Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Political Forums

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-05-12, 07:33 PM   #1
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Default NASA scientist links climate change, extreme weather

Quote:
(CNN) -- What do the 2010 heat wave in Russia, last year's Texas drought, and the 2003 heat wave in Europe have in common?

All are examples of extreme weather caused by climate change, according to a new study from NASA scientist James Hansen.
http://edition.cnn.com/2012/08/05/us...html?hpt=us_c2

I really hope the world pulls it's head out of the sand on this issue ASAP. As an Australian, I'm proud that Australia has put a price on carbon pollution.

P.S. First!
Old 08-09-12, 01:41 PM   #2
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton
Default Re: NASA scientist links climate change, extreme weather

I'm all for climate change. Once the icecap melts, my house in Indiana should be beach front property. That should up the property value.
winton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-12, 07:44 AM   #3
rhink

James Hansen? He's not a scientist, he's a political hack. He's just not credible. He claimed a decade ago the waterfront along NYC's east river would be underwater by now due to sea level rise. He claimed in testimony to congress 15-20 years ago that we'd have experienced catastrophic climate change by now... but temps are lower than his best-case scenario (i.e. what temps would be if we kept emissions at 1990 levels).

He's an activist that routinely gets arrested at protests and has called coal trains "death trains". He's biased and his predictions are routinely incorrect.
rhink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 06:02 PM   #4
turdhat

Hansen might be hack but if you look back over weather history you can see we are having some strange patterns. I live in the #1 state in 2012 for severe weather. I was shocked to hear that we are #1 in Tornadoes in both frequency and power, wind damage, large damaging hail and I could go on. No, it's not Tx, or OK, or MS or TN. Nope.. Kentucky !!

I have lived in Louisville, Kentucky all of the the 40 years I have been on this planet and i can tell you FOR CERTAIN that the weather has changed here and it has been dramatic.

Nice winter snows were part of my childhood with most of my favorite memories being in the winter. Now, it is like what winter? Any precipitation is rain, highs that used to average in the 30's low 40's day now in the upper 40's and even 50's in what used to be our coldest and most bitter months which was late January to late February. Now, it is a joke. We have not had a good snow in years AND we had two freaking terrible large scale Tornado outbreaks. One in January ?!?! WTF ! And one on March 2-3 which was all over national news. Henrville, IN is about 25 miles north of Louisville. It has gotten crazy, has remained that way for a few years now, more crazy is on the way tomorrow and it seems worse every year.

When I was growing up it might not have snowed 7 to 8 inches at a time(sometimes) but it did drop small amounts more often and didnt get cold enough to melt so there was always snow to play in during that time of year. Now people get excited when it snows at all as it has become more special since we do not get it anywhere near what we used to....

I have had a new roof this year because of wind damage, the drought has caused the dirt to pull away from our foundation and our covered porch has dropped and separated from the house by almost 2 inches. We have a lot of clay in this area. When it gets too dry for too long the cray shrinks back and pulls away. The house is moving and there is now a crack above a door in the damn drywall !This house was built in 69 and it has not been this dry since 36). I am finding that 1969 home foundation specs didnt plan for months of almost no rain and 108 degree days which are new records we set this year. Louisville has had rain in places but we have had had less rain than ever this summer in recorded, local weather history for our part of Jefferson COuntry. The storms keep missing us and raining in the East end of town. There are cracks in the back yard large enough for small child to fall in to and the grass is nearly dead everywhere. Trees are dropping leaves like it is October..

Never, have i seen it like this.
Gigabyte 580 @945/2232
4 Gigs Ripjaw @ 1600
Antec (a good one) 650w
A Partridge in a pear tree.
turdhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 12:55 AM   #5
zer0
just breathe

42c here whew
zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-12, 03:02 AM   #6
Harnagel
Lurker

If there is one thing history has taught us it's that regional climates change. They always have and they will continue to do so. The entire "climate change" movement has as a fundamental error at it's roots in that it assumes that regional climates should remain constant. I am not sure if or to what extent humans are contributing to this change, but I really don't think anyone really does either. I just can't put a lot of stock into the models most of these studies use, they rely on too many crazy assumptions.

Humans have been successful through history because they can adapt to their environment even though it changes. I think our efforts would be better placed in increasing our adaptability and durability rather than trying to stop regional climate variations.