UI /= Phone UI, even in the Windows 8 world. Just like you wouldn't want to use an iPhone app in iPad without making obvious changed to each platform, the same goes for Windows 8. At least for the sane developers.

Quote:
4 makers for WP8 phones: Nokia, Samsung, HTC, and huawei.
Doesn't matter how many makers you have. If none of them can make a decent phone, it doesn't matter. So far, only one company can make a decent Windows Phone, and thats Nokia. Too bad their current offerings are going to be considered obsolete in 6 months, while the 2009 iPhone 3GS is still going to be supported by iOS 6 this fall. IOW, their current top of the line phones are being sabotaged by Windows 8.
TheOneAndOnly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-12, 12:41 PM   #9
Bman212121

Basically all of the things like native C++, Windows 8 core, multicore support are all tied into using Windows 8's kernel. The sole reason why it's so imperative to have this is for cross platform support. It would be one thing to just keep on the same path with their CE kernel and requiring developers to make separate Windows phone, Windows RT, and possibly Windows 8 versions of their apps. If that were the case I would bet that both Windows Phone and Windows RT would likely suffer. By moving all of these operating systems onto one common platform, this greatly increases the incentive to develop for Windows devices.

I would agree that the launch of WP7 is kind of in a really awkward position. It really was just a temporary stop gap to get from Windows Mobile to Windows Phone 8. However, other than users of the Lumia 900s I would wager aren't too worried at all about not having their phones supported. Most of the other phones on the market are due for upgrades by the time Windows Phone 8 is rolled out. I would guess that switching to Windows 8 kernel is going to be using a lot more resources than WP7 does, so the older devices would be able to run it smoothly.

MS is not really abandoning WP7 users as they already stated you'll get some of the upgrades. There will still be plenty of applications that can be built for WP7 and will work just fine on WP7 or WP8. The main thing is really opening up the door for full on gaming. Imaging running CryEngine or UE4 right on your phone to host the latest games. Using Windows 8 kernel with C++ support will let them do just that.

I have an HTC trophy and I can certainly tell you that this phone is a solid phone. It doesn't have the best camera, or the largest screen, but beyond that it is very fast, stable, and it can take a beating. I've already dropped this phone a few times and is perfectly functional. HTC will definitely be able to make a newer phone that has the better camera and larger screen which will be a strong competitor to ANY phone.
Old 07-13-12, 01:26 PM   #10
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

I have high hopes for WP8 but most of it will depend on app support. I don't like the fact they have already opted for crappy Bing maps instead of Google's offering which is the best you can get. Just one example of their contempt to all things Google.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-12, 05:35 PM   #11
fraggelrock
He Honked de Honk O Honks

My Samsung Galaxy 2s is a great phone, but this Win8 phone talk is making me consider it. What about the Win8 app store, what's it like?

CPU : Intel i5
Mobo: ASRock P67
Mem : 4 GB
GPU : 880GTS
KEY : Fatal1ty
MOS : Fatal1ty Pro Laser
fraggelrock is offline   Reply With Quote